City of Burnaby

City of Burnaby Employee Reviews

Canada39 reviews
Municipal Goverment
A diverse workplace with opportunity for training and career growth. The organization is large and has opportunity to move around with in the organization, progressing up a career ladder, moving laterally with in departments, or working in multiple departments.
Old school ways
A place to work when you are older, not younger. You are told when your breaks and lunch are instead of being treated like an adult. A big clash between baby boomers and millennials.
disorganized
Depending on your supervisor, they all play favorites.
None of the union collective agreements are followed. New friends of management are hired and given hours instead of offering them to existing employees. Hour can be cut at any time.

standard breaks are non existent.

Overtime is carried over and added to other days, so you don't get time and a half, and the supervisor looks good for not having staff work overtime.
Great atmosphere and flexible hours, perfect for students.
Great friendly atmosphere, shifts are typically 4-5hrs which are great for students. Typical shifts are repetitive and usually very straight forward which also makes it a great option for a first job.
Was a great place to work
Wish I never left was one of the best jobs and company. The work was different everyday and had a great group of guys working in all departments. The hours were good.
Great group of people
I love working as a lifeguard/swim instructor at the city of Burnaby, always many great experiences with great people! We don't get paid vacation days but we get payment in lieu.
Excellent productive work environment
Great people to work with. Always willing to help each other. Always work available. Union atmosphere, and team work.

Lots of chances for advancement.
I really do not want to review the cit of burnaby. It overall is a great place to work and recommend it to anybody that wants job stability and plenty of time for family
It’s fun place to work
It’s honour to working with city of Burnaby, friendly staff, good pay, most of the jobs are easy. All the bosses and supervisors are very nice. Union job
Benefits
Cons
Auxiliary no benefits
Good Fun place
Great place to work and good team and workplace culture. Management is very understanding and leadership provide a true leadership. It was an amazing experience.
Fun place to work because I deal with many people
Volunteered at the City of Burnaby for many summers. But how can one get employed at the City? Places like this are nepotism inspired places! If you are not related to anybody already working inside -you won’t get hired at all!
Pros
Dealing with public is fun
Cons
Nepotism
great place to protest economy
citizens want to eat food and use items manufactured elsewhere but do not want to contribute to global economy with pipelines passing through their community
Pros
decent spot
Cons
citizens don't like tankers nor pipelines
Worst employer experience
Got injured permanently after countless efforts to try to refuse unsafe work. I was off for over a year with barely any contact with the employer. Absolutely no effort for accomadations for permanently injured workers. I was working fulltime as a auxiliary mon-fri prior to injury. All hr could come up with over a year later was a on call position with a pay cut.

Also the union offers barely any support and is most likely in bed with management. Total shock that this is a government sector employer. SHADY BUSINESS!
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
You work here because you have to
Terrible, this company is absolutely terrible. There is nothing positive about working here. I couldn't get paid enough if I were to offered another job at this horrible workplace.
Cons
Worst place to work, ever
Just a warm body with management saying one thing and doing another
Management within the company tell you what you want to hear and preach about how much they care for their employees but when it comes down to it all that matters is the bottom line.
Great employer
I loved volunteering for the City of Burnaby.I volunteered in many different areas. My co volunteers were great to work with, as well as those where were overseeing me
Fun work atmosphere...
Professional job with effective management team. Opportunity for advancement. Fun and positive work atmosphere. Effective training programs. Great opportunity to work in the outdoors.
Pros
Very good for your lifestyle/fitness.
Cons
Heavy lifting of sport equipment.
NIghtmare! Management is HORRIBLE!
Everyone lives in fear. No one has your back, ever. People take credit for your work and management tracks your every move. Some people (professionals) are required to report on every 15 minutes of work they do, everyday! The first opportunity that comes along, you get thrown under the bus! Co-workers are encouraged to report on other workers. It's pathetic!
Pros
Cons
management, work environment
Good cause
Staff were friendly, however, no improvement in participation over the years.
Social environment
Build good strong relationships with the young adults and co-workers. Very fun experience that practices your leadership skills and character. Learned to be initiative throughout the workplace and constantly learned to improved on new sets of skills.
Pros
Very positive environment
Cons
Short hours but longer hours in the summer
Fast paced work enviroment
Working for the City of Burnaby has been a fun challenge for me. There are a variety of different departments and facilities you can work at depending on what you are looking for.
The energy is very fast paced at the facility I work at and my coworkers are very enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Team players
Cons
People having complaints