City of Burnaby

City of Burnaby Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews

Collaborative Environment

Busyness fluctuates throughout the day, but working collaboratively makes it do-able. I learned to manage time, prioritize tasks, and honed my interpersonal skills.

Workers are stressed and depressed. No work/life balance

My job is stressful. Add to that, working with leaders who are narcissistic sociopaths who bully staff does not help.Covid taught me how well the City of Burnaby really cares, as in DOES NOT, for their employees. The leaders of the City of Burnaby are under the illusion that this is the best place to work, it's not! Their pay is lower than most municipalities, and the HR department is broken. In fact most departments there are broken. The place needs a full overhaul and new leadership who are actually listening to the employees and not the bullcr@p from middle managers who don't listen or care about their staff, it's very discouraging.I wouldn't recommend working here to my worst enemy. I'm looking forward to quitting as soon as I find a different job! Best part of my day, is driving out of the parking lot and going home.

Pros

They have bathrooms and running water

Cons

There are too many cons to list. If they offer you a job RUN the other way!

Insights into City of Burnaby

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Supportive environment

Low pay, weak union.

The union has no backbone and the pay is way under the private sector. The management sucks, and doesn't care, probably because they are under paid too. Can't retain any workers and every department is short staffed.

Great people, good pay for what you do. Union aspect makes advancement tough.

Simultaneously relaxed yet fast paced setting. Kind, personable, and knowledgeable bosses. Really good pay for some of the jobs. Advancement could be tough because of union.

Because the City of Burnaby is a large municipal organization, every position and department will potentially have its own pros, cons and experiences.

Because everyone in my position begins as an auxiliary worker, it can be difficult obtaining enough hours solely doing this job. Many people work other auxiliary positions within the City (or at other municipalities) to fill this need. Part-time and full-time permanent positions come very rarely and are highly competitive to obtain as the senior staff usually bid their time and are waiting to snatch the opportunity for permanent full-time work when it becomes available. Otherwise, the job duties are pretty standard and managers are good. Cannot complain about the work environment.

Pros

Good pay, unionized job, stress-free work environment.

Cons

Shift work, irregular hours/shifts, very few part-time and full-time positions.

Very inclusive place to work at!

City of Burnaby cares about its employees and its a fun place to work at. Lot of room for advancement depending on what you would like to do for the rest of your life.

Good work-life balance

Fulfilling work in providing service to the community. Positive teams overall. Workplace culture is generally respectful. Very well run municipality with healthy budget.

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

Lower pay compared to other municipalities

Municipal Goverment

A diverse workplace with opportunity for training and career growth. The organization is large and has opportunity to move around with in the organization, progressing up a career ladder, moving laterally with in departments, or working in multiple departments.

disorganized

Depending on your supervisor, they all play favorites. None of the union collective agreements are followed. New friends of management are hired and given hours instead of offering them to existing employees. Hour can be cut at any time. standard breaks are non existent. Overtime is carried over and added to other days, so you don't get time and a half, and the supervisor looks good for not having staff work overtime.

Great atmosphere and flexible hours, perfect for students.

Great friendly atmosphere, shifts are typically 4-5hrs which are great for students. Typical shifts are repetitive and usually very straight forward which also makes it a great option for a first job.

Was a great place to work

Wish I never left was one of the best jobs and company. The work was different everyday and had a great group of guys working in all departments. The hours were good.

Great group of people

I love working as a lifeguard/swim instructor at the city of Burnaby, always many great experiences with great people! We don't get paid vacation days but we get payment in lieu.

Excellent productive work environment

Great people to work with. Always willing to help each other. Always work available. Union atmosphere, and team work. Lots of chances for advancement.

I really do not want to review the cit of burnaby. It overall is a great place to work and recommend it to anybody that wants job stability and plenty of time for family

It’s fun place to work

It’s honour to working with city of Burnaby, friendly staff, good pay, most of the jobs are easy. All the bosses and supervisors are very nice. Union job

Benefits

Cons

Auxiliary no benefits

Good Fun place

Great place to work and good team and workplace culture. Management is very understanding and leadership provide a true leadership. It was an amazing experience.

Fun place to work because I deal with many people

Volunteered at the City of Burnaby for many summers. But how can one get employed at the City? Places like this are nepotism inspired places! If you are not related to anybody already working inside -you won’t get hired at all!

Pros

Dealing with public is fun

Cons

Nepotism

great place to protest economy

citizens want to eat food and use items manufactured elsewhere but do not want to contribute to global economy with pipelines passing through their community

Pros

decent spot

Cons

citizens don't like tankers nor pipelines

Worst employer experience

Got injured permanently after countless efforts to try to refuse unsafe work. I was off for over a year with barely any contact with the employer. Absolutely no effort for accomadations for permanently injured workers. I was working fulltime as a auxiliary mon-fri prior to injury. All hr could come up with over a year later was a on call position with a pay cut. Also the union offers barely any support and is most likely in bed with management. Total shock that this is a government sector employer. SHADY BUSINESS!

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

You work here because you have to

Terrible, this company is absolutely terrible. There is nothing positive about working here. I couldn't get paid enough if I were to offered another job at this horrible workplace.

Cons

Worst place to work, ever

Just a warm body with management saying one thing and doing another

Management within the company tell you what you want to hear and preach about how much they care for their employees but when it comes down to it all that matters is the bottom line.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Burnaby. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare City of Burnaby with

City of Burnaby reviews by location

Learn about City of Burnaby in popular locations