City Of Burlington Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with some demanding tasks
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 April 2018
Some of the job requirements and tasks were extremely physically demanding. It was also a requirement to work on weekends and I was not able to book off any vacation time which made it extremely difficult to have any kind of social life.
Pros
Great crew and supervisor
Cons
Requirement to work on weekends, demanding physical labour
Was a perfect place to work summer student work terms during my years in University.
Temporary Equipment Operator T-80 (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 February 2018
- Safe work environment, friendly work place social environment and a great place to gain skills.
- I learned how to operate roto-tillers, pick-up trucks, lawn maintenance equipment, asphalt hot boxes, gators, leaf blowers and other sorts of maintenance equipment.
- Friendly supervisors. I felt comfortable approaching them and discussing any personal issues.
- The hardest part of the job was providing service to the community while silmultaneously creating issues for the community such as traffic. For example our road set ups would often cause traffic jams that made people quite upset.
- The best part of the job was working with a team day in and day out. Having the ability to communicate any issues with team members and learn from one another.
Pros
Great work hours
Cons
Lots of driving
Fun work place with fun events
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 February 2018
As a transit operator I start morning as early as 4.30 am and it ends sometimes at 1.30 am . I learnt to handle customers for different races and ethnic background. Learnt how to assist people with disabilities. Burlington Transit is a great place to work with wonderful management support and change for better. Although the job come with long sitting hours difficult to takes washroom breaks and difficult weather conditions as well as drivers on the road who do not follow the rules and regulations at times but he most enjoyable part of this job is you meet difficult customers every route and the pleasure you get of giving the best customer service gives you the satisfication serving the community in the best possible way you can within your capacity..
Pros
Easy shifts with breaks after every four hours
Cons
Long driving hours unable to take washroom breaks when needed in emergency
Wish there was more full/Part time positions.
Recreation Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 December 2017
Amazing place to work. Loved Management.
Love the guest you meet every day. Happy environment.
Only problem is very few people work full-time. Barely enough hours for part-time which is still contract.
Pros
Management and guest
Cons
not enough hours for full time/part time. Need a second job
Positive place
Senior Skate Patrol/Cashier (part time contracts) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 November 2017
Very positive environment and the management was great. Few hours so wasn't quite able to get all i needed but very good part time job if that's what your looking for.
great place
MAINTENANCE / TEMPORARTY OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 July 2017
Fun in the sun
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 May 2017
Working for Nelson pool in the summers was pretty nice. Fun staff great weather, I loved working outside all summer long!! Certain staff in Winter were less fun but oh well.
Excellent
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 May 2017
Great work environment. Very progressive municipal environment. Education opportunities are available frequently. Management are considerate and effective.
interesting job
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 May 2017
not much to say
desk job... 45 min lunch, 35 hour work week
dealt with residents, typically unhappy... its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation
you must love to live to make people as happy as you can given the policies and options possible
loved it while i was there for the first 8 years, then management changed
HR not very friendly or compassionate to workers - they live to support upper management only
Pros
friendly co-workers 80% of the time
Cons
too many chiefs
Great pay and work, management needs to be worked on.
Instructor Guard (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 February 2017
I loved the people and the atmosphere.
The management was awful, very unorganized, one time they casually lost my tax and banking information.
Pros
Great atmosphere and pay
Cons
Bad management
Gym available
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 February 2017
Its pretty much balanced.
You work a shift 8 hrs gap before we get another shift,
Never too stressed or loaded.
Work is Time bound according to the Bus schedule never early, on time or little late depending on traffic and weather condition.
Helpful people and management.
Salary is good.
Productive and Diverse learning environment along with work
Maintainence Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 May 2016
I learned valuable work place management skills along with how to deal with a variety of customers through day to day interactions. My co workers provided me with a safe friendly workplace environment and helped me along my way as I started to learn the basics of working.
Student Labourer
Horticulture crew (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 December 2015
A leisure job with friendly co-workers that are relatively within the same age group. Employers were nice and the application process is simple. A typical day at work involves maintaing roadside flower beds and medians.
City requires a lot of certifications
civic recreation centres - Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON.9 July 2015
With this position as an aquafit instructor, it was part time and the pay did not cover the expenses of travel and pool gear required, along with current CPR and other required certifications which are every 2 years. The facilities are nice but the regulations are very restrictive.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
lifeguarding staff (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 April 2015
I enjoy working with youth and seniors in this job. I enjoyed learning and working in a water environment.

- i learned different ways of teaching skills.
- My co-workers were very supportive and helping when i needed help.
- most enjoyable part of the job: meeting new people and learning new skills from co-workers.
Pros
Free breaks in between shifts
Cons
Long hours in pool
Operations Maintenance
Operations Attendant, Grade (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 March 2015
A fine place to work with good co-workers. A job that always keeps you busy and you can always learn new things. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a team and accomplishing goals.
where I work now
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 February 2015
I love this job! Its very physical job which is great but the best part is we work with a partner one on one everyday. They become your good friend. Hours can be long but thats okay. We have the greatest boss by far. She doesn't hassle us and lets us get the work done. Very easy to talk to as well. Although this isn't what i want to do for the rest of my life as I am a personal support worker. I have also recently finished school and received my medical terminology. I do recommend this job for girls just starting out and want the experience of a full time job.
Pros
great people to work with, best boss ever
Team players
Class BZ City Bus & Handi-Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 September 2014
A typical day can start at 4 am day shift or end at 1:30 am night shift. I could drive for 8-12 hours depending on what I've been given. Could have a straight shift, split shift and/or OT. I have learned Time Management, Customer Service, Problen Solving and Communication Skills.The hardest part of the job is also my most enjoyable part of the job, my customers.
Enjoyed assisting the public.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2014
This position worked was good for me and gave me the opportunity to be at home with my family when they needed me most.

I love being outdoors and the city supplied a very warm coat I was never cold.
Pros
This job gave me all responsibility.
Cons
Not enough hours for me.
Positive Fun Environment
Event Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 March 2014
I enjoy working for a variety of so many great events. It is wonderinful to interact with the community and learn so much from the talented planners.