City of Burlington, Ontario

City of Burlington, Ontario Employee Reviews

Great place to work.

Most people are amazing. A few bad apples but overall love my job. A lot of work in the area I’m in but lots of kind helpful encouraging staff. Management truly care. Great location close to the lake and plenty of locations for a lunch break

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

A few people are not respectful

Super fun work place, great opportunities for career advancement

Really great salary considering the job, amazing supervisors and lots of opportunity for advancement with the city! Loved every moment of working there, I worked in the arenas and supervisors were amazing, employees were so friendly and swapping shifts was a breeze. I was offered an opportunity to advance within a few months, hard work is always rewarded there! They treat their employees very well too, when my facilities were shut down due to covid they paid employees for their regularly scheduled shifts for the next month, and communicated everything very well. Very accommodating and provided excellent training, catered to the specific employee.

Pros

Good shifts, helpful and friendly coworkers and management, easy to advance, frequent pay increases

Cons

None!

Fun volunteer experience

I volunteered for one week, as a leader at a Summer Camp offered by the City of Burlington. It was a fun experience to work with kids and other youth from my city.

Fantastic Work Atmosphere

While I had the opportunity to acquire many important and useful skills the aquatics department was poorly managed by the facilitators and coordinators. However, I did enjoy immeasurably the work atmosphere which I had the pleasure of being a part of each and every day.

Pros

The Staff Team

Cons

The Management Team

Amazing office work experience

Working with the City of Burlington provided me with an amazing opportunity in customer service. I learned how to effectively communicate in a more mature setting involving building permits, drawings, and more. I dealt with customer complaints in regard to the city itself over the phone, which gave me extensive experience handling negative situations.

Fun and Productive work environement

The City of Burlington is a great place to work. Safety and successful customer service are top priority while still managing to be a fun work environment.

Good workplace, good people to work with

Good job hours, flexible, good amount of work load per shift and good people to work with. good benefits, good for people who may have to commute to work

A Memorable Experience

Working for the City of Burlington was by far one of my best work experiences to date. The hours were perfect, i.e. 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday. The staff I worked with were friendly, approachable and more than helpful. The actual work experience; the learning new software programs, a true comprehension of provincial offences court procedure from start from finish, was exciting and motivating. I truly appreciated the patience management showed towards me, and the knowledge instilled through their leadership.

Pros

Fantastic hours and great pay

Cons

Some days were slow when court was closed

Fun place

Fun place Long hours Experience an asset Patience Respect Mature Must wear uniform Respect policy Be on time Fast learner Able to read map Ride along Take initiative

Pros

Free lunches

City of Burlington

A great place to work, I thoroughly enjoyed my job while at the City of Burlington. Many opportunities to move and change positions within the organization.

Pros

Free workshops, usually on how to improve people skills and skills working with other staff members

great staff in parks and rec

good place to work staff are fun and energetic, management can be a little questionable deepening on where you work and who you work for. overall a good place to work if your 16 to 23 years old and looking to build your resume.

Pros

fun and friendly staff

Cons

inconstant management

Dont speak up

Great coworkers . Management for the most part don't care. Favouritism is HIGH. If you are liked by management your good. HR policies do not apply to all staff.

Management Problems

Many of the Managers are unorganized, hours and job titles are usually not given to the right people and many employees are screwed over with no where near as many hours as they requested

Lifeguard for the city

I would sit in a chair and watch patrons as they do a lap swim, it taught me to be aware of my surroundings and to always be aware of what is happening.

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Patrons will sometimes yell and get angry

Good Work

This was the place I did my High School CO-OP. During my time in Secondary School, I was interested with Urban Planning. I'd figure I'd give City Hall a shot. During my time at city hall, I constructed different kinds of word documents, made spreadsheets on excel, assisted other employee's, and worked with the Internal GIS software. Overall, it was a great starter experience for the field. However, during my last 2 months of the CO-OP, I hardly had any work, and business became slow. I'd say it was a great opportunity to get my "feet wet" in the industry.

Fun workplace with some demanding tasks

Some of the job requirements and tasks were extremely physically demanding. It was also a requirement to work on weekends and I was not able to book off any vacation time which made it extremely difficult to have any kind of social life.

Pros

Great crew and supervisor

Cons

Requirement to work on weekends, demanding physical labour

Great

Great company to work for. Worked there for the majority of my teen years. I made lifelong friends working there, and always felt supported and encouraged to succeed.

Was a perfect place to work summer student work terms during my years in University.

- Safe work environment, friendly work place social environment and a great place to gain skills. - I learned how to operate roto-tillers, pick-up trucks, lawn maintenance equipment, asphalt hot boxes, gators, leaf blowers and other sorts of maintenance equipment. - Friendly supervisors. I felt comfortable approaching them and discussing any personal issues. - The hardest part of the job was providing service to the community while silmultaneously creating issues for the community such as traffic. For example our road set ups would often cause traffic jams that made people quite upset. - The best part of the job was working with a team day in and day out. Having the ability to communicate any issues with team members and learn from one another.

Pros

Great work hours

Cons

Lots of driving

Fun work place with fun events

As a transit operator I start morning as early as 4.30 am and it ends sometimes at 1.30 am . I learnt to handle customers for different races and ethnic background. Learnt how to assist people with disabilities. Burlington Transit is a great place to work with wonderful management support and change for better. Although the job come with long sitting hours difficult to takes washroom breaks and difficult weather conditions as well as drivers on the road who do not follow the rules and regulations at times but he most enjoyable part of this job is you meet difficult customers every route and the pleasure you get of giving the best customer service gives you the satisfication serving the community in the best possible way you can within your capacity..

Pros

Easy shifts with breaks after every four hours

Cons

Long driving hours unable to take washroom breaks when needed in emergency

Wish there was more full/Part time positions.

Amazing place to work. Loved Management. Love the guest you meet every day. Happy environment. Only problem is very few people work full-time. Barely enough hours for part-time which is still contract.

Pros

Management and guest

Cons

not enough hours for full time/part time. Need a second job

No work life balance. Workload is far to high.

Workloads are beyond achievable. There is very little support from management. The people you work with are fantastic but management and above are very difficult and expect far too much from their staff. Entry level is treated very poorly and you have to work late hours and early mornings to be respected.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Burlington, Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2