City of Brampton

Working at City of Brampton: Employee Reviews

Canada345 reviews

citycamprecreationswimmingvolunteerchildexperiencefun

Productive and fun

Worked as a co-op student for 4 months. Management and co workers taught me a lot about the Ontario building code and they are very nice people to work with.

Mismanagement starts and ends with Council and Commissioners

Keep Councillors away from staff and operations. Hire proven leaders within upper management (Commissioners and Directors), not based on certifications and lower job function expertise. Leadership all lacked management and strategy skills and experience that is required to run a "business " and manage people and projects.

Insights into City of Brampton

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Decent Part Time Job

I worked as a lifeguard and swimming instructor. Hours were planned in-between seasons so there were no random shifts given, you had a full weekly schedule that lasted the entire season (helpful for when you're in school). Coworkers are mostly students (high school and college) so they are easy to interact with. Management was pretty decent too. Pay and benefits could use some work.

Pros

-Good coworkers, -Good Training, -Good work life balance

Cons

-Pay

Nice co-workers

I enjoy working here. Great team to work with. Got along well with management. Lots to learn. Opportunities to take courses. Good work environment, but customers could be very abusive.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No benefits for part time or contracted employees

Stress free environment

It is a stress free environment. I love my work because it allows me to assist the people of Brampton. Knowing that i can make a difference by helping in person or guiding a customer online to achieve what they need from the recreation department makes me feel good.

Unrewarded Work Place with Skeletal Crew

Working at City of Brampton is either a very relaxed experience with minimal expectations or receiving a job that requires you to constantly stay past your shifts while be told to do more more more. It's unrewarding and management seems more concerned with metrics than the people.

Long term

Secure job after probation. Career progression is slow. Can stand out if you know what you’re doing and show off at the right moment in front of the right people.

Pros

High pay

Cons

Growth opportunity

Productive and fun. Great supervisors

It’s fun. The supervisors were very supportive. The environment is fast paced but easily adapted. There’s so much benefits and it’s amusing to work with the team

Great place to work where everyone is significantly collaborative. Management is helpful and so is everyone else. Hope they do work from home in the near future.

Working in the Community Centre as an instructor has been an awesome experience. I love the atmosphere...the energy, enthusiasm and kindness

I am always impressed with the positive atmosphere both in the Communty Centre and in dealing with fellow Recreation staff. City of Brampton’s commitment to staff training and respect in the workplace really shows. Such a positive and inclusive energy in the facility where I work. Great example of people working together as a team to build something great!

Felt Part Of A Team

I taught Zumba, cardio groove and shadowed Walk/Tone classes 1-3x a week at the City's various rec centres. I also helped out with floor shifts occasionally and attended staff meetings. Any supervisory changes are communicated to everyone by email so nobody is left in the dark. Most of the fitness and recreation staff at the rec centres are laidback and easy going about class attendance minus one particular rec centre that I used to teach once a week at. They were very pushy about having a minimum of 15 participants per class along with wanting to gain more sales in personal training, memberships and other registered programs.

Good opportunity to serve your community

If you don't like driving and don't like face to face customer service, don't apply. The salary and benefits will never compensate enough. If you enjoy the 2 criteria I mentioned you'll enjoy it.

Pros

Corner office with great views, and lots of travel

Great place for first jons

You can work your way up with additional qualifications. You can always improve. Great job for teens who need a first time job, you can network and learn skills in a community environment. You'll probably end up staying.

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Trainings

excellent place to work very supportive management

very busy day at work, i have learned a lot at the company, management are very supportive, workplace culture is great everyone is helpful and friendly

Fun and great workplace overall

I was working there as a co-op student. Coworkers and management was great. Even being a student I felt being a good and valuable member of the team.

You either work hard, or watch people work hard.

Working part-time was good for the time I was in school as hours were very flexible and really helped make the workload and school balance less stressful. Unfortunately there's a theme of entitlement not to do certain work because of XYZ (everybody seems to have a reason). As a business, they struggle with communication within departments and even more so across departments. There's far too many micro managing individuals directing control over tasks they don't seem to understand. If you want flexible hours and simple work - it's there. There's nothing about the work (recreation) itself that is problematic. Keep in mind, across the board, the City of Brampton pays their part time staff much less than the surrounding major cities.

Pros

Super Flexible hours.

Cons

Unbalanced expectations, poor communication through management, minimal room for growth

It was a great place to work. I worked at a smaller gym and they were very community focused. Once you got your shifts they were yours. Sometimes there would be a few hiccups with house scheduled by management (getting scheduled for shifts you could not work) but they were always easy to fix.Great over all experience.

Good job

Good job, good hours of operation and good benefitsGood training and staff a wealth of knowledge is gained ability to move to various jobs within the organization

Fun relaxed place to work and teach

nice place to work and have fun teaching and working with friendly managers and co-workers in a relaxed environment. Would recommended to anyone who is considering applying.

Pros

Understanding managers, decent pay, manageable responsibilities

Cons

being in pool for longer time frames can get a bit cold, students can be hard to teach/control at times

Great People to work with!

I am enjoying my job as a crossing guard for City of Brampton.Like to see the sense of Community and Pride that the City workers convey. From the staff that look out for us.. looking after snow to the Bus drivers that always give a friendly wave.The Crossing Guard Management team are always there for us if we have a problem and keep us well informed. Always doing so in such a friendly way.The best thing about my job is the wonderful Families I have met and the fresh air always agrees with me. Unfortunately, it is a Part time position and I have come back to a point in my life where I would love to embark on some new opportunities.

Pros

Outdoors

Cons

Covid

Productive and fun workplace

I have worked over 2 years as Contractor, fun place to work, my first and second manager was very good to me. I learned a lot from day to day work. its nice place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Brampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement