City of Barrie
Happiness score is 52 out of 100

City of Barrie Employee Reviews

Canada54 reviews

cityenvironmentenjoyworkingmanagementdaygreattime

Good if you are full time

Contract workers do all the work , no job security. Of you are full time it is great. Don't see more full time positions being added, they don't have to pay as much and benefits contact workers.

Worst job I have ever had

You Never no when or where you are working, schedule changes constantly so you can’t plan anything because one day you will be off but the next day it could change.Part timers get all the grunt work and full timers lap up the gravy. You work all the holidays and all the weekends.

Insights into City of Barrie

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Team environment encouraged and supported. Management respects staff and provides a comfortable workplace. Salaries and benefits are comparable to other municipalities.

Great inclusive workplace with lots of training/job opportunities.

I worked at the City for over 35 years and advanced several times to reach my career goals. The City paid for me to attend college part-time for 5 years until I received my degree. The staff are great and the benefits/pay are very competitive. Amazing place to work!!

Pros

Competitive wages, great benefits, amazing staff, excellent working conditons.

Cons

Political environment created some tension/stress.

Non-supportive.

Culture of individual advancement, not a team environment and lots of Managers and Directors but no leaders.Sky is falling attitude, senior leaders support poor planning.No accountability, always someone else’s fault. I appropriate sole sourcing, resulting in paying premiums and poor vendor performance.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no support

N/a

Nobody matters unless you don’t question anything. Job security = keep your head down and shut your mouth! You will find co-workers asleep at their desk and because that person has had a work place injury everyone looks the other way. You end up doing their portion of the work.

This a great job and you are able to connect directly with the community. You have the opportunity to create, build and run programs that the community is looking for.

City of Barrie

It's always been tough to work with kids. You have to love them to work with them. Fighting pas the burnout is step one to the summer. Having fun is step 2.

Amazing Workplace

Absolutely loved working here. Staff are friendly and welcoming, no cliques at all. Management is amazing and always around or reachable whenever you have questions, issues etc. Would definitely recommend working for the City of Barrie.

Great place to work, so glad I got the opportunity

Working for the City of Barrie has been absolutely amazing and I feel honoured that I have gotten to be a part of the community and watch it grow since I have joined. The management is always understanding and willing to help in any way the can.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

mentally draining at times

Fun Summer employment working with great people.

Typical summer city recreation program. Working with kids and organizing daily activities for city summer camps. I worked with great people and really enjoyed being outside for the summer.

ecellent place to work

I worked here for a coop and loved it, worked with great people and learned a lot. it will definetly help me out with my career following my studies. .

Lifeguarding

A typical day at work included lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons, and occasionally performing first-aid. I Learned about customer service and first aid in this job. Management had some issues. Some supervisors overlooked un-tasteful behavior from employees that were their friends and not every employee in the same position was treated equally. The passive aggressive behavior and remarks made towards certain employees that were not as social or outgoing felt like a stereotypical high school movie. The hardest part of the job was the stress that came from difficult co-workers and management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers.

Great job, wherever you're at

As a group fitness instructor, I a sometimes at 4 different buildings/fitness centres in one day so it can be a bit stressful, but you can decide if this is what you want, and work around that.

Exciting work culture

many projects at once including new business planning, staff training and hiring enjoyed work culture and social functions challenge to manage timelines under various constraints young management learned about ticketing systems and theatre industry

Amazing work environment

Management cares Staff is friendly Patrons are respectful and friendly Lots of opportunities to work - but you can only have a max of 24/week in the recreation department

Not a fun place to work at.

Work for the city of Barrie only if you do not have a choice. full time employees make you do their job and manger support this. the more you do the more they ask you to do.

working in barrie

secure working toward improving by bringing in new blood old ways of doing business that are not set up with the times today slowly getting better. evrything takes time and management willing to move forward.

Was an excellent place to work during my CO-OP

I enjoyed working for the City of Barrie. The people were great and offered helpful advice. I was here for 10 months during my Co-op placements and I learned a great deal while I was here.

I loved my supervisors, they made the experience amazing. Hard work and dedication will provide you the opportunity to expand your career and be presented with new opportunities.

Forward thinking organization

Great people; innovative thinkers. Really focused on making the City of Barrie a great place to live. The people really are the city. Would highly recommend working for the City - people, compensation, benefits package.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Barrie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare City of Barrie with

City of Barrie reviews by location

Learn about City of Barrie in popular locations