City of Barrie Employee Reviews

Canada46 reviews
This a great job and you are able to connect directly with the community. You have the opportunity to create, build and run programs that the community is looking for.
City of Barrie
It's always been tough to work with kids. You have to love them to work with them. Fighting pas the burnout is step one to the summer. Having fun is step 2.
Amazing Workplace
Absolutely loved working here. Staff are friendly and welcoming, no cliques at all. Management is amazing and always around or reachable whenever you have questions, issues etc. Would definitely recommend working for the City of Barrie.
Great place to work, so glad I got the opportunity
Working for the City of Barrie has been absolutely amazing and I feel honoured that I have gotten to be a part of the community and watch it grow since I have joined. The management is always understanding and willing to help in any way the can.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
mentally draining at times
Fun Summer employment working with great people.
Typical summer city recreation program. Working with kids and organizing daily activities for city summer camps. I worked with great people and really enjoyed being outside for the summer.
ecellent place to work
I worked here for a coop and loved it, worked with great people and learned a lot. it will definetly help me out with my career following my studies. .
Enjoy working for them
Hard for me to leave that job due living to Toronto. I am going to miss them. My bosses are awesomely/ no Problems to communication with my disabilities. ( my deaf ) staff are very support, patience and friendly. If I move back to Barrie I would reapply again.
Lifeguarding
A typical day at work included lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons, and occasionally performing first-aid. I Learned about customer service and first aid in this job. Management had some issues. Some supervisors overlooked un-tasteful behavior from employees that were their friends and not every employee in the same position was treated equally. The passive aggressive behavior and remarks made towards certain employees that were not as social or outgoing felt like a stereotypical high school movie. The hardest part of the job was the stress that came from difficult co-workers and management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers.
Great job, wherever you're at
As a group fitness instructor, I a sometimes at 4 different buildings/fitness centres in one day so it can be a bit stressful, but you can decide if this is what you want, and work around that.
Exciting work culture
many projects at once including new business planning, staff training and hiring
enjoyed work culture and social functions

challenge to manage timelines under various constraints

young management

learned about ticketing systems and theatre industry
Amazing work environment
Management cares
Staff is friendly

Patrons are respectful and friendly

Lots of opportunities to work - but you can only have a max of 24/week in the recreation department
Not a fun place to work at.
Work for the city of Barrie only if you do not have a choice. full time employees make you do their job and manger support this. the more you do the more they ask you to do.
working in barrie
secure working toward improving by bringing in new blood
old ways of doing business that are not set up with the times today

slowly getting better. evrything takes time and management willing to move forward.
Was an excellent place to work during my CO-OP
I enjoyed working for the City of Barrie. The people were great and offered helpful advice. I was here for 10 months during my Co-op placements and I learned a great deal while I was here.
I loved my supervisors, they made the experience amazing.
Hard work and dedication will provide you the opportunity to expand your career and be presented with new opportunities.
Forward thinking organization
Great people; innovative thinkers. Really focused on making the City of Barrie a great place to live. The people really are the city. Would highly recommend working for the City - people, compensation, benefits package.
City of Barrie
Great workplace, supervisors very approachable. Great seasonal position while trying to get in full time. Good work environment for work and balance,
Growing Experience, minimal focus on personal life of staff
Even though I found that I thoroughly enjoyed my experience during my time at this camp, it was difficult to enjoy it during the end of the summer as I have many dear friends who also work for the City and they had difficulties when it came time for time management on the City's part. Although I am aware this was not MY experience, a friend of mine had to quit because they did not have enough time to focus on their own mental health, and when they needed to, the camp would not grant them time away when they had signed a contract for a certain amount of time. Their only choice was to quit. During the end of my time with them, I was granted a week off, which I decided to use during the last week of camp so I could have two weeks off, as the last week of summer was an optional working time, and I had opted out of it since I was moving away for school at the beginning of that week. After informing my boss that I would be unable to make it for the very last week, I received an angry call wondering why I was not there. I informed him that I had asked for the time off, and when he checked "again" he realized he was wrong and apologized. Their organization is less-than acceptable, and I do not plan on returning for fear of a decrease in their organization skills.
Pros
good experience, learned quite a bit to further my life skills, life-long friends and connections
Cons
unorganized, unprepared for camp weeks, terrible communication skills
Great place to work for Students
The City of Barrie Horiculture department gives you a ton of experience and knowledge in turf related areas. Throughout my 3 seasons, I assisted in greenhouse operations, and plant propagation. I gained knowledge in irrigation systems including fixing leaks and testing of the system in the spring. I helped design and install floral displays, as well as the maintenance of floral beds including weeding, mulching, pruning, fertilizing and watering.

This is a great place to gain valuable knowledge and experience with minimal to no experience. The management and workplace culture was great, and every day was fun.
Pros
Great work environment, lots to learn and experience
Great Place to Work
While working for the city of barrie, I was a student employee at the Barrie Sports Complex. Working outside taking care of the sports fields was a great way to spend the summer. The management was great to work with and always gave us everything we could have needed
great
It was an amazing experience, wish i could have stayed full-time. The people are great, the management is clear and decisive, it was truly a pleasure working there.