City of Barrie Employee Reviews

Needs Improvement
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 June 2018
Management's terrible. Definitely, A LOT of favouritism and is hard to move up the ladder. There are also a lot of Employment Standards violations. No Benefits, however other departments are treated better and given more pay and benefits. Management needs to step-up.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
No Benefits, No Recognition, No Support, No Respect
Amazing Work Enviornment
Dance Teacher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 April 2018
Working for the city teaching dance was the best job I have had. I was able to work with kids of all ages teaching them something I love to do. The hourly wage was amazing, however I did not get many hours due to school.
Active and fun work environment
Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 February 2018
Very enjoyable job especially for students looking for part time work with the options to pick up shifts when posted.

Each shift you are very active in participating in sports with clients or supervising public skating out on the ice.

Excellent staff,all enjoyable to work with as well as very kind supporting management.
Pros
Always on your feet. Excellent environment
Cons
Shifts can be split up between different centres
Great Place to Work
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 December 2017
The City of Barrie was an excellent employer. They trusted me as a coop student to complete various tasks. They gave me the ability to learn more about the city that I live in. Great place to work. All employees were very nice and welcoming.
Senior Client Service Representative
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 October 2017
I would arrive at work, unlock building, do opening procedures, count cash, prepare bank deposits, welcome members. Most enjoyable part was dealing with the people and the daily office duties.
Pros
The people.
Cons
When I was unable to make a difference in helping someone.
Fast paced environment with large responsibility, accuracy was pertinent in my positiom
Committee and Print Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 September 2017
I very much enjoyed my employment at the City of Barrie. My typical day included Agenda preparation, minute taking, acting as commissioner of Oaths, supervising 13 Committees and 8 employees, preparing and giving performance reviews, supporting members of Council, supervising, Council Secretariat and Print and Mail Room.

I worked extended hours on a regular basis and attended after hour meetings.

The amount of knowledge I learned through my position is insurmountable. Learning was the favourite component of my position. I enjoyed research and assisting other staff and members of the public.
Pros
Secure working environment
Cons
The work atmosphere needs attention
Upper management is unorganized
Youth Programmer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 September 2017
Front line team is amazing . Not a lot of room for growth and development . Hardest part of the job was the lack of support from management . Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the community and satisfying their needs to the best of my ability
Pros
Access to programs and fitness areas
Cons
No benefits
Not So Great
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 June 2017
A typical day at work is busy and yet if feels like the air is filled with arsenic and some one just died. People kid of keep to them selves except when there is a contract involved or you need something from an employee. At least the management is concerned about your health. The hard part of the job is making sure you have work and your not bored to death. There was no enjoyable part in the job.
Pros
Cons
no over time
So many children pretending to be adults!
Water department (Former Employee) –  20 Royal Parkside drive10 June 2017
Wasted 5 years with Environmental Services(water)! A very damaging,dangerous culture which reaches from entry level all the way to the Mayors office. Definitely a good place to skip!
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Bad, bad people!
Amazing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 May 2017
My experience with the City of Barrie was great. They gave me skills to become a leader and and some other skills the helped in my success. Could not have asked for a better place to volunteer.
Efficient and Engaging Workplace
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 April 2017
I very much enjoy working with the City of Barrie. The work is engaging and rewarding and I feel appreciated as an employee. If anything, there are days when I would prefer a longer shift as opposed to a two hour shift, but overall, I am very happy working here.
Great job, draining atmosphere
Utiliies Technician (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 March 2017
Great job, really enjoy working outside and having the option to learn new things, don't enjoy the politics. I guess that's typical of working for a municipality
Great place to work... If you can get in.
Roads, Parks & Fleets (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 February 2017
Everyday was a bit different since I was working out within the community. Loved everyone I worked with and the experience I gained from the job. Just wish I could have stayed longer. It is a very hard job to get into. Seems every mother/daughter who worked their gets a job for their friends & family so very little outsiders are considered, which is a shame.
Pros
Happy co-workers. Great experience. Good benefits and compensation for work load.
Cons
Management could be a little... funny. They do not hire fairly.
Facility Services Generalist (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 August 2015
Management is great, peers are fun to work with and day to day the job is fun and exciting. best part of the job is the variation every day.
Great Team Environment
Pool Installer / Labourer (Current Employee) –  Downing Crescent, Barrie ON4 November 2014
Arrive to the rink and start working on our pre-game checklist. Check the arena stands for garbage or defects, make sure the level of cleanliness in the washrooms are at an appropriate standard, check all garbage around the rink and remove any that were full and exchange with a new bag. Sweep the floors after every intermission and after the game. The management I have worked under has definitely set the bar for it's employees. Very approachable and will not hesitate to clarify any directions they've given us. After working there for 10 years I think the hardest part of the job was finding new things to learn. My most enjoyable part of the job were working in that kind of hockey environment where not only did i see hockey at a higher level, but also saw the operation side of things at an bigger scale venue.
Pros
Great team to work with day in and day out.
Cons
minimal full time oppourtunities
Fun yet intense
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 October 2014
A typical day including preparing lesson plans, teaching and being in the pool for up to three hours at a time and if the shift including guarding then we would watch over an area of the pool in 20 minute rotations. In the off-rotation time we would have to clean up around the pool deck. I learned how to function in high-stress situations and how to deal with patrons in any mood. I also learned how to be professional with my boss. My co-workers were extremely fun and helpful in any situation. The hardest part of the job was guarding the pools when they were very crowded. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children succeed and watching them enjoy themselves in the water.
Pros
Free membership to facilities in the centre
Cons
Long and sometimes dull shifts
Nice City to work with
Project Engineer (Environmental) (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 June 2014
I would rate the overall working with City of Barrie as Good. There is respectful work environment and the city is located in a nice summer holiday area.
There is a room for improvement by way of employee training and skill upgradation
Pros
Nice City
Cons
Less educational facilities, more travelling
Toxic work environment
temp.part-time (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 April 2014
- part-time and full-time staff keep to themselves
- supervisor/manager is a "bully"
- younger staff are favoured
- anti-harassment policies are ignored
- asking for help is considered a weakness
- was not a pleasant work environment
- too much "he said, she said" and no validation
Pros
some good people, work on your own
Cons
toxic environment
Perfect Balance
Recreation Staff (Current Employee) –  Barrie14 April 2014
Barrie is a great place to grow up, as well as a great place to raise a family. I know, because I have done both.

There is all types of activities to keep all minds engaged. The work force is growing and the sense of community is refreshing.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Productive and Fun workplace with wonderful and helpful coworkers
GIS Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 May 2013
The City of Barrie is great because it places you in an environment that is conducive to being productive. The City of Barrie also has coworkers that are helpful and positive.