City of Abbotsford

City of Abbotsford: 28 Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews

Insights into City of Abbotsford

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

22 year decline in morale

The City of Abbotsford was a bright, progressive, decent place to work... but over the years nepotism, draconian practices, and punitive measures crept in. More and more staff disappeared for the slightest of reasons, and were replaced by favor to friends and relatives of Council and senior staff. HR went through several iterations, further destabilizing the atmosphere.

Pros

Flex time, fitness passes in exchange for OT, as an option. Lunch and learns.

Cons

Sponsored education must be linked to job you have, instead of your future goals as it used to be, exempt staff work excessive hours and are pressured against their conscience to demean subordinates.

it was fun

one day a week me and my class worked around the length of the school day we would get paid 35 dollars a day the work was easy if the job site was deemed unsafe we would go work some where else

Productive and fun workplace environment

Thoroughly enjoy working for Abbotsford's recreation centers. Everyone is so friendly and always provide assistance when needed. I would absolutely recommend working here.

Awful place to work

Horrible managers, horrible environment, not paid enough. Treated like garbage. So glad I left and found the same job but in a different municipality and am getting treated so much better!

Friendly coworkers.

The staff genuinely care for each other. Friendly environment and flexible hours for employees in school. Be careful not to get caught up in workplace politics.

fast working in sales

a typical day in sales is starting your day and help customers as best as you can Most enjoyable part in your job is when the customer leaves your place sadisfied and you work as a team with your coworkers

customer service and customer care is top of mind. Respectful workplace.

I worked for the City of Abbotsford in a variety of positions, I was always encouraged to learn new skills. I worked full time and there was never a dull moment. I worked in Recreation and the most difficult part was difficult customers. The most enjoyable part was seeing children excel in what ever activity they were participating in.

Not a very great employer

Not a well ran organization. So many levels of management that do not communicate well with the workers on he front line. Lacking the meaning of a TEAM.

A fun and enjoyable work environment

The people who work here are very friendly. They are flexible with their shifts and people are willing to cover. Supervisors are friendly, approachable people.

Fun

this was a simple work environment, giving you the opportunity for a flexible schedule and exposure to children if you are interested in any sort of child care routes for a future career

Good work for students

I worked for the pool, it's a great job if you're in school or if you want some extra hours and have another job. It isn't that great if you do it full time as advancement and management isn't as optimized as other city pools (from what I know at-least). Overall, the pay is good and it's pretty chill as long as you show up and are decent.

Pros

Relaxed culture

Cons

Management/supervision not optimized

It was fun landscaping, cutting trees and such.

I landscaped with my school, once a week. I learned a lot of things. We cut the trees, cleaned the parks, raked the leaves. it was a great experience.

Very different.

Hive minded mentality. My supervisor was a pretty good guy. Thanks Lukas. Low expectations of work ethic. If you can just show up, and eat lunch, you are going to do well. Trade work is very limited.

Pros

Super easy work.

Cons

Not very rewarding, and zero challenges and learning.

Great company to work for.

Developed a lot of skills in the parks department using various power equipment and tools. Hard labour but very rewarding. Would recommend city of abbotsford to work for.

Casual, fun workplace

Good place to work especially during high school and university. I would highly recommend lifeguarding for Abbotsford as a temporary job, however there is little to no room for advancement.

Respective fun environment easy-going

Doing everything from Landscaping, tree planting, ground keeping, heavy vehicle operating, removal of shrubbery and debris such as garbage and Landscaping occasionally rebuild fencing

Pros

Paid lunches, paid fuel, paid travel time, by the hour you're always making money when you're on the road.

Cons

Bad weather conditions sometimes

Heavy at the top.

If you are not liked by mgmt you will not excel or get any future training even if you are good at your job. it seems that people get hired because they may know someone. Managers have been known to scout out their own employees that they want. Not an equitable employer. Saw a post where a pro was Birthday lunches? Not sure who you worked for but thats news to me. 35 hour work weeks in Administration and 40 hrs at the works yard.

Pros

Cons

Major politics, inexperienced managers, terrible benefits and union is almost extinct.

enjoyed working here

The management was great. Was hired as a maintenance worker for repairs around the park site. Working with the community and giving back to the community. Great place to work.

Didnt like it there

At frist they make it seem like you will get a lot of hours. But once you are hired you don't get any unless youre high up in seniority which is impossible to achieve. People will turn on you if they don't like you and find the smallest reason to fire you.

Productive, fast-paced fun place to work

Positive thinking, encouragement, support, hard working, valued team. A fun place to work! I pushed myself to learn new things and challenge myself in ways I never thought I would.

Pros

birthday lunches

Volunteering as a TCP, swimming intructor or other activities.

Volunteering for events gives me a sense of accomplishment. From directing traffic to figuring out a drill to correct a certain stroke makes the time go by fast and is more fun than staying at home by myself since my children are all grown up.

Pros

Working with people of all ages and keeping busy makes the days go by fast.

Cons

Long hours with few breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Abbotsford. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement