City of Abbotsford Employee Reviews

A fun and enjoyable work environment
Learn to Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 April 2019
The people who work here are very friendly. They are flexible with their shifts and people are willing to cover. Supervisors are friendly, approachable people.
It was fun landscaping, cutting trees and such.
Landscape Labourer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 December 2018
I landscaped with my school, once a week. I learned a lot of things. We cut the trees, cleaned the parks, raked the leaves. it was a great experience.
Very different.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 November 2018
Hive minded mentality. My supervisor was a pretty good guy. Thanks Lukas. Low expectations of work ethic. If you can just show up, and eat lunch, you are going to do well. Trade work is very limited.
Pros
Super easy work.
Cons
Not very rewarding, and zero challenges and learning.
Great company to work for.
Parks Labourer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC7 August 2018
Developed a lot of skills in the parks department using various power equipment and tools.
Hard labour but very rewarding.
Would recommend city of abbotsford to work for.
Casual, fun workplace
Lifeguard/Water Safety Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 June 2018
Good place to work especially during high school and university. I would highly recommend lifeguarding for Abbotsford as a temporary job, however there is little to no room for advancement.
Heavy at the top.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 February 2018
If you are not liked by mgmt you will not excel or get any future training even if you are good at your job. it seems that people get hired because they may know someone. Managers have been known to scout out their own employees that they want. Not an equitable employer. Saw a post where a pro was Birthday lunches? Not sure who you worked for but thats news to me. 35 hour work weeks in Administration and 40 hrs at the works yard.
Pros
Cons
Major politics, inexperienced managers, terrible benefits and union is almost extinct.
Didnt like it there
Lifeguard swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 June 2017
At frist they make it seem like you will get a lot of hours. But once you are hired you don't get any unless youre high up in seniority which is impossible to achieve. People will turn on you if they don't like you and find the smallest reason to fire you.
Productive, fast-paced fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC17 March 2017
Positive thinking, encouragement, support, hard working, valued team. A fun place to work! I pushed myself to learn new things and challenge myself in ways I never thought I would.
Pros
birthday lunches
Volunteering as a TCP, swimming intructor or other activities.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 January 2016
Volunteering for events gives me a sense of accomplishment. From directing traffic to figuring out a drill to correct a certain stroke makes the time go by fast and is more fun than staying at home by myself since my children are all grown up.
Pros
Working with people of all ages and keeping busy makes the days go by fast.
Cons
Long hours with few breaks.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor
Lifeguard/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 November 2015
Typically as an Abbotsford employee I work with children, enforce rules and keep the facility clean. There is some out-of-work requirements that are still paid for. I learn to be consistent and confident and need to be a leader, someone who people will listen too. Sometimes the work flow and jobs gets confusing and the paperwork is a mess but solutions are found rather quickly. I love working with children and asserting my control on those sticky situations.
Pros
choose your hours
Cons
being cold and wet
Great organization
Lifeguarding/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 May 2015
I enjoyed work for the City of Abbotsford. They gave me all the opportunities to grow my career and when it came time for me to move on, they supplied me with excellent references.
Good Working Environment
SAP HCM Project Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford9 January 2015
• Providing solutions/support to all SAP HR related issues for City employees, Police, Fire, Airport and Tourism
• Responsible for applying SAP Notes and year end HR Support Packs
• Ensure that the tickets raised in the ticketing tool are resolved within the stipulated time
• Prepared functional specifications for WRICEF elements
• Configured new requirements received on aspects related to PA, OM, Time Management, Benefits and Payroll after Union settlement
• Worked extensively on SAP HR Time and Payroll Schemas
• Scripted several PCR’s for Time and Payroll after union ratified their Wage Agreement
• Involved in Unit testing, integration testing
• Responsible for conducting meetings with the business in collecting new requirements.
• Participated in work estimation and enabling the external technical consultants (Abapers) to complete the work within the stipulated time.
• Prepared project plan and provided periodical status report
• Coordinating with various stake holders (both internally and externally)
• Training the power Users & end users
Helping families become healthier and fitter
MEND Program - Theory Leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 November 2014
I lead a health program called MEND that teaches children and families about nutrition, exercise and positive thinking. I teach nutritional and psychological information to families. The program is split into two components-parents and children, and I lead two different classes, a family class of children and parents together, and also a parent’s class for just adults. My job is to teach the MEND curriculum to both the children and the adults. I lecture, demonstrate, provide examples, lead group activities, lead discussions, provide discipline and provide help to the entire class including researching and answering any questions that people may have. The class size varies from 15 -25 people. I have learned that there is a lot of information that families are not aware of and that this program is a great opportunity for the families to be together and learn. I work with a great team of 3 other individuals who all bring something special to the program. The hardest part of the job is having the program end after 10 weeks, since this a government funded program that families should take advantage of and I wished it was longer. The most enjoyable part of my job is the feeling I get after each session takes place, seeing families make a change together is very rewarding and seeing the progression through the weeks we are together.
Fun Workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 July 2014
In a typical day, its a fast paced work environment, with lots of different things going on. Through working at the City of Abbotsford, I learn how to be a leader, to take responsibility for others, and how to manage an aquatic operation.

Management has always supported me and they were there to answer my questions and concerns.

My co-workers have worked hard and they respected my experience and my knowledge of aquatics, lifeguard and instructing.

The hardest part of my job would be the legal responsibility, especially when I am in a leadership role.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the people that work with me and some of the clientele.

fast pace work environment
Pros
co-workers
Cons
fast pace work environment
Good Place to Cut your Teeth
Management (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC25 June 2014
The culture is different with confusion pushed from the top down. Good bunch of working managers and employees who always seem to get the job done.
It was good.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Town Hall18 November 2013
I liked it. It was hard, but fun. Food was good. Hated the pay, but it was volunteering.
Pros
free food
Cons
too much fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Abbotsford. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Abbotsford Reviews by Location