City of Abbotsford

City of Abbotsford Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
one day a week me and my class worked around the length of the school day we would get paid 35 dollars a day the work was easy if the job site was deemed unsafe we would go work some where else
Greeted voters and reviewed identification
Accurately tracked all ballots, signatures in the voting book and marked those electors issued ballots as having voted on the Municipal Voter View electronic voting list, throughout the day.

Complete the appropriate forms and documents, as required by legislation.

Explained how to complete the ballot to the voter.

Assisted with clean-up of voting location and secured all election materials.

Provided assistance and support as directed by the PEO or the APEOs.
Thoroughly enjoy working for Abbotsford's recreation centers. Everyone is so friendly and always provide assistance when needed. I would absolutely recommend working here.
Horrible managers, horrible environment, not paid enough. Treated like garbage. So glad I left and found the same job but in a different municipality and am getting treated so much better!
The staff genuinely care for each other. Friendly environment and flexible hours for employees in school. Be careful not to get caught up in workplace politics.
a typical day in sales is starting your day and help customers as best as you can
Most enjoyable part in your job is when the customer leaves your place sadisfied and you work as a team with your coworkers
I worked for the City of Abbotsford in a variety of positions, I was always encouraged to learn new skills. I worked full time and there was never a dull moment. I worked in Recreation and the most difficult part was difficult customers. The most enjoyable part was seeing children excel in what ever activity they were participating in.
Not a well ran organization. So many levels of management that do not communicate well with the workers on he front line. Lacking the meaning of a TEAM.
The people who work here are very friendly. They are flexible with their shifts and people are willing to cover. Supervisors are friendly, approachable people.
this was a simple work environment, giving you the opportunity for a flexible schedule and exposure to children if you are interested in any sort of child care routes for a future career
I worked for the pool, it's a great job if you're in school or if you want some extra hours and have another job. It isn't that great if you do it full time as advancement and management isn't as optimized as other city pools (from what I know at-least).

Overall, the pay is good and it's pretty chill as long as you show up and are decent.
Pros
Relaxed culture
Cons
Management/supervision not optimized
I landscaped with my school, once a week. I learned a lot of things. We cut the trees, cleaned the parks, raked the leaves. it was a great experience.
Hive minded mentality. My supervisor was a pretty good guy. Thanks Lukas. Low expectations of work ethic. If you can just show up, and eat lunch, you are going to do well. Trade work is very limited.
Pros
Super easy work.
Cons
Not very rewarding, and zero challenges and learning.
Developed a lot of skills in the parks department using various power equipment and tools.
Hard labour but very rewarding.

Would recommend city of abbotsford to work for.
Good place to work especially during high school and university. I would highly recommend lifeguarding for Abbotsford as a temporary job, however there is little to no room for advancement.
Doing everything from Landscaping, tree planting, ground keeping, heavy vehicle operating, removal of shrubbery and debris such as garbage and Landscaping occasionally rebuild fencing
Pros
Paid lunches, paid fuel, paid travel time, by the hour you're always making money when you're on the road.
Cons
Bad weather conditions sometimes
If you are not liked by mgmt you will not excel or get any future training even if you are good at your job. it seems that people get hired because they may know someone. Managers have been known to scout out their own employees that they want. Not an equitable employer. Saw a post where a pro was Birthday lunches? Not sure who you worked for but thats news to me. 35 hour work weeks in Administration and 40 hrs at the works yard.
Pros
Cons
Major politics, inexperienced managers, terrible benefits and union is almost extinct.
The management was great. Was hired as a maintenance worker for repairs around the park site. Working with the community and giving back to the community. Great place to work.
At frist they make it seem like you will get a lot of hours. But once you are hired you don't get any unless youre high up in seniority which is impossible to achieve. People will turn on you if they don't like you and find the smallest reason to fire you.
Positive thinking, encouragement, support, hard working, valued team. A fun place to work! I pushed myself to learn new things and challenge myself in ways I never thought I would.
Pros
birthday lunches
Volunteering for events gives me a sense of accomplishment. From directing traffic to figuring out a drill to correct a certain stroke makes the time go by fast and is more fun than staying at home by myself since my children are all grown up.
Pros
Working with people of all ages and keeping busy makes the days go by fast.
Cons
Long hours with few breaks.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Abbotsford. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8