Cineplex Employee Reviews

just another day at work
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2018
it was the busiest day day cause Star Wars has just came out and the turn out was insane I was working in the kitchen at the time and had to multi task cause my co worker clocked out early and I was working alone and there were two lines going across the theatre and I was juggling orders and also making them at the same time but also it was a fun expresses just being around people are so involved with the movie culture.
Pros
free movie tickets
Cons
having a fun time working
Great first job
Cast Leader (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 July 2018
One of the best places when it comes to taking time off. You can always switch shifts easily online and pick up shifts if you want to earn some more money for the week.
Pros
Free movies, Free popcorn and soda on breaks
Cons
It can get really busy during new releases
Great part time work, very flexible
Cast Member/Birthday (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 July 2018
as the review summary says, job was great, management was okay at best, but job security etc was wonderful.

Managers were very forgiving and would allow you to basically get away with anything, however dealing with customer interactions is the worst.
Dépane, mais il y a mieux
Équipier (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC11 July 2018
C'est un emploi étudiant, rien de plus, très ordinaire.
Pros
Horaire flexible
Cons
Milieux stressant
Awesome Environment
PART TIME CAST MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 July 2018
So many employees you're bound to get along with most of them. Management is quick at problem-solving and ensures that you feel comfortable in the workplace. Everyone helps each other out and is a very team orientated place. I learned a lot after taking on more responsibility. You gradually can change positions and move up if your current position isn't desired. Guests seem to be in a good mood most of the time because the theatre is a good environment
Pros
friendly coworkers and customers
Cons
shifts up to 12:30am are desired
Working at Cash
Empress Walk. Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 July 2018
Every single day i walked into that workplace everyone there was just so friendly and just welcoming. Not a single day the management team didn't treat me badly. In my overall opinion i was happy that Cineplex was my first job.
Pros
Free Popcorn and movies
Cons
Getting home at 2 am
Installed sound panels
Labourer/ Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 July 2018
I enjoyed working in the field and especially knowing i had a part in bringing entertainment to peoples lives.Installing the sound panels was especially challenging as i had to maneuver on scaffolding as high as 60 feet in the air.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Long hours away from home
Pretty fun
Food preparation and customer service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 July 2018
I really enjoyed meeting new people everyday and taking their orders each and every shift but i wasn't fast enough for the job so i couldn't do the job anymore.
Overall fun job with great people, but awful hours.
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 July 2018
Cineplex is a really fun job to have when you are in high school or even university. All my coworkers are awesome and the culture is positive and energetic! There are also different positions you can work so you don't feel confined to one place... although it takes a minimum of three months to be cross-trained off of concession (where almost all cast members start). I've made some really good friends at Cineplex and there are sometimes cast events (Christmas, Halloween, screenings, etc), so it's easy to get involved if you put yourself out there. Employees get a cast pass every pay and discounts on most items 30 minutes before and after shifts, as well as free popcorn and drinks. The hours are so inconsistent though, and management can be demanding about your availability when in the end after all the hassle they end up scheduling you like eight hours a week, if that. If you want hours, you have to rely on picking up shifts from co-workers, which can be tough because no one seems to get a lot of hours. Giving away shifts is a piece of cake, though! If you are in high school, the late nights can be hard, especially if you end at 11:30 or 12:00 at night and have to get up for school the next morning. Ideal for night owls. Being short staffed is a huge issue, but it all depends on what type of manager you get. Also working box office can suck because the new prerogative is to get guests to use the automated ticketing kiosks, and AT LEAST once per shift I get told by a guest how the machines are taking away jobs and how I am going to lose my job, which gets annoying. Guests (customers)  more... can be rude too, but 99% of the moviegoers are nice if you give them enough attention. The points system also sucks because it is hard to accumulate points to redeem. Some cool little pros are that when cleaning theatres you sometimes find money under the seats and also you get to take home posters/movie merchandise when they are available! Overall, I would say that even though it's a minimum wage job with little to no opportunities for advancement, it's worth doing! Working at the movies is a job like no other and the culture is really fun!  less
Pros
Cast passes, great culture.
Cons
Minimum wage, sparse/late hours.
Awesome work with awesome people
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Typical day at cineplex started off with grabbing a till and getting logged onto the point of sale systems in concession to begin your shift. I learned a lot about proper guest service and food handling, it was definitely a really interesting experience. To start off the management hadn't really set up a proper training system they had just thrown you into the environment and let the other cast members teach you the ways of the job but now I believe they have cast trainers that specialize in training new employees. The workplace culture was always awesome. The environment was really laid back and not too stressful and all of the fellow employees were hard workers and made shifts go by faster. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with cleaning lists as well as working hard rushes of anything over 150-200 people. Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people and the management.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food on breaks
Cons
Unfair hours, lack of leadership
Great Place to Be
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 July 2018
If you like movies. or a great work atmosphere, then this is the place for you. The management are exceptionally knowledgeable in their tasks and always willing to lend a hand on the main floor.
Pros
Free Cast Passes to movies
Cons
Can sometimes get a bit hectic during big movie releases
cool place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  BC30 June 2018
u punch in and start right away, to work fast and management is not the best, everyone looks down on u if ur new, working fast and knowing what to do. free movies
Pros
free movie
Cons
The managers are good and understanding.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB29 June 2018
The general manager is amazing, most of the crew is hardworking. Need to be a quick learner as they don't really train very thorough. Need to be able to work in a very fast paced environment, and no sense of personal space.
Pros
Free movies
Poor hours, great for after school work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC28 June 2018
I worked at Cineplex Chilliwack for a little over a year. I would be lying if I said I didn't love my time there, but the reasons had little to do with the job itself.

Working at Cineplex is, in essence, a highschool job. Something to do after class for a little extra money. This is extremely obvious when it comes to the hours. Often, most shifts will be around 4 hours long, and you'll only get 2-3 per week. Even members of the staff like myself who have been around for a full year, showing extreme willingness to move up, have trouble securing more shifts.

Another issue that comes up with Cineplex Chilliwack is the management. While many of the managers in the past have been excellent (the General Manager who worked there during my time was particularly stellar) many assistant managers can be questionable. There was a clear air of favoritism in my time there, and essentially, if the management liked you, you were more likely to be promoted.

Due to the job being an "after school job," most of the staff consists of young teenagers. This can be problematic in some cases, and excellent in others. A job at a movie theater attracts a specific crowd, and for the most part during my time, everybody was able to get along. If someone was unkind to other members of the staff, they usually didn't last long and would quit after a few months. Even older staff members are quite loving in their nature, creating a very family-like work environment.

The job overall was not a particularly difficult one. It was separated into 5 main groups. Concession, Outtakes, Box Office, Door Post,
  more... and Management. The jobs all have their ups and downs (with box office being very clearly the easiest of the bunch in that all you do is sell tickets and wipe down the ad screens) however there is typically something for everyone to do. New staff are trained on specific areas based on what matches their skillset or personality the best. Door post often takes members of staff that aren't confident in their customer service skills, as it's a secure place to build those skills up. Concession takes the bulk of the staff, needing people who are confident during rush hours. Outtakes requires strong multitasking skills, as you're usually either on your own or with one other member of staff.

The management also held "Cast Parties," in which everyone would get together after closing, play some games, and end the night with a movie on the big screen. Unfortunately, these parties were only held when managers were willing. There was no set schedule, and during my time, as managers left who were willing to do it, the family-like bond of the staff grew distant, as we weren't able to bond outside of work on those nights.

Overall, the management has changed quite a lot in the years I've been gone, and I'm not sure if any of what this review says is even relevant. I'm fairly confident in saying, however, that if you're looking for an after-school job, you can't get any better than Cineplex.
Pros
Family-Like Work Conditions
Cons
Uncertain/Very Few Hours
Awful management, otherwise decent
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON27 June 2018
I worked here for a while— most of my coworkers were wonderful people but the management was irrationally hard to deal with, unstable, not compassionate, and unreasonable. The hours were unpredictable, anywhere between 0-15 a week. You get free movies, popcorn, and drinks while working here and solid relationships with coworkers, but beyond that it’s not particularly pleasant. Customers are also very easily angered in this environment and that can take a toll on your wellbeing.
Pros
Lots of free stuff and great coworkers
Cons
Management isn’t pleasant
Pleasant work environment
team member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB24 June 2018
Coworkers make the job worth the low pay. Free movies was a plus. All monvies go in within 45 minutes, so there are several ruches and lulls throughout the shift.
Theatre Management
THEATRE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2018
Days at the theatre could be long ones. Handling the smooth, daily operation of the theatre, staff and guests was sometimes challenging.
A love of the movies and like minded staff made this job enjoyable.
Working in the theatre gave me the opportunity to move to their head office.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Long night shifts
it was fun
Assisting and greeting guest of the theater (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON21 June 2018
worked there for 6 years. a lot of things have changed since then. but the job was fun same with the coworkers i have worked with. still hang out with them
Great environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burloak19 June 2018
Bosses were very friendly and understanding to those who made mistakes. However I advise individuals who want to be done by 10 latest to not apply. Some nights you are there until almost 1 am!
20 year olds with no culinary background.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 June 2018
Staff is good aside from a few people. Shifts have lately been few and far between.Only benefits are staff movie screenings and free passes that can only be used after 2 weeks.