Cineplex

Canada1,540 reviews

Found 1,540 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,691 reviews
moviepopcorncasttheatreconcessionfreeouttakeguest

Great first job

This was my first job and it was a great experience overall. The pay is minimum wage or only a bit more (the annual increases are minimal, even supervisors don't make much more than regular cast members) but the camaraderie between coworkers, the free movies, the flexible schedule, and the on-your-feet nature of the job made it worth it for me. Customers could give you a hard time sometimes but the management was mostly kind and supportive. Multiple posts available: you get hired at one but can get trained on others the more months you work there (concessions, floor team, birthdays, guest services). Easy to trade, give away, and pick up shifts.

Pros

Free movies, free soft drinks/popcorn while working, good team, good training, flexible schedule

Cons

Late end times, some hostile customers, some heavy lifting depending on position

the workers are alright but management has been slacking

management has been slacking lately. on some days when it would be busy, you'd catch at least three managers standing at the ends of the tills not even doing anything, just talking. the constant criticizing from a guest is not it for me. a manager would start complaining at you, if you're not doing something correctly. the fact that no matter how open your availability is, they'll only give you one shift for week. when i got hired, they told me that i can have unlimited drinks and popcorn, but now they're cutting it to one drink and one popcorn per shift, if you get caught having more than one you get a write-up. now if you have a write-up, you can't get a cast pass for at least 6 months. more about management: when they ask you to do something, i'd typically do it write away. but when i need them, they take at least 5-15 minutes to come. managers would pull people from understaffed areas to either cover a break or to help out with concession, when they're more than capable of doing it themselves, especially if there are at least 5 managers scheduled. when they would try and come in to help, they focus on very unnecessary stuff (ie filling candy tiers when there's enough, tryna get one of us to change an mrd on the detergent bucket when we're in the middle of a rush and on till). when they would say they'd help and close, and only take one thing off the pop tower then leave.also if you don't work enough shifts, they'll start declining cast passes.

Pros

none anymore

Cons

lousy management

Insights into Cineplex

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

great people, good first job

coworker atmosphere was great, made many friends. management will suck the life out of your work spirit though. Worst part was cleaning theatres, best part was interacting with guests.

Pros

cast passes (free movie tickets)

Cons

management

Many cons but i do reccomend

Pros: - The majority of the cast are very nice and around half of the managers are friendly. - They let you book time off and don’t mind it.- The hours are manageable for someone in school.- Most of the tasks are very easy.- Sometimes there is practically no guests and it can be fun if you make friends with the cast.- You get free drinks, free popcorn, one free movie per week and you can take hot dogs 3 hours after they are made however you're not allowed to be seen eating or drinking while working.- If you lose or damage a part of your uniform the managers will get mad but provide you a new one free of charge.Cons :- I get the impression that some managers don’t really know what the cast do and when you ask for help they sometimes are confused on even how to use the machines. They also occasionally tell you to do things that make no sense.- If you close on concessions it is horrible and they dont let you go home until you finish which can take longer than they scheduled you for.- The pay isn’t great.- The guests come in rushes and it is very stressful when you are aloneOverall i think it is a great place to work while you are a student and an amazing first job. The friendliness of staff makes it really enjoyable.

Bad place

Working at cineplex was one of the worst areas i worked. The Assistsnt Manager at the time was horrible. I felt they singled me out because i was "new". Not even one month into my probation period, i was let go. With only few shifts to work with, i didnt get much training done. They let me go only because we got a sudden rush and there was no popcorn, while i was in the middle of making it. I was still new, and i was the only one behind the counter, so i didnt have any help. I only had ONE bad shift, they decided to let me go. Management was horrible at the time.

Pros

Popcorn, free movies, discoint

Cons

Bad manager

friendly and fun cast members, manageable time

Many managers and cast members are kind and friendly.Sometime we got a event for cast members.At the moment of starting work, you can feel hard because the theater is large and the food is heavy.But you can enjoy the work.And every pay day is precise.But when the big movie is not coming, you can’t work as you want. About 1-2 day in a week…

Pros

free popcorn, free voucher

Cons

working hour as I want.

Great coworkers but work not worth lol

its aight, people there are great hours could be better, management could be better, pay could be better. You got a bunch of sad teenagers keeping your theatre alive, cut them some slack every once in a while

Can be fun, can also suck

The general public will suck the life out of you, but you have to make the best of those who are out for a good time. Usually a good environment with good people around you.

Guest Service Coordinator - Cast member - Customer Service

A stepping stool to get experience under your belt. But do not stay more then 1-2 year. A great place for students. A great place for a first time job

Pros

Co-workers are always great

Cons

Management or head office does not care about you. You will always be a number to them

Poor management, low pay. Iffy hours.

If movies are good its busy, if movies are poor then it's absolutely dead. You'll most likely work Christmas or new years. Minimum wage typically, and pretty inconsistent hours. Great job for teenagers, but very hard to live off of. People are fun to work with amd free movies are cool but management is iffy. It's like highschool all over again.

Pros

Free movies

Cons

Working for pennies

Not worth the pay

Horrible pay for horrible hours. Head office is full of morons who don't know what it's like to be in our shoes. Management team locally tries their best.

Pros

Flexibility, people

Cons

pay, hours, head office

Toxic, Uncommunicative, High-pressure

{Depending on department} Poor compensation based off requirements for job. There is zero room to grow within company / department without taking on additional role(s) on top of department demands. Management will make excuses for poor behaviour and treatment rather then fix on-going issues.

Pros

Free Movies

Cons

Long hours. poor compensation, no growth/ development opportunities.

Flexible

Great job for students (high school and college). It was very easy to book day offs and the managers were always understanding. Probably not a good full time job since there are no set hours, but if you are looking for 20 hours work weeks then this might be a good job. Keep in mind that you have to be available for at least one of the weekends (saturday or sunday).

Pros

Free popcorn

Cast Member

Very flexible schedule for students! Minimum 3 days availability required, with at least two closing and weekend shift available. Shifts can be easily be given away or you can pick up shifts easily.

Pros

Free movies

Fun

Was really fun working here, Perks back when I worked there was free movie tickets, free popcorn and drink when you go for break and sometimes even a free hotdogs or nachos 🙌🏻 we were able to take home left over popcorn at the end of the night, pretty late hours but worked out for a night owl like me

Terrible

Terrible pay, shifts that are announced 2 days before the next week. The back office team is horrendous and the "benefits" are laughable. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

meh. okay i guess. two people are needed in back of house though.

it was okay, but quite stressful. i was back of house, which is making the popcorn and the other food for my entire six months of working there. there was WAY too much for one person to do. also the hours were awful. i would be there until like 11/11:30ish on a school night.

Pros

free movies

Cons

hours, not enough staff at a time, too much workload for one person

Perfect for part-time job but not enough hours during summer time

Management is a bit dominant here - they try to show extreme good behaviour with the cast members, but hiding their true intentions. Co-workers are superfriendly. You can get 5 days shift per week if you work really hard but initially you will only get 1 or 2 seven hours of shift each week.

Fine for a first job.

There's barely any opportunity to advance and even when you do pay raises are minimal. Free movies are nice. Friendly coworkers. Free popcorn and discounted food during your shift but no discounts when you're off the clock.

Pros

Free movies

terribly managed

cineplex kirkland is run by a group of kindergarten students. no communication to employees, bullying by management, no problem solving. not fun to work there

Pros

popcorn

Cons

terrible management and long nights

Fun place to be

Overall it’s a fun environment but the pay could be better especially as you advance. Some managers are leaders and some are not. Can be hard to get hours when it’s slow.

Pros

Free movies

Cons

Late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cineplex. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement