CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 3,109 reviews matching the search
Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
I felt like I had no work life balance. High turn over of staff and the sales model having to contact clients plus keep up with workload was impossible. Never seemed to do enough for the company’s liking.
Everything is based on targets and you're not looked as a person with feelings. They make you work like robots by making 20 calls per hour and then want you to bring a personal touch to each call and do everything perfectly. Micromanagement to the core and even washroom breaks are being monitored and they will call you out on everything from washroom breaks to any personal break you take for yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Too much focus on targets
I have been working in CIBC for more than 13 years holding different roles. Not all the departments in CIBC are the same; hence the work experience. I worked in one of the most critical and key divisions in CIBC responsible to create, maintain, and enhance customer information in whole CIBC and associated firms outside of Canada. In regards to that particular devision I was extremely satisfied with my working environment specially people who I worked with. As a contractor I really felt that my service is valued and in return I did my best to contribute as much as I could. Relationship of people in the teams I worked was very friendly and at the same time very professional.
Pros
Satsifaction
Working for cibc is easy. Most departments have good leadership team snd within the teams small different culture exhibits..work life balance is not that high may be our salary range is not competitive
Pros
Lots of team events
Cons
Work life balance
Stay away from CIBC. TWO-faced sneaky managers. You never know where you stand until they let you go. People are weeping as they fire them! No compassion or warning EVER. WORST EXECUTIVE Management
Pros
Window cubicle
Cons
Corp-speak is that CIBC no longer has managers, only leaders. However, leaders are notoriously rare; managers are ubiquitous. I had one leader in the years I worked there; all the rest were managers. Just one example of the difference. The leader to whom I referred would stop, no matter how busy he/she was to ask, and meant it, how are you doing? Can I help? Managers only stop to berate; leaders stop because they care.Hypocrisy. It is said that CIBC cares for its clients, deeply. However ‘caring’ only extends to how many $$ you are worth. For example, the time one must spend to help elderly people who are confused, persons who are angry or the time to input data about POAs and estates (and other such necessary work) is not countable in the numbers BECAUSE THEY DO NOT MAKE REVENUE. The longer a manager has been away from the computer-driven work-life being done by those they say they are leading, the further their knowledge deficit grows. Their narrowed knowledge then allows them to justify piling up workloads on the basis of alleged scientific metrics. And their bonuses and much higher wages encourage them as managers, not leaders.
Pros
benefits: once you retire, if you or your spouse get critically ill or die before retirement
Cons
Many managers, few leaders.
I had worked with CIBC for close to 6 years. All this time thinking that this was the best place to work and grow. I slowly started realizing just how cheap and unfair this company is. Working at the call center was stressful as it is. So, i moved to the branch a year later. Branch was no good either. With DVP's changing all the time, and new policies coming in place every other month, it was a lot to keep up with. Because of rising expenses, the company decided to kick a lot of people, took control of basic branch expenses, took away the coffee that was being serves to the customers. If a customer came in asking for water, we would have to run to the manager asking for a cup, as they would hide it in their drawers and lock them away. Customer are not people for the big banks they are just numbers. This would be same for all banks just that the intensity of selling things would be different. As sad as it is, people think that working for a bank would be a privilege but in reality it felt nothing less than working as a car salesman to me. We were practically forced to sell sell and re-sell to the same customers if needed. The basic trend is to offer the customer a credit card, once they overuse the card, offer the customer a line of credit. If the customer overuses the line of credit, then offer them a loan. This is a good enough tactic to anchor the customer to that particular bank. Why would you switch banks if you think your bank is doing so much for you.About work ethics and being respected at workplace, dont keep your expectation high. Even if you get a good manager, - more...
Pros
Benefits, mostly helpful co-workers and reliable support staff over the phone. salary, paid and unpaid vacation
Cons
Unpaid long hours to finish outstanding work, worst management, car salesman like feel, lack of freedom and creativity and many more already mentioned.
Fifty fifty on the overall work culture as it depends on the team you join. Your skills don't matter at all when it comes to progressing, only who likes you or not. If you don't speak up against anything that is going wrong, you are deemed an excellent employee. Most managers have no clue what people management is. Good for internships, nothing else in IT department. Everything is outsourced to vendors. No real learning or work.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No growth
Pay for entry level is good (approx 40,000/year) but you are dealing with constant micromanagement down to the literal words you say and everything is numerically tracked. If you are a high performing rep then you will get a bigger bonus at the end of the year but it doesn't outweigh potentially carrying your entire team - if you work harder and are successful, your only reward is more calls. Management is very target-oriented and the constant pressure to hit your targets can be very stressful. Meanwhile you are dealing with clients on the phone all day who are sometimes friendly, but usually totally indifferent and sometimes extremely hostile. Overall, I would recommend working here for a year if you need the money as the pay is quite good, but don't waste away years here. I was promoted to another department with lower call volumes as a result of high performance, and I'll never forget what my cubicle mate who has been in the main telephone banking queue said to me: "Good for you for getting out of this." I think that it a pretty accurate summary of what you should aim for at this job: get in, get paid, but whatever you do don't stay too long.
Financial advisor at a branch - the worst job I've ever had in my life. intense pressure, micro-management, low pay, constantly being asked to do additional activity and meaningless tasks which prevent ability to provide client advice, impossible targets, archaic disparate internal systems that impede ability to deliver client solutions, mediocre management, always short-staffed.
Pros
Free banking?
Management very poor, co workers made to cry and so stressed they can’t sleep. , only worried about bottom line. Does not back employees. Say they are client focused , not true. All about the numbers and how many calls you make and meetings you get . High stress environment. Not One person likes working here all want to move onto something better. Wages are much lower then anywhere else. Don’t waste your time working at CIBC. Wait for a better job!
Pros
The co workers and clients !!
Cons
Stress, management, no help, all about bottom line
Colleagues are all very nice.However, the management team really sucks... lack of leadership and micromanage. During the COVID-19, they refuse to install the glass board in each office because they said its too expensive. So hilarious!They prohibit you to call personal day even you provide a valid reason. Very uncompetitive compensation compare to other FI.Only love to provide good compensation to employees from competitors or even new graduates and treat extremely unfair to their existing employees...Didn't provide 2-week pay when you resign but they walk you out immediately, even banks not in the big five will give that pay. What a shame!
Pros
Colleagues are all nice
Cons
Everything except colleague
CIBC has poor leadership; they have limited understanding of the needs of their staff and it is not a priority to rectify the deficiency. This makes it difficult to help your employees become self-actualized. A large percentage of the leadership simply lack the EQ to perform this task or even understand it. There are some decent leaders, but not all employees may experience this, as the middling performers tend to be ignored rather than encouraged to improve. The bank prefers fealty (sycophants) over performance. You could work 60 hours a week or 30 hours a week and get the same rating, as employee performance measurement is more about ticking the box, than evaluating the employee or helping them grow. Similarly, the yearly leadership rating system, ESAT is not effective. If you are one of the chosen you could have multiple poor ESAT scores and live to underperform another year. Conversely if you are a good leader, but someone dislikes you, you are likely to be shunned. There is also no screening of new people managers, training courses can only help so much, when you do not offer the compensation to attract good talent. Do not expect HR to help the employee, they are there to do management’s bidding and bury it deep. The quality of the staff is quite disparate, those who have decent skills may get promoted, but it is more likely that they will be under appreciated and leave. This is largely a function of the leadership issues outlined above, but the performance rating also plays a role in this problem. The under performers are paid the same or more as the hard-working talent. - more...
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Poor management
Too much favoritism and you need to boss's favorite pet to get raise or bonus , hiring process is fix they know whom to hire and fire, mamager only hire people from his own community
Pros
Cons
Too much pressure and under paid
Unprofessional behaviour of manager. You’re treated well when you suck up to the managers. Manager rude to and in front of clients. Even some csr’s show pouty faces to clients but no one is there to correct the behaviour. Colleagues act like they’re your friends but they backstab you the minute your back is turned to them. Partisan behaviour.
Pros
Some Benefits
Cons
Fast paced. Low pay. High stress.
Everyone worked in their area doing their things. Pleasant ambiance to walk into and work in. Courteous and helpful, with the willingness to extend any help required.
Amazing support from Sr Director I worked for given a project work with open analytic question to solve. I guess it all boils down to who you work for rather than the whole organization.
Pros
relaxed environment, amazing support for work and thrive
Cons
limited opportunity during covid19 time
This was a time before computers, 1979. When being a teller was not about retail goals and sales were not part of the job description of teller. Everyone was upbeat and customer service was most important.
Pros
Such a great place to work and learn
Cons
Everything was manual. No computers.
Has flexibility in work, with good work life balance, good employee benefits and banking offers. Fast paced work environment, room for growth and learning, good reward and recognition programs.
Glad I got my experience at CIBC but the negatives outweighed the job I went to another institution after 3.5years. they had good hours but aside from that there was no training, lack of leadership and horrible employee culture.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Incompetent leadership, underpaid, undervalued, aggressive sales goals, no coaching, no support, negative employee culture
  1. Employee reviews