CIBC
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

CIBC Work-life balance reviews

Found 1,150 reviews matching the search
Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
I enjoyed a 23 year career with CIBC and held various titles. Very happy. Wonderful people, good Management overall. Made great memories. Entry level employees have lots of room to advance. The firm believes in their employees’ Development.?
Pros
Room to grow- lots to learn
Cons
Can be stressful at times. Not for the timid
My many years at CIBC offered me the opportunity to advance and gain skills and knowledge that would support my long term goals. It was my work place f choice.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Find a job somewhere else. No chance to move internally. HR person could turn around to make himself as an IT manager. Can you imagine an HR staff could make himself an manager?
You are just a number to drive sales...they don't care if you have covid or anything else...tick the boxes...makes sure the bs metrics add up. If you like micromanagement..you'll love CIBC.
Pros
Cons
Everythin
Pure focus on numbers and profits - work overtime without getting paid and top down culture with managers telling you what to do without any support or assistance.
Pros
Previous management was good and previously they had better work life balance
Cons
Long hours, demanding managers that don’t care about you or basic human rights like treating people well.
If you thrive in a fast paced corporate environment, this is the place for you. But you get to meet great colleagues from different cultures and you can even get motivated to put in your best depending on your personality.
Pros
Diverse workplace
Cons
Fast paced
Let me be perfectly clear on this review, I am not here to bash a company or talk bad about it. It was a wonderful first experience and I have wonderful memories only because I had a wonderful Team (co workers) in which I could rely on and a great progress leader. At the end, the end of progress or follow up, the endless critics on some mistake you have done with no gratitude for the great work you are doing ended making my stay a h3ll. The progress leader with no much experience was a problem when you needed help. The overwhelming work of the Team leaders. At the end of the day, administration and PR and HR was a disaster. but others had a great time over there after some changes. I highly recommend this is ever you apply. A corporation is a corporation (they want perfection and results). so keep this in mind and always keep your mental health check.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hard calls, hours
I had a 47 year career with CIBC. There were many opportunities for me to advance my career starting with my experience at the branch level and continuing with VISA centre where I was so fortunate to be involved in so many aspects of CIBC.
Mangement still thinks traditional ways. Even if you work hard, you can grow gradually. Plenty of scope to learn new things. But you may need to perform really well to prove and show your presence.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Politics and old ways of thinking
I felt like I had no work life balance. High turn over of staff and the sales model having to contact clients plus keep up with workload was impossible. Never seemed to do enough for the company’s liking.
Everything is based on targets and you're not looked as a person with feelings. They make you work like robots by making 20 calls per hour and then want you to bring a personal touch to each call and do everything perfectly. Micromanagement to the core and even washroom breaks are being monitored and they will call you out on everything from washroom breaks to any personal break you take for yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Too much focus on targets
Working for cibc is easy. Most departments have good leadership team snd within the teams small different culture exhibits..work life balance is not that high may be our salary range is not competitive
Pros
Lots of team events
Cons
Work life balance
I had worked with CIBC for close to 6 years. All this time thinking that this was the best place to work and grow. I slowly started realizing just how cheap and unfair this company is. Working at the call center was stressful as it is. So, i moved to the branch a year later. Branch was no good either. With DVP's changing all the time, and new policies coming in place every other month, it was a lot to keep up with. Because of rising expenses, the company decided to kick a lot of people, took control of basic branch expenses, took away the coffee that was being serves to the customers. If a customer came in asking for water, we would have to run to the manager asking for a cup, as they would hide it in their drawers and lock them away. Customer are not people for the big banks they are just numbers. This would be same for all banks just that the intensity of selling things would be different. As sad as it is, people think that working for a bank would be a privilege but in reality it felt nothing less than working as a car salesman to me. We were practically forced to sell sell and re-sell to the same customers if needed. The basic trend is to offer the customer a credit card, once they overuse the card, offer the customer a line of credit. If the customer overuses the line of credit, then offer them a loan. This is a good enough tactic to anchor the customer to that particular bank. Why would you switch banks if you think your bank is doing so much for you.About work ethics and being respected at workplace, dont keep your expectation high. Even if you get a good manager, - more...
Pros
Benefits, mostly helpful co-workers and reliable support staff over the phone. salary, paid and unpaid vacation
Cons
Unpaid long hours to finish outstanding work, worst management, car salesman like feel, lack of freedom and creativity and many more already mentioned.
Lots of opportunities for advancement, great sense of comraderie and work place has many fun functions. Great place for competitive people who are looking for advancement in their career. Good company incentives
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Competitive
Fifty fifty on the overall work culture as it depends on the team you join. Your skills don't matter at all when it comes to progressing, only who likes you or not. If you don't speak up against anything that is going wrong, you are deemed an excellent employee. Most managers have no clue what people management is. Good for internships, nothing else in IT department. Everything is outsourced to vendors. No real learning or work.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No growth
Pay for entry level is good (approx 40,000/year) but you are dealing with constant micromanagement down to the literal words you say and everything is numerically tracked. If you are a high performing rep then you will get a bigger bonus at the end of the year but it doesn't outweigh potentially carrying your entire team - if you work harder and are successful, your only reward is more calls. Management is very target-oriented and the constant pressure to hit your targets can be very stressful. Meanwhile you are dealing with clients on the phone all day who are sometimes friendly, but usually totally indifferent and sometimes extremely hostile. Overall, I would recommend working here for a year if you need the money as the pay is quite good, but don't waste away years here. I was promoted to another department with lower call volumes as a result of high performance, and I'll never forget what my cubicle mate who has been in the main telephone banking queue said to me: "Good for you for getting out of this." I think that it a pretty accurate summary of what you should aim for at this job: get in, get paid, but whatever you do don't stay too long.
Everyone worked in their area doing their things. Pleasant ambiance to walk into and work in. Courteous and helpful, with the willingness to extend any help required.
Amazing support from Sr Director I worked for given a project work with open analytic question to solve. I guess it all boils down to who you work for rather than the whole organization.
Pros
relaxed environment, amazing support for work and thrive
Cons
limited opportunity during covid19 time
Has flexibility in work, with good work life balance, good employee benefits and banking offers. Fast paced work environment, room for growth and learning, good reward and recognition programs.
Good job, nice work environment. Nice work life balance. Never take the job home with you. Lots of pressure to sell products to people even if they don’t need them.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Sales pressure and low pay when I was there
  1. Work-Life Balance