CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews for Financial Representative

Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
If you thrive in a fast paced corporate environment, this is the place for you. But you get to meet great colleagues from different cultures and you can even get motivated to put in your best depending on your personality.
Pros
Diverse workplace
Cons
Fast paced
Give it asecond thought.too much sales pressure with poor training. Unrealistic targets and goals.The pay and benefits do not worth all the pressure. Managers bully you if you can’t meet your targets and favouritism rules.
They treat you bad. Not appreciated. They play you guys up against each other. Management wasn’t great either. They discuss private info with others
I work in a very nice branch located in a small town. So not a lot pressure on sales. Managers are not pushy and very reasonable person.Salary of retail banking is not competitive.
I felt like I had no work life balance. High turn over of staff and the sales model having to contact clients plus keep up with workload was impossible. Never seemed to do enough for the company’s liking.
Corp-speak is that CIBC no longer has managers, only leaders. However, leaders are notoriously rare; managers are ubiquitous. I had one leader in the years I worked there; all the rest were managers. Just one example of the difference. The leader to whom I referred would stop, no matter how busy he/she was to ask, and meant it, how are you doing? Can I help? Managers only stop to berate; leaders stop because they care.Hypocrisy. It is said that CIBC cares for its clients, deeply. However ‘caring’ only extends to how many $$ you are worth. For example, the time one must spend to help elderly people who are confused, persons who are angry or the time to input data about POAs and estates (and other such necessary work) is not countable in the numbers BECAUSE THEY DO NOT MAKE REVENUE. The longer a manager has been away from the computer-driven work-life being done by those they say they are leading, the further their knowledge deficit grows. Their narrowed knowledge then allows them to justify piling up workloads on the basis of alleged scientific metrics. And their bonuses and much higher wages encourage them as managers, not leaders.
Pros
benefits: once you retire, if you or your spouse get critically ill or die before retirement
Cons
Many managers, few leaders.
I had worked with CIBC for close to 6 years. All this time thinking that this was the best place to work and grow. I slowly started realizing just how cheap and unfair this company is. Working at the call center was stressful as it is. So, i moved to the branch a year later. Branch was no good either. With DVP's changing all the time, and new policies coming in place every other month, it was a lot to keep up with. Because of rising expenses, the company decided to kick a lot of people, took control of basic branch expenses, took away the coffee that was being serves to the customers. If a customer came in asking for water, we would have to run to the manager asking for a cup, as they would hide it in their drawers and lock them away. Customer are not people for the big banks they are just numbers. This would be same for all banks just that the intensity of selling things would be different. As sad as it is, people think that working for a bank would be a privilege but in reality it felt nothing less than working as a car salesman to me. We were practically forced to sell sell and re-sell to the same customers if needed. The basic trend is to offer the customer a credit card, once they overuse the card, offer the customer a line of credit. If the customer overuses the line of credit, then offer them a loan. This is a good enough tactic to anchor the customer to that particular bank. Why would you switch banks if you think your bank is doing so much for you.About work ethics and being respected at workplace, dont keep your expectation high. Even if you get a good manager, - more...
Pros
Benefits, mostly helpful co-workers and reliable support staff over the phone. salary, paid and unpaid vacation
Cons
Unpaid long hours to finish outstanding work, worst management, car salesman like feel, lack of freedom and creativity and many more already mentioned.
Management very poor, co workers made to cry and so stressed they can’t sleep. , only worried about bottom line. Does not back employees. Say they are client focused , not true. All about the numbers and how many calls you make and meetings you get . High stress environment. Not One person likes working here all want to move onto something better. Wages are much lower then anywhere else. Don’t waste your time working at CIBC. Wait for a better job!
Pros
The co workers and clients !!
Cons
Stress, management, no help, all about bottom line
Colleagues are all very nice.However, the management team really sucks... lack of leadership and micromanage. During the COVID-19, they refuse to install the glass board in each office because they said its too expensive. So hilarious!They prohibit you to call personal day even you provide a valid reason. Very uncompetitive compensation compare to other FI.Only love to provide good compensation to employees from competitors or even new graduates and treat extremely unfair to their existing employees...Didn't provide 2-week pay when you resign but they walk you out immediately, even banks not in the big five will give that pay. What a shame!
Pros
Colleagues are all nice
Cons
Everything except colleague
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CIBC?
It is important that your manager likes you. If management does not want you to succeed, you will fail. A lot of complains from clients about shortage of tellers and about high turnover of Financial Service Representatives. Overtime is not paid but you have to come to work early and leave later to do paperwork
Pros
Good benefits, employee sharing plan, experience
Cons
Overtime not paid, big push for sales, cold calls, difficult to get a personal day even if you are sick
Great Platform to experience your knowledge and skills . Branch hours are long . The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet with new client everyday .
Great place to work. Management is always helpful, encouraging and supportive. Staff is well diversified and friendly. Work hours are reasonable although some days are longer than others. Would be nice to have a better salary considering the responsibilities but benefits and pension are great.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Can be stressful
high stress level no support from Management No training Moral is low at most branches; Will not advance you into a different position; No support when you need to report a manager or employee
Pros
pay
Cons
high stress no work life balance
Working at CIBC is HORRIBLE. Right out of the gates, it takes a couple months to start working once you've been hired. Then their training program is a joke. They push you through is as fast as possible, and throw you to the wolves to get chewed up and spit out. Clients scream at employees all day - everyday. Once again, I'll blame this on the training program leaving everybody to be incompetent. There is never any staff at locations, because everyone quits!!! And because everyone quits there is way to much work to do with no staff. This is what I was told when I started working a bunch of overtime, in order to complete my work.... "If you come in early, or stay late you cannot put in the overtime hours. Legally we have to pay you, but if you claim it then we won't let you stay". SO, not only am i trying to to the job for 3 employees (and I'm getting the same god awful pay), but not I'm not allowed to claim the overtime. They would rather sacrifice the clients and employees happiness, then spare a few extra dollars from the billions they make.
Work Hard and demand growth. Keep up to date on financial news and changes in financial industry Keep focus to achieve targets and adhere to company policies and risk guidelines.
Required to learn anything related to retail banking but being paid less than other banks. Work environment is competitive, managers always encourage us to perform better and improve. Consistently monitor our performance and provide feedback
Not a good environment for work. Micro managing and bossy management. Ask to meet regular target even during Covid 19 Situation. Corporate management is excellent but local management is worst.
If you like getting the feeling of being punched in the face every day, you should consider a job at CIBC. The experience will be full of regret, threats and constant abuse. Being at CIBC feels like a family of starving hyena that are waiting for you to get sick so they can feed off your corpse. Getting this job will make you feel good 1% and a piece of flying garbage manure that fell from the sky 99%.
CIBC is a good place to start but provides almost no room for advancement. Systems are out-of-date and new management has brought inconsistencies in expectations of our role and work is not valued. Good benefits, pay is not competitive, would not stay here long term.
My job can be very busy and fast paced but it is very exciting and it feels amazing to help people reach their financial goals. CIBC gives great support to their staff to ensure they can work productively and enjoy their work atmosphere.
  1. Financial Representative