Play YouTube video button

CIBC Employee Reviews for Branch Manager

Branch Manager38 reviews
Canada38 reviews
Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
After 11 years it seemed i was just anothe rnumber at the end of the day. Benefits are good and theres potential to move up but the talent management is sub par and they're seemingly only interested in hitting targets no matter how you get there.
CIBC in comparison to the other banks generally pays slightly higher for lower-level positions such as FSR, CSR. The technology facing the customer is best in industry, but the technology that staff uses is outdated, rarely works and is extremely frustrating.

CIBC intimidates their employees and the culture is based on fear of not reaching targets. Management from all levels intimidates employees and suggests they are providing coaching but really just push front line staff to sell products clients do not need. If you do not do this you are put on a performance review and fired. They will find any excuse to fire you after you reach the top tier pay of your position because they use young people to pay less.

Horrible company - great place to learn how corrupt corporate banks are in Canada.
Pros
Bankers hours
Cons
Management, pay, too high of expectations, micro-management.
Salaries are not compatible with the work load. it is less than what other banks offer their employees. Banks should not get rid of their staff and turn digital.
I found CIBC very welcoming and staff were supportive. Management was once of the best I ever met. Systems were outdated but company was addressing that as best they could I enjoyed my time their and only reason I left was a better offer from a former collegue
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Old systems
CIBC is 1 of the top 5 financial institutions in Canada. CIBC has a fantastic inhouse training and development plan so that when you are done the training you feel confident going fully into your role. CIBC works very hard to ensure all employees have the tools and support to grow
I was unable to follow a career path suited to me. I was able to demonstrate that the career path I sought was the correct, with the success I had in the future.
Pros
Sound business
Cons
narrow minded philosophy
I like the management style and happy co-workers around. I felt motivated to work every day. Very supportive managers and back office make the job easier and i enjoy helping customers.
Good job, professional atmosphere. I would recommend CIBC to someone who is seeking employment in a financial industry. Good compensation, Annual Bonuses, good Benefits.
I would give caution to anyone thinking of working in the banking industry as I was part of the management team you are paid salary and not paid any extra for staying late and helping others balance there tills or anything that upper management requires of you. many people working in the banking industry are stuck feeling unhappy and unfulfilled. As far as the pay goes it was decent but not at all worth the stress. the most enjoyable part of the job was my ability to move forward within the company. this is a face paced industry if you cannot keep up you will be left behind. working for Cibc has taught me many things and helped me move on and change my career completely, I would never go back and change anything.
Clientele is diverse and loving. Once you get to know them they treat you like family and they make it easy to love your job. Colleagues are fun to work with and knowledgeable
Assistant branch Manager quit, so I picked up the responsibilities of the assistant branch manager without the pay increase.

The work is good, they just need to fill the roles properly or compensate the individual doing the work.
Enjoy training and managing employees Great possibilities for moving up in the organization Always rewarded for the hard work and dedication
I had the opportunity to open three new branches in our district successfully Always ensured that the team was working in a safe environment As a senior manager I also did a lot of charity work One of my accomplishments was volunteering as a district organizer for the York Region Run for the Cure one of CIBCs many charities
Pros
Managers and employees always recognized for the hard work
Cons
Worked long hours and never stayed at the same location for more than 3 years
Love the CEO a real people person he is someone who enhances the brand by his presence. Employees engage with each other celebrating success and accomplishments together.
Pros
Free lunches and Reward and Recognition
Cons
Non
Working for CIBC has taught me many things over the time spent working for the company. It allowed me to learn and grow within the company environment to meet my personal priorities and objectives. I began my career as a part-time csr and was quickly able to move onto a full time position with the company. Through hard work and initiatives I was able to further my career and balance work and my personal life to become part of the management team. The branch environment is one where the focus is customer service oriented and that was my most enjoyable part of the day to day operations. Meeting and getting to know our clients was an integral part of the workplace culture and finding solutions for our clients gave me a deep personal satisfaction of accomplishment. Our unit worked as a team and our results reflected that team spirit.
Pros
Ability to further your career within the company and balance work and life style.
Cons
Long hours and working short handed with minimal staff at hand to assist in helping the front line.
It was an enjoyable place to work. The products and services offered were appropriate for the majority of clients. Workplace culture became more about profitability rather than the appropriate service to the client
CIBC doesn't seem to care that their base customers in the rural areas sometimes don't have or use computers. There only concern seems to be that they make record profits and allow the larger officers and CEO's to get record salaries and make the people doing the worrk struggle with making ends meat.
Pros
good basic benefits
Cons
terrible starting wages compared to the rest of the company
Over the years the in branch roles appear to be scheduled to be removed. More emphasis is placed on alternative delivery channels which do not require personalized service. Even advisor positions are being moved away from the branches. I have found that the loyalty which the bank use to have for employees is slowly being eroded away, so my advise to newer employees was to learn and take away everything that you can, give the bank 100% but take care of yourself first.
A typical day, ensuring staff and clients are happy -Client Satisfaction
Branch managers learning course which included customer satisfaction, how to attend to various staff behaviours, from staff that need improvement to those that excel

Keeping a healthy workplace

The hardest part of the job is dealing with those that have behavioural issues/attitudes and bring down the morale in the workplace

most enjoyable is those that are willing to make a difference, making a difference with clients is another better part of the job
Pros
extra learning and luncheons
Cons
daily tracking
Very much enjoyed my years with CIBC. You are encouraged and . helped to achieve your career goals. Performance is rewarded through the bonus program that CIBC has in place. You will have sales targets in all roles that need to be met but with the products and coaching CIBC provides these targets are very reasonable.
Benefits
Cons
Some longer hours
Joined CIBC in 1985 as teller. There is always room to expand your career. Company cares about each employee. I retired in 2015 after 32 years of service.