CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews in Winnipeg, MB

The job is to provide Financial Advice for clients that includes open checking and savings account, investments, mortgages, retirement planning and so on.
Worked at Winnipeg branch. The retail VP BM is a completely useless. Some managers have no clue of what they are doing, because they don't have financial was educational background.
Pros
New ceo is great
Cons
They need to get rid off VP IN CENTEAL CANANDA
Working for CIBC was great. The free banking and health and dental benefits was a definite bonus. The comprehensive training allowed me to perform and excel at my job.
CIBC is an excellent bank which has provided me a long term career. I retired from CIBC in 2019 after over 30 years will the company on two different occasions
Pros
excellent working environment
Cons
none specific
coworkers are nice bu managers are not providing sufficient support. more training should be provided, minimum promotion opportunities. Right now company is more focus on client relationships , less sales target than before.
I cannot comment on this company. I worked for them over 30 years ago. My opinion is not relevant any more. They have changed dramatically since I've been there.
I would start with reviewing & disbursing the mail. I'd audit stock & debenture certificates to ensure they were registered in the correct names. I'd submit the account receivable & accounts payable entries for processing to our Toronto office. I'd help with the quarterly & annual mailing of our customers. I would reconcile accounts that were assigned to me.
Pros
I worked with a great staff
Cons
No job security
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help and assist the clients and having that interaction. Also making sure the clients left with their issue resolved and that they were happy with the service.
fun environment busy day great management good work hours difficult clients sometimes handle a lot of transactions and currancy formal attire only one break
I could barely make a living off the wages I was being paid, I had to leave this employer. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to work for CIBC however, I learned so much about how to properly handle my finances that I am in a great financial position now.
I really enjoyed my time with CIBC. Managemnt was awesome and always had time to listen to new ideas. We learned and adhered to products and procedures daily and always made our clients to come first. We had daily huddles to see if people needed to help others to obtain our deadlines and I had always enjoyed helping others and training other people to make them understand.
Pros
They always made ways to make your day go well and we always had pot lucks.
Cons
Technology updates took time
While volunteering for this event, it was absolutely inspiring being able to look at the big picture and to see how much people (3000+) dedicated themselves to running for a cause. Running the same distance as each runner to take photos was tiring, but it felt as if I was running for a cause too. Seeing everyone cross the finish line proved to me that if you motivate yourself to do something, you will be rewarded. Seeing the smiles on everyone's face and seeing how united everyone was has inspired me to always show my love to those around me.
Pros
Free food, t-shirts, etc
Cons
Keeping up with runners
Wonderful workplace. Great hours. Gave me the experience I needed to move on to the career I wanted to move on to for the future. It was a great place to work.
Excellent training, very demanding in terms of reaching your goals. A lot of systems, mortgage system is old fashioned and the managers has no authority regards of lending
Work and life are balanced at CIBC wood Gundy. therefore, it is not stressful and It can be challenging because I did risk analysis for share holder and and data analytics for the company. It was productive and very educational.
Pros
the security is excellent and I felt safe.
Cons
It can be very relaxed and too distracting if the manager is away from office.
The job itself was great, solid stable hours, challenging and fast-paced environment, and a nice team to work with. Management at the branch I worked at was lacking a lot. There was a lot of bullying going on, and a lack of guidance at times when it comes to sales tactics and new practices. The way that employees were treated left me disheartened and looking for something else, anywhere else. I'm sure many other branches were great and totally different, but that is my experience.
Pros
Generous with hours, flexible schedule, good team work
Cons
They have a "core staff" .. load up new employees and let a good portion go before the banking year end .. so many "new" employees last about 18-24 months. New staff are used to go the scripted conversations and to draw in the new business, and the longer term employees are more than happy to mentor as they benefit from it. Poor management, however outstanding training. The training, they have terrific infrastructure in place to handle it. Most new employees find this very impressive and look forward to a long future. Be aware new jobs are LOW SKILL - SCRIPTED positions (think used car lot with a bunch of sales people skimming the lobby as fly catchers). If things go wrong the lowest employee will get the blame. If you are new to the country or young and "attractive" you have a good chance with this company - but expect "cubical" life that is the same day after day. The co workers are terrific and helpful. Typical day is a "pep talk" in the morning, usually a conference call and meeting after that. Minimum of two hours of cold calling each morning. You meet with maybe 3 or 4 appointments a day, do cashier duties a great deal (say 15 people a day), lobby is an hour a day. New staff also shadow or coordinate about an hour a day with the senior staff. Salary and benefits are "okay" but much lower than in the past, reflective of the deskilling in the lower ranks. Advancement is possible if you can show you will "tow the line" and you show you will follow the orders without question.
Pros
Outstanding training and support for new employees. The investiment shows.
Cons
Extreme high turn over, low intellect scripted days.
Typical day at work is dealing with clients who want some knowledge on accounts,investments, and other banking , Opening accounts for clients as well do clerical work, handle questions and complaints. Meeting targets and doing a lot of sales. I have learnt a lot about the different types of investments that are offered, a better way of savings and building for a future. Management is great, co workers are great. I am very out going so it makes things a lot easier to get a lot with everyone. The hardest part is working 8 hours with a half and hour break. Enjoyable part is knowing I have made a client happy and they are off to a good start with confidence with there funds.
Pros
Management and Co workers/Clients
Cons
Pay/Hours
CIBC is a good company to work for, the people there were great. The position does not pay well in comparison to the other big banks in Canada
Gained additional knowledge and skills Good Pay Good Benefits
Pros
good benefits
It's a fast-paced environment for we had to meet our deadlines. It's nice working in there for everyone is nice and cooperative. We are at the busiest time during the first week of the month. I miss my co-workers.