CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
Corp-speak is that CIBC no longer has managers, only leaders. However, leaders are notoriously rare; managers are ubiquitous. I had one leader in the years I worked there; all the rest were managers. Just one example of the difference. The leader to whom I referred would stop, no matter how busy he/she was to ask, and meant it, how are you doing? Can I help? Managers only stop to berate; leaders stop because they care.Hypocrisy. It is said that CIBC cares for its clients, deeply. However ‘caring’ only extends to how many $$ you are worth. For example, the time one must spend to help elderly people who are confused, persons who are angry or the time to input data about POAs and estates (and other such necessary work) is not countable in the numbers BECAUSE THEY DO NOT MAKE REVENUE. The longer a manager has been away from the computer-driven work-life being done by those they say they are leading, the further their knowledge deficit grows. Their narrowed knowledge then allows them to justify piling up workloads on the basis of alleged scientific metrics. And their bonuses and much higher wages encourage them as managers, not leaders.
Pros
benefits: once you retire, if you or your spouse get critically ill or die before retirement
Cons
Many managers, few leaders.
Nice place to work at if you want an office type of job, but the management isn’t as good as how i expected them to be. Also, they dont give as much importance to employees who are hired thru agencies and kinda treat us as disposable, so this made me regret so much about my decisions of working for this company.
Pros
Free coffee/tea
Cons
Spontaneous extending of hours
Learned a lot about banking, finances, and corporate environment. Lots of training resources, but not as much coaching as there could be. I found that the high turnover of branch staff led to most of my job dissatisfaction. The fact that we were constantly training new hires, also meant that the higher level servicing tasks fell to the longest tenured employee. It was difficult to maintain sales excellence while also doing more than your fair share of non-revenue generating tasks. That said, I have been out of the branch environment for 4 years. I very much have enjoyed working in the Mobile Advice channel.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
high turnover and understaffing
Local management in my area is great, but senior management is out of touch. Here are some pros and cons. Cons: - lower pay than other banks - there is an attitude at all levels of the bank to "get lost of you don't like it here" - external hires are always paid more than existing staff - EXTREMELY glitchy, poorly designed and antiquated computer systems - terrible business banking team and products (dead-last among Canadian Banks) - constant cuts to "non-productive" support/service roles with tellers and associate/assistants - lack of tenured/knowledgeable staff - constant "gaming" by sales staff to inflate their sales numbers (no one is measured by the same standards) - poor culture that promotes mediocrity and underpays the most talented staff (this is done in a number of ways, primarily bonuses, pay structure and incentive programs) - fewer and fewer teller hours are available (many branches frequently operate with a single teller and no lunch coverage) - lots of inefficiencies with internal systems (for example, mortgage assumptions are done on PAPER and MAILED to head office, all RIFF GIC renewals are done via a manual form that gets processed several days later by the back office, mortgage documents are printed and assembled manually by the lender often taking 30+ minutes, the only way to inquire about a transaction is to order the original paper receipt, among other things). - employees are not valued and are treated like they are expendable (because they are) - client statements are not consolidated in one place (you may have to go to 3-4 different programs - more...
CIBC is the place where you can learn a lot if you want to learn but you will not have enough strategic support from the team or management to get proper training, so if you would like to learn by yourself than it would not be difficult place to work. Overall very good.
Pay sucks, it depends what branch you are, it can make your job fun or very stressful. Some managers are amazing, others are just garbage, as they have no formal training.
CIBC is a diverse company in that they recognize and appreciate all of their employees in a fair and respectful manner. I would not hesitate to recommend them to others seeking long term employment.
I have not worked there for a very long time. But bank culture is sell, sell, sell. So even if you are taking an admin job, you will be expected to sell. Worked with some very nice people and I think it's great start for college students wanting to gain experience.
The company is getting away from service and focussing mainly on sales. People are being laid off or are leaving in staggering numbers. People have decided to move to other FI's who are more focussed on client experience.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CIBC?
Something is missing with the training and motivation of new staff and actually old staff Otherwise great staff that motivate each other
Pros
Lots of them
Cons
Some managers didn't lead by example
I am not interested in reviewing, this pop up wont go away. They were OK to work for. It had its ups and downs, but mostly a nice place to work.
if you are looking for a stable 9 to 5 job with good benefits CIBC is great , but with a confused corporate culture and a highschool work environment have lead me to seek a more professional culture that is client focused and believes in ethical practices
Pros
9 to 5 job
Cons
poor culture
I had a great experience form working at one of Canadian largest bank CIBC. Good team, great management, great job to do.
I learned how to use a point of sale and improved my customer service skills.I then advanced to managing schedules, marketing materials placement and much more.