CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
I had a 47 year career with CIBC. There were many opportunities for me to advance my career starting with my experience at the branch level and continuing with VISA centre where I was so fortunate to be involved in so many aspects of CIBC.
Everything is based on targets and you're not looked as a person with feelings. They make you work like robots by making 20 calls per hour and then want you to bring a personal touch to each call and do everything perfectly. Micromanagement to the core and even washroom breaks are being monitored and they will call you out on everything from washroom breaks to any personal break you take for yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Too much focus on targets
Required to learn anything related to retail banking but being paid less than other banks. Work environment is competitive, managers always encourage us to perform better and improve. Consistently monitor our performance and provide feedback
Sales sales sales sales ! Oh I forgot, sales . It doesn’t matter if the client needs the financial product or not. Somehow, You have to reach your quota and you have to figure out how to do it.
Everything is expected even without FSRDP. I think more training should be given and then expectations should be placed. Manager knows nothing about banking and manipulates to show she knows.
No matter how long you’ve been, whether if you are in a branch or in a department, once they have changes they will cut off people, not for progress, but for their cost cutting.
The culture has changed for the worse. Too many competing priorities and a very ‘top down’ approach. You can also not speak up if you are overwhelmed. No one wants to hear any feedback.
Working with CIBC as a bank teller was very well structured. Learning programs were allotted time to train and understand the company itself and teller duties. Efficient team environment. The employees that work there make the busy, high-intensity work environment barely manageable.
Learned a lot at this company. Management is amazing and fully supportive. The company itself is concentrated on the growth and development of their employees. Great benefits as well.
Basically, the worse thing that have ever happened to me and I do not wish to my worse enemy. I delivered great results and I have never received any commission or recognition. It is a pain to have to put this experience in my resume. Maybe, you will find a better division, but mine is a no-go for sure.
Pros
stable salary, some medical benefits
Cons
crazy schedules, no commission, lack of recognition, highly unprofessional
Working at CIBC was very busy but structured. Every morning there were team meetings to overview the days workload. There are many opportunities to switch departments and advance in the career, which is nice. Hardest aspect of the job was outdated systems, on occasion it would be lagged by up to 6 hours, given the usage, but otherwise would lag 1-2 hours which is still unacceptable in the back office mortgage department. Enjoyed the job other than the outdated / slow system.
Hardest part of the job was changing the cultural mindset to new technology or was of sales collaboration. Very resistant to change at retail level. Not in line with Executive management.
Start my work day early at 8:00 am to check my email. leave home to work at the nearby branch from 9:00 - 1:00 pm. Lunch and visit my COI, potential mortgage clients & other branch colleagues. Go home at 3:00 pm to work my existing or new file. finish at around 6:00 pm.
Pros
time management by myself
Cons
long hours of work even 6 or 7 days a week.
Great corporate culture. Fun place to grow and make good money while having a work/life balance. The ability to share best practices with leadership and having them acknowledge and take into consideration changes for the channel to continue growing is great to see.
Great bank and environment however, part-time positions don't pay enough for expense of living in this expensive city. Overall it's a good place to work as long as you have a second job.
Pros
Growth Opportunities, Major bank
Cons
Lack of incentive
CIBC has been moved to Toronto. Salary is too low. Management was not helpful to find job for employee .It's unionized but benefit is good.I tried to apply at the branch but the management was not very helpful to assist employee in finding job across CIBC
Pros
Gym
Cons
No assistance in finding a job when company moved to toronto
great team and management, the team is always willing to give help and the management is always willing to assist when needed in any situation. great benefits
CIBC is a great company to work for if you are stress-resistant and a good seller. It is a very competitive environment. You have help but you must be able to sell and be good in this.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High pressure to sell
reputable company. good benefits. More tasks added for same job. Job titles change often but not the pay Staff turnover is very high Flexibility in the shift eg can start early as 7 am or 9am Focus is on Sales
Pros
flexibility with shift
Cons
stressful
CIBC is a great company to work for. They empowered their employees to best judge the work they need to do to better help our clients. CIBC is a self motivated environment with a team feeling.