CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Found 1,568 reviews matching the search
Featured review
CIBC selected this as a representative review
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives.
Love imperial bank- I think I can retire here.Great culture, great work ethics, great banking products for employees.Supportive managers to Executive Vice Presidents
Pros
Work culture
You are just a number to drive sales...they don't care if you have covid or anything else...tick the boxes...makes sure the bs metrics add up. If you like micromanagement..you'll love CIBC.
Pros
Cons
Everythin
Pure focus on numbers and profits - work overtime without getting paid and top down culture with managers telling you what to do without any support or assistance.
Pros
Previous management was good and previously they had better work life balance
Cons
Long hours, demanding managers that don’t care about you or basic human rights like treating people well.
* Great training team, management fair, friendly and caring.* Weekly reviews, great information, great training tools involved with self learning, training class.
Good company to work for. Negotiate strong and hard for a good salary upfront that you will be happy with for at least a couple of years. They start low but can go higher, do not accept “you are the highest in a range”. it is very difficult to increase salary once in a position. Ask upfront what the salary range is.
Pros
Free banking and good employee mortgage rates
Cons
Many layers to navigate
Awesome culture and very involved team. Great place to learn how the bank run in Canada. A lot interaction cross team. Very repetitive task all day long.
Pros
Free drinks, 1 hour break, friendly coworker
Cons
No free parking, No paid overtime, high volume target, favouritism toward Indian race, poor training
Give it asecond thought.too much sales pressure with poor training. Unrealistic targets and goals.The pay and benefits do not worth all the pressure. Managers bully you if you can’t meet your targets and favouritism rules.
I felt like I had no work life balance. High turn over of staff and the sales model having to contact clients plus keep up with workload was impossible. Never seemed to do enough for the company’s liking.
I have been working in CIBC for more than 13 years holding different roles. Not all the departments in CIBC are the same; hence the work experience. I worked in one of the most critical and key divisions in CIBC responsible to create, maintain, and enhance customer information in whole CIBC and associated firms outside of Canada. In regards to that particular devision I was extremely satisfied with my working environment specially people who I worked with. As a contractor I really felt that my service is valued and in return I did my best to contribute as much as I could. Relationship of people in the teams I worked was very friendly and at the same time very professional.
Pros
Satsifaction
Stay away from CIBC. TWO-faced sneaky managers. You never know where you stand until they let you go. People are weeping as they fire them! No compassion or warning EVER. WORST EXECUTIVE Management
Pros
Window cubicle
Cons
Fifty fifty on the overall work culture as it depends on the team you join. Your skills don't matter at all when it comes to progressing, only who likes you or not. If you don't speak up against anything that is going wrong, you are deemed an excellent employee. Most managers have no clue what people management is. Good for internships, nothing else in IT department. Everything is outsourced to vendors. No real learning or work.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No growth
Pay for entry level is good (approx 40,000/year) but you are dealing with constant micromanagement down to the literal words you say and everything is numerically tracked. If you are a high performing rep then you will get a bigger bonus at the end of the year but it doesn't outweigh potentially carrying your entire team - if you work harder and are successful, your only reward is more calls. Management is very target-oriented and the constant pressure to hit your targets can be very stressful. Meanwhile you are dealing with clients on the phone all day who are sometimes friendly, but usually totally indifferent and sometimes extremely hostile. Overall, I would recommend working here for a year if you need the money as the pay is quite good, but don't waste away years here. I was promoted to another department with lower call volumes as a result of high performance, and I'll never forget what my cubicle mate who has been in the main telephone banking queue said to me: "Good for you for getting out of this." I think that it a pretty accurate summary of what you should aim for at this job: get in, get paid, but whatever you do don't stay too long.
CIBC has poor leadership; they have limited understanding of the needs of their staff and it is not a priority to rectify the deficiency. This makes it difficult to help your employees become self-actualized. A large percentage of the leadership simply lack the EQ to perform this task or even understand it. There are some decent leaders, but not all employees may experience this, as the middling performers tend to be ignored rather than encouraged to improve. The bank prefers fealty (sycophants) over performance. You could work 60 hours a week or 30 hours a week and get the same rating, as employee performance measurement is more about ticking the box, than evaluating the employee or helping them grow. Similarly, the yearly leadership rating system, ESAT is not effective. If you are one of the chosen you could have multiple poor ESAT scores and live to underperform another year. Conversely if you are a good leader, but someone dislikes you, you are likely to be shunned. There is also no screening of new people managers, training courses can only help so much, when you do not offer the compensation to attract good talent. Do not expect HR to help the employee, they are there to do management’s bidding and bury it deep. The quality of the staff is quite disparate, those who have decent skills may get promoted, but it is more likely that they will be under appreciated and leave. This is largely a function of the leadership issues outlined above, but the performance rating also plays a role in this problem. The under performers are paid the same or more as the hard-working talent. - more...
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Poor management
Amazing support from Sr Director I worked for given a project work with open analytic question to solve. I guess it all boils down to who you work for rather than the whole organization.
Pros
relaxed environment, amazing support for work and thrive
Cons
limited opportunity during covid19 time
Has flexibility in work, with good work life balance, good employee benefits and banking offers. Fast paced work environment, room for growth and learning, good reward and recognition programs.
Good Work Culture. enjoyed working in different teams, Good Management support. Great flexible work envionment. Sometime I fill over stressed due to overwork. Over all loved working with CIBC
Pros
Flexible work envionment
For any full timers or manpower contingent workers avoid working at 305 Milner 5th floor Records client service. This specific lady who Is in charge of the team has no knowledge of anything and abuses manpower contingent workers to protect her favourites. Surprised that Cibc as a company has not taken any action to investigate on this lady and surprisingly the president and the director of the team have not notice anything as they are always working downtown. Any manpower contingent workers who get assigned to work for this team I suggest to avoid as there is no growth and no opportunity and this manager takes people’s credit and not give them anything in return.
Pros
Cons
Abusive manager
Just do your job. People around are good. Flexibility at work and place to grow. Pay rates are competitive. Good perks. Proximity to public transport etc etc.
Poor management, Politics, Stressfull, No Motivation, No Personal growth, No proper role assignment, No planning. Very unpleasant experience faced with people managers.
Run, Run and run. Don’t ever join this company. Full of politics and red tape. Culture is really bad and people are apparently friendly but full of back-stabber.
Pros
Big organization
Cons
Stressful job