CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews in Hamilton, ON

Poor leadership skills displayed by mid management. Little career advancement opportunities. Extremely bureaucratic and rigid. Sales takes precedence and nothing else matters, to the point of ruthless product pushing.
Lots of opportunity to grow Competitive good work and home life balance Recognition Great employee incentives Great hours Lots of locations Lots of opportunities
A typical day at work includes phone calls and meetings trying to create new business opportunities. Micro-management is the norm with weekly, sometimes dail emails pestering you for your sales numbers.
I believe CIBC to be overall a great company to work for, however I was located within the Network Operations department which was the most bizarre experience I've ever had in a workplace. To begin, I am a 33 year old autistic woman. I can be socially awkward, so i typically try to keep to myself so I don't accidentally say anything wrong. I am polite, just quiet. The staff in the lunch room during breaks would talk only about work during the ENTIRE break! I opted not to join in, mostly because that was my time to decompress before the next few hours of mind-numbing work to come. Staff began to gossip about me relentlessly as a result. I began having serious stomach problems that I believed was just anxiety from the social aspect I was failing at, but was later diagnosed Celiac Disease. I explained my absences when confronted about them and offered to get a doctors note or any other evidence they needed as to why I couldn't make it in on certain days (I was more or less tied to a toilet, and would not have made it to work without defecating. Upsetting situation to be in, I did not know how to handle it.) No chance to do-so, they just fired me. My manager was loud, rude, and did not care when I mentioned that I needed time to understand the processes due to my learning disability. Overall, an unfortunately horrible experience in what could have otherwise been a productive place.
I enjoyed working in the bank and will go back if need be. I still see CIBCas the best place to work and I dont regret working there for almost 4 years.
Pros
Always a free lunch espevially when Sri Rao was the branch zManager.
Cons
It was up to me. The hours are open to workers. If there are customers, i do long hours and i enjoyed it.
no communication between management. everyone I worked with on a regular basis was miserable. If a mistake is made its a witch hunt to see who did it instead of figuring out a constructive way to see it doesnt happen again. overall depressing workplace
I have worked at CIBC for a number of years. They offer great benefits and employee incentives. I have been very lucky to have several great managers within CIBC who were willing to help progress my career.
Pros
Excellent Benefit Package
Cons
Limited work hours
I enjoyed working for CIBC. It is a good employer to work for. Good management. Good and helpful coworkers. If you work part time there isn't many hours but you have an option to pick up shifts at other branches.
Pros
Friendly Management
Cons
Not a lot of hours
CIBC is one of the best Financial Institutions to work for. They insist on a positive work environment and give you plenty of opportunities to train you for advancement in your banking career.
I had great variety over my years of service as a Client Service Manager. Worked for fantastic General Managers and many different geographic locations as well as different segments of the bank. I specialized in leading a team of highly productive Sales Associates who worked directly for Financial Advisors. I gained great knowledge of the financial industry including wealth management and small business. The most rewarding part of my role was seeing my team grow and reach their full potential while driving business results. I recruited, coached, mentored and lead a variety of teams with great success. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the company restructured.
Pros
Fantastic People
Cons
Company Restructure
Enjoyed servicing customers and dealing with their banking needs. A great place to work and a good experience. I handled Bank deposits and withdrawls also U S transactions money orders and drafts Servicing customers was always enjoyable helping people was the nature of banking.
Pros
Clean work and good hours
Cons
Only part time
Not a bad place to work for your first job, I was 16 and the management was good and the hours were flexible. The co-workers were great people also
The compensation is terrible for what is expected. Annual bonuses for CSRs are a joke given the sales targets. Teller managers know less that the tellers in most cases and are typically lazy. Three of my teller managers would go out for at least 10 cigarette breaks per day, regardless of volume in branch or customer needs.
Pros
Nice co workers, decent hours and benefits
Cons
Everything else
- Great time working with amazing people and clients who I quickly gained a common ground with - Learned tact, and sales experience, how to deal with certain situations and be assertive with certain clients - Hardest part of the job is getting up to speed with the features of performing the role.. Matching what products would meet certain clients specifically, paying certain bills with certain funds, drawing up bank drafts, money transfers etc. - Most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with clients you build meaningful relationships with and seeing them benefit from products you recommend them
Pros
Great Co-workers, Fun environment to go into, Great client relationships
Cons
Little to no pay increase, Lack of incentives for sales roles, management is poor, pay doesn't increase substantially with roles
The most rewarding aspect was able to help customers to cater to their needs. Great Place to work Very good team work in the workplace
Customer service representatives accept deposits, sell bank instruments, foreign exchange transactions, cash cheques, or withdrawals. Refer new products to clients, for example better credit cards, or bank accounts that would benefit a client. Team player and mentor to new employees.
worked in vault with large cash deposits from business, took money orders over the phone, opened up night deposit bags and deposited it the business accounts, worked also as a bank teller
Working for CIBC is great. You Get to meet new new people everyday and your regular clients that become like family members. My co-workers are great and we are very close. I have learned to help our clients with their financial needs and assist them with products that would help aid their finances better to achieve their goals. The hardest part of my job is when I can't help someone due to personal circimstances the may have or even due to our our polices when you know they really need your help that's really hard. I enjoy the customer relations.
This company unfortunately falls short on its ability to provide a fair equitable workplace in some instances allowing employees to carry on without proper and fair compensation for jobs taken on as temporary assignment or temporary basis.