CIBC
CIBC Employee Review

A lot of changes

5 June 2017
The company is getting away from service and focussing mainly on sales. People are being laid off or are leaving in staggering numbers. People have decided to move to other FI's who are more focussed on client experience.
1.0Job security/advancement
26 November 2020
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) - Victoria, BC
Corp-speak is that CIBC no longer has managers, only leaders. However, leaders are notoriously rare; managers are ubiquitous. I had one leader in the years I worked there; all the rest were managers. Just one example of the difference. The leader to whom I referred would stop, no matter how busy he/she was to ask, and meant it, how are you doing? Can I help? Managers only stop to berate; leaders stop because they care.Hypocrisy. It is said that CIBC cares for its clients, deeply. However ‘caring’ only extends to how many $$ you are worth. For example, the time one must spend to help elderly people who are confused, persons who are angry or the time to input data about POAs and estates (and other such necessary work) is not countable in the numbers BECAUSE THEY DO NOT MAKE REVENUE. The longer a manager has been away from the computer-driven work-life being done by those they say they are leading, the further their knowledge deficit grows. Their narrowed knowledge then allows them to justify piling up workloads on the basis of alleged scientific metrics. And their bonuses and much higher wages encourage them as managers, not leaders.
Pros
benefits: once you retire, if you or your spouse get critically ill or die before retirement
Cons
Many managers, few leaders.
13 September 2020
Clerk (Former Employee) - Victoria, BC
Nice place to work at if you want an office type of job, but the management isn’t as good as how i expected them to be. Also, they dont give as much importance to employees who are hired thru agencies and kinda treat us as disposable, so this made me regret so much about my decisions of working for this company.
Pros
Free coffee/tea
Cons
Spontaneous extending of hours
22 June 2020
MORTGAGE ADVISOR (Current Employee) - Victoria, BC
Learned a lot about banking, finances, and corporate environment. Lots of training resources, but not as much coaching as there could be. I found that the high turnover of branch staff led to most of my job dissatisfaction. The fact that we were constantly training new hires, also meant that the higher level servicing tasks fell to the longest tenured employee. It was difficult to maintain sales excellence while also doing more than your fair share of non-revenue generating tasks. That said, I have been out of the branch environment for 4 years. I very much have enjoyed working in the Mobile Advice channel.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
high turnover and understaffing