CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 2,248 reviews matching the search See all 2,356 reviews
good learning experience and stepping stone to the banking world
CSR (customer service Representative) (Former Employee) –  North York, ON6 December 2018
Working as a Teller was great to learn the ins and outs of daily banking and gives you opportunities to learn and grow into the banking business. CIBC is heavily involved with the community, corporate culture is great. Management is fair. easiest part of the job is performing banking transactions, hardest part is dealing with difficult customers
Pros
lots of growth and development opportunities
Cons
sometimes not enough work hours
I had a variety of duties, and there were daily deadline.
Administrator Investor Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 November 2018
I would start with reviewing & disbursing the mail. I'd audit stock & debenture certificates to ensure they were registered in the correct names. I'd submit the account receivable & accounts payable entries for processing to our Toronto office. I'd help with the quarterly & annual mailing of our customers. I would reconcile accounts that were assigned to me.
Pros
I worked with a great staff
Cons
No job security
Overall Rating
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2018
CIBC Bank is one of the Financial institution that their employees are happy to work for. I spent 14 years working for CIBC in different areas in the bank and their management team are prepare to become managers and/or executives they attend extensive training so they are prepare for every situation they encounter. CIBC Bank is a company that is all for the employee we have the opportunity to take as many courses as we want we had a huge among of courses that we could have in the year.
We had as well a recognition program called the achievers and we had gift for all the participant; it was an amazing to be part of these teams.
All what i have for CIBC is gratitude and thankful to be part of such an amazing company.
sales sales sales
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  British Columbia29 October 2018
unfortunately has changed from service to sales job. too much internal pressure from bank to sell to Every customer, even in a small town where you see the same people every day. plus the digital banking change. Now my job is to sell you a credit card or a line of credit or a mortgage and also tell you that whatever you came in to do today could have been done at home or at the bank machine here let me show you and next time don't wait in line just dont come at all but still give us your money though .
Pros
working with money feeling profetional
Cons
sales sales sales to much pressure from boss to sell more not good enough ever.
tellers' wages - bonuses ....
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON25 October 2018
I've been part-time for almost 1.5yrs and was looking forward to receiving the annual incentive pay (for Visas sold, overdraft protection sold, referrals to FSR's, etc.) I've been excelling with these quotas. Turns out my position is "temporary part-time", so I'm not eligible. Doesn't look like the manager is going to change that either. High turn around rate here and Walmart pays more. I make $15.01 an hour, a lady who has been FT for 3 years makes 15.08 and starting wage at the local Walmart is 15.62.
Pros
the customers! and the people I work with.
Cons
wages, career progression/planning
Consistent banking work environment....
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
CIBC is on par with other financial institutions, in terms of work, culture and compensation. Being on the IT side of the company afforded a more lax work environment than the traditional banking departments. It is a great place to grow your career.
Pros
Lots of internal job postings, employee stock plan, good benefits, decent compensation, good HQ location, bonus
Cons
Monotonous work, downfalls of big corporate structure/company
It was a great chapter
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2018
Working in the branch was the best part of working with the company. I enjoyed having a team, and I was well respected within that team. I took pride in my day to day activities and I loved dealing with client issues head on. CIBC was good at giving me the freedom to do what I needed to for our clients.
Politics of the company and the direction the company is going however, makes me glad I am no longer with them.
Very good workplace
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON18 October 2018
One of the largest bank in Canada. As a financial service representative, I used to receive calls from existing clients and assist them with their concerns. Also, based on their current financial situation, I offered and discussed better options.
Work environment is very friendly and provided new learning and training sessions time to time to sharpen my skills.
Financial Services Representative
Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2018
I would say I've learnt a lot working for CIBC and I've worked with some fantastic people but the overall experience for working for this bank would be something I would want to progress from. The retail management and sales culture is not encouraging and I feel like the amount of work that is put in for this position really does not justify the salary that is paid. I've come from previous positions in management and I can't imagine becoming a manager with this bank.
Pros
Colleagues & clients
Cons
Too many things to do, mentally exhausting, too fouces on sales
desk job
Fraud Loss Prevention Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
during my days at CIBC i remember that the management was helpful and supportive. We had training for any programs that were rolled out. The downside to this job was the rotating shifts and the long hours on the phone with disgruntled customers, because they couldn't use their card or that there was charges on their account.
Pros
decent benefits and pension
Cons
rotating shifts and long hours on the phone.
Work is fun and dynamic
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 September 2018
Working for CIBC has been a real pleasure. The work I did was dynamic, and I learned a great deal about retail banking, all retail credit products including mortgages, I learned retail banking industry laws and regulations.

The work place culture was great, we had competitions, challenges, food, drinks, and end-of-year dinner, and fun activities outside of work.

The hardest part I would say would be working in a fast paced environment, although you get used to that quite quickly.

The fun part in my day-to-day would be my colleagues, they were young, interesting, helpful, candid, and from all backgrounds.
Pros
Benefits, work environment, fun activities
Cons
Weekend Shifts
work 80 + hours and beyond market hours
Global Markets Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto10 September 2018
Amazing Team - great culture but couldn't escape the typical capital markets culture that I am not a big fan of. However, I learned a lot - especially how to perform under pressure. Just not for me though, I know many people DREAM to be on the trading floor, but the culture wasn't for me. Juniors wouldn't get access to meaningful work, often times just doing the grunt work.
Pros
Pay is good in Capital Markets
Career potential
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 September 2018
Great culture, benefits, and team orientation. High paced sales environment though, and only the strong will survive. Weekly targets are high and strict, and coupled the admin duties it will be stresstul to hit them. The wage is low, but you are working for a career, not a high salary at lower levels. The work required to advance will leave you stressed and tired.
Pros
Benefits, culture, hours
Cons
High sales targets, lots of asks
Depends what LOB you work in
Applications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
Some groups are more fast paced, leading edge, some more focused on BAU work. Overall the culture is great and there is a positive outlook. Advancement is largely based on how ambitious and persistent you are but also based on the typical industry factors. You can hide behind your desk for years or get really involved in new and interesting stuff. IF you are aligned with the industry, great place to be.
Enjoyed the job role
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
The best part of my job was serving the clients and helping them with their banking needs. Sadly the branch I worked got new management who did not support the rest of the employee. They cut hours so badly that we had to work under pressure in busy times. There was no formal training provided for new employee.
Pros
Free Banking
Cons
Low Pay and high pressure
Adminstrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2018
Answer Client calls whom are asking about their accounts, also prepares cheque requests for clients, and enter stock or option orders for clients.
Update daily merger & Acquisition reports
Meet with clients coming in for any particular reason which does not require seeing the boss.
Pros
learned a lot about the industry
Cons
required to work holidays, low pay
Great environment to work in and to acquire new knowledge
LEVEL 4 CO-OP TEST ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2018
Provided me with a lot of insight about CIBC and what the company is about. I was able to learn a lot about the technology team and what they provide to CIBC as a whole. Glad I was able to be apart, even if it was a small part. Great opportunity working in such an open, respectful and fun evironment. Great people to work with as well.
Decent place to work
Mortgage processing officer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 August 2018
People were pretty friendly but I felt it was a bit difficult to advance there. I was nice that there were different cultures and background of people so it made it interesting. Work hours and life were pretty flexible at first but they eventually got stricter and was not lenient after my last year there at CIBC. If you like banking and sitting at a desk all day it is a decent place to work otherwise I don't really recommend this place to everyone.
Pros
pretty good benefits
Cons
People you work with can be miserable
Stepping stone for opportunities in other bank
Sr Manager Finance (Former Employee) –  Toronto15 August 2018
There are lots of nice people to work with in the group. However, not everyone is qualified to do the job, as CIBC is not able to attract the best talents when offering the below-industry-standard pay. On the flip side it will be easier to shine among the team if you are smart and hard-working individual .

Outsourcing initiative causes lots of problem: losing job and experience; Accenture is not performing as it should and cause many accounting errors; retained employee need to cover Accenture's mess in addition to their own assigned work.
Pros
Lot of good people to work with
Cons
high turnover, outsourcing, not competitive pay
Productive environment with strong leadership
Sr. Business Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada1 December 2018
Clear vision with supportive leadership. They valued productive effort vs. time clocked in daily and was proactive with feedback and willing to invest in career development. Senior leadership was extremely supportive of department strategy and rewarded good performance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CIBC. Our community is ready to answer.