Chucks Roadhouse Bar and Grill

Canada178 reviews

Clear
2.4Pay & benefits

It was okay

I worked here for a little over a month, it wasn’t enough money for me personally might be a good job for some servers that are just starting out/ can balance another job with this one

comfortable, stable and lots of opportunity's

Chucks Road house in Belleville Ontario was a good place to work. Management is Honest and easy to talk to. The General manager is good at running the restaurant, understands the mechanics of the hospitality field and offers opportunity's to learn and advance. The kitchen staff (BOH), are friendly, willing to answer questions and a great team to work. Servers, bartenders and hosting staff are great with customers and work well with all parts of the restaurant as a whole.

Pros

staff meals, discount, accommodating, benefits

Cons

busy sometimes, night/day shifts

Insights into Chucks Roadhouse Bar and Grill

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

No comment

Don't work there .. they pay minimum wage to work your butt off in a very busy and fast paced enviornment .. nothing else to say but don't apply there

stressful and harsh working environment

Stressful and critical working environment with poor staff management. No breaks given other than smoke breaks no matter how long your shift is. No real job descriptions or boundaries.

Pros

free soda while working

Poorly Managed

Don’t start your first kitchen job here, it will ruin kitchens for you. This is not real cooking and other restaurants are a lot better to work for especially privately owned ones. Only Franchise kitchens like this one have one closer, which is a lot of work for one person. It’s manageable but you burn out pretty fast. This location doesn’t do cash tip outs which is unheard of in the restaurant industry. You end up working 10x harder for your earned tips when you’re not getting them based off a dollar an hour. 10 hours equals 10 dollars in tips (added to your pay check which is taxed) mean while other places you can get more based on your performance and you get to keep 100% of the earnings.

Cons

No Cash Tip out, No Discount on meals ever

You’ll make more money and hours elsewhere.

No management, hours are only for the bartenders first even if you have full time availability. I made more money elsewhere. No team work involved. Everyone talks about eachother and never resolves situations face to face... the Owners take our tip out, and honestly this place is not worth your time !!! No free lunches, no breaks, no benefits either.

Pros

Cons

No breaks, no free food or discounted food, no hours given

Nice place for workers

Nice place to work owners are very kind co workers/management team are so flexible uniforms are free for workers very kind of the people who were work there

fun work place

it was a fast paced job and took me a while to get used too but after a few weeks i learned everything and it wasnt bad, i also got plenty of hours and the food isnt bad at all

Minimum wage maximum rage

They pile more and more of a workload onto you and expect the extra work to be completed within the same time frame of your original shift. They like to pay minimum wage and they dislike giving raises. Management are often clueless and the store is run more by the employees than the management team.

Alright place

In early summer 2019 I worked as a dishwasher. The kitchen staff were great people I enjoyed speaking to but unfortunately there was a lot of disorganization and eventually some people I liked were let go or they left. The ones making salary were abused for their time and worked unimaginably long shifts, I really felt badly for them. When I first arrived everyone was so relieved because the dish area was always a mess and always full. Servers and bar staff had to stop and do dishes. I was so appreciated and felt great! But that faded and as we lost some good cooks the whole atmosphere changed negatively. The summer months were extremely hot and there is not ventilation through the dish pit. Also they want you to spray dishes with boiling hot water even though it goes through the dishwasher after... I would turn it down do it was just warm but a manager would come along and turn it back to boiling hot. "Well just put it in the dishwasher." I would tell people many times you have to rinse the dishes because they'll just come out full of salsa and whatever else food. Anyway that was my experience not sure how it is now.

Not great

Busy atmosphere. Lots of little jobs expected of servers at minimum wage... (ie, dishes) Bartender is the only person allowed to make/pour alcoholic drinks. They also take tables so sometimes they are busy and it takes 10+ minutes to get drinks for tables. Chuck's shirts are required 'uniforms' but aren't provided, you have to pay $22 for them. Food is not great quality, everything on menu is cheap so it draws in a cheaper crowd of people who usually don't tip well.

It's alright

Most of the employees there are great people, trying to make a living and they care a good amount about their jobs. The kitchen staff in particular are great. However, it's difficult for me to get consistent hours, and changes in owners and management have left things confusing, at best. They also don't give discounts on food to staff, becayse corporate says it's already cheap enough.

Avoid this place at any cost

When I first started, I was receiving praise all over the place, I was told by the owner "as long as you keep doing what your doing, you'll be here for a long time". I loved it there, I thought the people were super nice, that I felt appreciated, and the work, while exhausting, was rewarding and a good test of my skill. Then 3 weeks later they decide to fire me, saying I "wasn't urgent enough, and didn't communicate." However It was unbeknownst to me that I was lacking in any area because no one gave me any feed back. In short, the only thing I learned at Chuck's is that nobody will tell you anything to your face, but will be more than happy to rat you out behind your back. Looking back, I was the only person that was happy to be there, all of my co-workers were all a bunch of miserable people that hated their lives. The manager was a nice relaxed person who seemed to treat us like human beings, he was probably the best part of the job. The owner on the other hand, stood at the door and always is looking at his cellphone or the sports game playing on the TV instead of doing any work. In short, the people here are terrible (besides the manager), the actual work is OK, and the atmosphere is just miserable, and they do not tell you how to improve yourself so you can keep the job and pay your bills, do not go to any location this franchise has.

Good co-workers but very difficult work

I currently work here as a dishwasher which is very hard work but the managers and my co-workers are very nice people which makes the job a lot more manageable.

Pros

free drinks

Cons

long hours, no discount on food

Line Cook

The first night i worked here i closed by myself. I was then offered a promotion, i would take on responsibilities now and get a pay increase for it once my probation was over because of "technicalities" when it came time for my raise to come, they didn't honor their end. so I left. they take advantage of people with promises of higher pay and promotions without actually executing. The horribly stupid lady who owned the place when i worked there, doesn't own the place so Its probably different.

Terrible management

Overworked and underpaid at this job. Management “ forgets” to tell you when they’re taking advantage of you. Terrible communication, as a whole. They also illegally take off 30 minutes of your time from each shift on every pay ( no you’re not given a break). This place really just wants to save money to put more in their pocket when it comes to short staffing. Menu is low end food. Only thing good about this place is the cheap drinks but because of it you make nothing in tips

Worst job experience ever

Management is so unorganized and don’t care about work/life balance. Constantly understaffed and high turn over(for good reason). Low menu prices = low tips.. 3% fee doesn’t help.

great people to work with

the people at chucks are great to work with. the management works really hard and so do the staff. the timing of food and drinks to the table is amazing.

great, fun place to work

I honestly had a great time. I loved working with my managers, they were super friendly and helped me to excel at my job. I learned new tips and tricks when it comes to a kitchen that will further my career.

Pros

Flexibility Friendly Time Flys

Cons

Nothing Free

hate this place

don't work here. save yourself the mental breakdowns. during my SHORT shifts I want to go into the freezer to cry. nasty. get cut before 3 hours which is illegal. got 5.5 hours last week.

Hectic environment

With products sold at such a low price the management really focus on saving money anywhere they can. It can make for a hectic environment but its still fun and good money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chucks Roadhouse Bar and Grill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement