CHRISTIAN HORIZONS Employee Reviews

Inconsistent Work Environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
Depending on the home you are in, you will have incredibly varying experiences. The management do not have a consistent standard or style they are held to; they can navigate as they see fit.
enjoyable and educational place to work
Disablility Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Welland ON8 April 2018
I enjoy a job that I can thrive in. Christian Horizons has provided this for me. It has challenged me as a person and educated me in areas that I needed in order to fulfill the job requirements.
Challenging, always something different each shift.
DSW (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 February 2018
Challenging and rewarding, never the same repetitive tasks. Flexibility for shifts for the most part, usually extra shifts to pick up. Good staffing, good training opportunities.
Work place environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2018
My team was amazing, we were lead by the best program manager any of us could ask for. I miss the impact we made on the individuals we supported as well as the support from the awesome group of full time and on call workers that were present in the home.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
work politics with management outside of direct team members
good place
Personal Support Worker Placement (Former Employee) –  Utopia, ON7 February 2018
Great place too work as well as put your loved ones into. As a Personal Support worker I have never learnt as much as I have have working in this facility.
Healthy work environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON5 February 2018
I worked at Christian Horizons a few years back. The pay is at par. The hours were flexible which made it easy to have a healthy work/home life balance. The work environment at the residence I was at was comfortable and the team always had the individuals best interest at heart. Not much support from management with regards to problem solving though. The individuals Christian Horizons support are what made my job worth it. I truly felt lucky to support such wonderful people and learned a lot from them which has helped me grow myself.
Pros
Diverse work environment
Cons
No support from management
Touched lives
Child and Youth Worker-CNA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
I had an opportunity to touch lives of children with autism as a child and youth worker night sleep shift. This job was great for me as a student and I managed to make a difference in the lives of many children.
great place to work
Developmental Disability Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2018
great place to work. their workers are dedicated to their duties. they are concerned about the well-being of their residents. they are always ready to teach the students that do their placement there.
Great Company to work for
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
I get 17.08 an hour as a relief worker. I work in a couple different homes and the staff we work with are great! I have been working with the organization for two years and I am also able to hold another part-time job while working with them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
inconsistant hours
good starting job
Developmental Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 December 2017
individuals are great to work with over all the company is good but not a lot of room for growth locally. pay scale is not great and takes a very long time to get full time.
Pros
free meals, ability to plan outings
Cons
poor management, poor staffing, long hours
great place to work
Developmental Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON15 November 2017
The team is a great group of people, the atmosphere is really good, The training is top notch. Very diverse in the people that are hired to work there which makes the place very inviting.
Pros
training
Enjoyable
DSW relief facilitator (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON11 November 2017
Runs very smoothly.
On a schedule.

I really love how it is very person-centred, How everyone gets to make choices and decisions and the staff does not make all the choices for the individuals.
Pros
Person Centred
Love working with people with special needs
DSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2017
Long hours pay is not bad but it's hard to work with people who don not have the same version as you do
Love going into work, the smile on the face of the woman and men who are always looking forward to seeing you in priceless..
a day at christian horizons
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 September 2017
it is overseeing four people with challenges that they are fed, house is clean and they are taken to appointments and activities that they request to be taken to.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
a days work can be long working by yourself
Helping people be the best they can be.
Developmental Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 August 2017
A typical day would be ensuring Client's are successful in all areas of life, each day. I learned to give and be given to. Management are efficient and take care of their employees. It's an environment where people treat others like family and show great care. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some challenging behaviour and preventing crisis. The most enjoyable part of this job was the family like working environment.
Support unique individuals
Developmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2017
The work is good, though at times the lack of recognition and understanding from upper management can be disheartening. Flexible hours and flexibility in taking time off is good.
Fun but hard work
Special Needs Vacation Services Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ON28 June 2017
I only did temporary jobs at camps. The work is fun but hard. This type of job is only for those sorts of people who enjoy challenging work for low pay.
This agency provides quality service to individuals diagnosed with developmental challenges.
Developmental Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 June 2017
I enjoy my work at Christian Horizons. We consistently keep the quality of Life of the individuals we support at very high levels.
Although sometimes challenging, I find working for CH very rewarding.
Exciting and dynamic workplace
Developmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
Staff at Christian Horizons can expect to interact with wonderful children and adults living with developmental disabilities. Christian Horizons offers respite and residential services, as well as vocational training and volunteer opportunities. Care is person-centered and staff are actively involved in implementing behaviour plans and encouraging ongoing growth for residents. Christian Horizons offers ongoing training and holds their quality of service to a high degree.