Christian Horizons (CA)

Christian Horizons (CA) Employee Reviews for Developmental Service Worker

Developmental Service Worker11 reviews
Canada11 reviews
The team is a great group of people, the atmosphere is really good, The training is top notch. Very diverse in the people that are hired to work there which makes the place very inviting.
Pros
training
Cons
Very structured company. It takes over 4 months to be hired. They pay is low compared to most agencies but they have a lot of benefits. Job can be stressful
gained alot of experience while being here regarding all aspects of support persons with special needs. I enjoyed working there. Was always nice walking in the door being greeted with smiles.
The work is good, though at times the lack of recognition and understanding from upper management can be disheartening. Flexible hours and flexibility in taking time off is good.
Staff at Christian Horizons can expect to interact with wonderful children and adults living with developmental disabilities. Christian Horizons offers respite and residential services, as well as vocational training and volunteer opportunities. Care is person-centered and staff are actively involved in implementing behaviour plans and encouraging ongoing growth for residents. Christian Horizons offers ongoing training and holds their quality of service to a high degree.
I did my placement, and I learnt a lot while I was there. This is a good place to work. People are friendly, respectful and the client are well taken care of.
Christian Horizon staff makes it a fun place to go during the day, they go to a different variety of activities through out the town. The staff involves the members in their personal lives, which I believe makes them feel more involved in the community. The co-workers encourage you to ask questions, no matter what the question is, helping to learn for the future in the field as a DSW . It was a great place for my last placement before graduating.
Pros
only work week days
Cons
lots of driving
Get clients up, bathed and dressed, Prepare nutritious meals. Plan outings or take them to appointments, do Laundry, Provide games to stimulate their minds. Give medications at appropriate times. Document MARS. Document Support Notes and Communication book.

I learned about seizures and protocols for behaviour.

I worked with great team members and used time management daily.

The hardest part was watching a resident have a seizure and comforting him through it.

The most enjoyable part was having all the residents respond to their achievements.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not full-time hours.
This was the worse experience working in the field.
Staff was rude to individuals supported.

Pushed religion on the individuals
Pros
counted for field placement
Cons
no structure, mean employees, care free management
CH has been a great first job for me. I have learned a lot of skills and learned how to love and do a job that I was unsure of.
Management depends on the group home that you work at. My manager is too much of a people pleaser. This leads to unresolved conflict in the workplace and a high turnover rate at the house that I am at.

I love the group home I work at because I get to hang out with people with development differences and learn from them. Despite what we may think are limitations being a support worker is a very humbling job and one that most people could benefit from.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Christian Horizons (CA)?
A typical day at work would include, assisting the clients with their morning hygiene and preparing breakfast. I would then proceed to the days duties such as doctor appointments or activities. I enjoyed my job because of the fulfulling feeling of assisting individuals to achieve a higher quality of life. Also, I enjoyed working with a great team of co-workes that made the work place a very easy environment to work in. I really enjoyed to see the progress in the clients I assisted and how they would become excited about life.
Pros
a lot of outdoor/community involvement
Cons
being short staff alot.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christian Horizons (CA). Our community is ready to answer.