Christian Horizons (CA) Employee Reviews

Individuals and staff are great to work with
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Ontario20 March 2019
Enjoy my time at Christian Horizons. Very respectful workplace atmosphere, everyone works together to promote harmony, and there are always hours to fill.
Pros
outings
Cons
Been with CH for 16 years, it used to be a great company to work for...
DSP (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON5 January 2019
To the point
1. If your contract, your roles and expectations are not reflected in your salary. There has been no real raise in 9 years. While DSP work very hard frontline and care about what they do, they are constantly getting burnt out due to shortages and unrealistic work demands being piled sky high, which equates to less one on one with the people we support. It also means that it's very difficult to get your vacation time and since they consider you essential needs if they can't cover you, then you don't get your vacation.
2. Work culture used to be fun. Now the majority of DSP are angry, bitter, feel unheard and powerless to create positive change.
3. Our benefits have taken a MAJOR hit unless your in a contract of over 35hr.
4. Management is NOT forthcoming and withhold information that can often put people at risk.
5. While some managers strive to do the best they can, not all are easy to work with and some are flat out bullys.
6. Very stressful and the job politics are the worst.

7. Positive: the people you will meet and support will make you grow and become a better human being.
8. As much as your teaching them, their teaching you.
9. You will learn some great life skills that transfer over to everyday life.
10. Fast paced work environment that is always changing.
Pros
The people we support 💗
Cons
Salary is too low and there is way too much paperwork.
Supportive work enviornment.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 December 2018
CH had a great work culture and team atmosphere. Working as a part of a team was always encouraged by management.

Loved the job but had to relocate to PEI.
Pros
Great Learning Opportunites
Great Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waldheim, SK26 November 2018
Christian Horizons provides a culture in which your giftings and abilities are valued. They love to promote from within and truly believe in the potential that each person holds.
It's the steady middle.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 November 2018
There seems to be a major gap in the Developmental Services Sector. If you do your job properly and advocate, you begin experiencing difficulty moving your career forward. The management seem to grow tired of hearing positive criticism and feedback. There is a massive rift between employees and management, and management and upper management; Information is not passed on. Advancing one's career can be difficult in this company, leading many employees and colleagues to seek other companies to excel in. People in positions of admin are not doing market research. For example they have not heard of HOOP as a health care pension.
Pros
Decent Pay, Benefits
Cons
Politics, Gossip, No Pension (HOOP)
fun place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
A good place to work with wonderful colleagues.Lots of manual work to do but could be fun if you like helping exceptional individuals.They provide ongoing training and assessment
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lonely nights
Good Place to Work
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2018
The environment, clients and staff are all very nice to work with. Great place to start off and learn about working with individuals that have developmental disabilities.
Pros
Clients and Staff
This is all there is
DSW Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto ontario12 August 2018
I have worked for this organization many many years. At one time I would say the organization is very good for allowing staff flexibility and accommodation for home life.
Then comes a time where you ask yourself if this is all there is? In each home there are ways to grow. There are opportunities to work in different homes and learn different skills but there is no motivation to excel in your job because the pay will always be the same as others.
Pros
realize you are there only for the people supported and fellow team members
Cons
lack of transparency and honesty from management.
Support Worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON9 August 2018
Fantastic learning experience, enjoyed working with the clientele, grew experience with each day and enjoyed working along side the experienced staff members
BBQ events in the summer. Vacation for residents, and Going to mall with Residents
Escort residents to day program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2018
Christian Horizon is a good place to work. It is a place to work if you want flexible hours. I was able to start and finish my Bachelor In Guelph- Humber university while taking some shifts. It was possible because the team is good and the understanding of the manager was great. I learnt to work as a team and learn better at work from other staff. the hardest part of the job is when a resident attacks a staff but the good thing is that we all have CPI training and then there is always another staff around for support.
Pros
We have opportunity to cook and eat with residents
Cons
Puctuality is very important.
Working here has really been the best.
Social Service Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  155 Deerhides19 July 2018
Working here has shown me how to work with people living with disabilities, they have inspired me in so many ways.

This is the best place to work.
Great work/life balance, awesome co-workers, innovative culture
good working environment
SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 June 2018
A nice Company with a befitting benefit. I loved working at christian horizons for it serves both the individual and staff a equal opportunity to grow in knowledge and encouraging room of going to school and still working with their support package
fun
Residential Counselor - Prime (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2018
great place to work with great managers. Reliable hours for full time staff, but not reliable hours for casual staff. Unless you are offered a contract, I would not recommend working here.
Excellent place to work
Developmental Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON24 May 2018
A normal day in a group home involves providing support in all areas of life for approximately 5 or 6 people, on average, with developmental disabilities who live in a group home.
Contract staff are required to perform a Self Managed Work Team Role which may include Support Coordinator, Finance Coordinator, Scheduling Coordinator, or Property Coordinator.
Pros
Great working environment, good teams, professionally as challenging as you want it to be
Cons
Sometimes have to deal with aggitated people. Some staff are not team players
new rewarding challenges
Director Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 May 2018
Learning each day and being able to handle each challenges as they come daily. Watching each person grow and fulfill their goals and dream and also helping them to achieve their God's given talent.
Inconsistent Work Environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
Depending on the home you are in, you will have incredibly varying experiences. The management do not have a consistent standard or style they are held to; they can navigate as they see fit.
enjoyable and educational place to work
Disablility Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Welland ON8 April 2018
I enjoy a job that I can thrive in. Christian Horizons has provided this for me. It has challenged me as a person and educated me in areas that I needed in order to fulfill the job requirements.
good place to work
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON21 March 2018
gained alot of experience while being here regarding all aspects of support persons with special needs. I enjoyed working there. Was always nice walking in the door being greeted with smiles.
rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2018
Christian Horizons is a company that serves people in residential home environments can be a group home style or independent living

Christian Horizons grants many opportunities to make a difference in peoples lives those whom are supported those whom you serve with and those whom you work under

I have been privileged to work in four of Christian Horizons districts within Ontario that made a difference in my life
Pros
continued learning opportunities
Cons
seven days a week twenty four hours a day three hundred sixty five days a year
Challenging, always something different each shift.
DSW (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 February 2018
Challenging and rewarding, never the same repetitive tasks. Flexibility for shifts for the most part, usually extra shifts to pick up. Good staffing, good training opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christian Horizons (CA). Our community is ready to answer.

4.2