Christian Horizons (CA)

Christian Horizons (CA) Employee Reviews

Canada219 reviews

christiandevelopmentalsupportedbehaviourindividualdisabilitysupportorganization

Great place to work at

Great place to work at. Management is quite open and present even when pretty busy. Direct Support Professional are valued but the pay could be higher. Highly recommendable place to work.

Clients were wonderful to work with.

If you are looking for full time with this company, don't bother applying. There will never be full time. The shifts are not standard so you could be working from 4 to 9 hours. In order to get anywhere near full time hours, you would need to work 6-7 days a week.

Insights into Christian Horizons (CA)

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Psw job not really a Dsw job

Former employee for 5 years and at first it was fun but over covid and shortages we were like robots. Supervisor only there 2 or 3 days a week and the group is left to run it. Supervisor wines about coming in when no staff which is really not our problem. All about money and some of the individuals dont get to go out to often. This job is really a psw job not for a dsw. Yet the psws get paid more then the dsws. On the job board they tell you they prefer a dsw. Why i have no idea. Plus pastors, ministers working there get paid more as well. It is suppose to be all about the faith yet the individuals dont get out to church, sunday school, pray nothing like that. So sad. They dont even award the staff for working there and you end up burnt from all the hours worked. The program manager is a winner.

Pros

Nothing free there

Cons

8 to 12 hours

There's a Reason I've Stayed for Decades

Christian Horizons is a large, professionally run, compassionate organization that seeks to see people experience belonging in their communities. I have served in seven different positions, and I can attest to meaningful, challenging work and supportive colleagues. Advancement is possible for those who take advantage of leadership development opportunities. Every organization has been challenged during the pandemic, but Christian Horizons employees have demonstrated incredible resilience, creativity and dedication.

Pros

Meaningful, interesting work with incredible people.

Productive and Meaningful

Residents are wonderful. Managers can be dismissive of staff questions and ideas. Speaks to staff in abrupt manner making environment uneasy and toxic.

Pros

Residents are wonderful

Cons

Managers do not listen to staff

Amazing place to work

This company provides person centred care. Supports to staff and training. Stands by their mission and values! Lots of hours and work opportunities for staff.

Amazing people to work for.

I was very happy at Christian Horizons. My house manager was caring, intelligent, and very organized. The people in the group home are amazing people. I had to leave because I moved and I'm so sad to have left this company. I worked 13 years with them .

Pros

Amazing clients

Meaningful Work and Supportive Team

I absolutely love my job at Christian Horizons and would recommend working here to anyone who has a passion for supporting people with disabilities to live their best lives. Very respectful and supportive working environment!

Meaningful work

Make a difference in peoples life everyday. They are always happy to see you. Creating a great work team environment. Very rewarding work. Helping people in there home to feel like there home.

Pros

Smiles from the people supported

Cons

Can get busy

Love the people supported and management is amazing

Can be stressful at times as can any job. Overall amazing work atmosphere. If you’re on a flex contract the hours aren’t amazing but you’ll be called in

Pros

Lovely clients, good hours, good pay

Cons

Great place to work and rewarding career in what you do for people supported.

Great place to work and rewarding career in what you do for people supported. Staff are generally friendly and kind. My experience with management in London was great; went above and beyond and was always helpful patient and understanding. Formed friendships with some of the staff. I personally didn't like all the administrative and paperwork but that's just me.

Rewarding place to work

They have many homes to work for in my area. Most homes will be vastly different and is dependent on the clients needs. You may work in a faster pace environment with more staff due to behavioral clients or you can work by yourself due to independent clients. Both have their pros and cons. It is definitely a rewarding and fun position as you continue to bond with your clients. It only gets easier as you learn and create a solid rapport with the clients.

Fun workplace

Its a fun and productive workplace. They provide training such as CPI/TLR and the like. There’s lots of room for growth and advancement. Management is supportive as well.

Horrible place to work.

This company is very top heavy with useless management. Staff are put into situations sometimes with very violent residents, with no support from management Management should be made to make changes ( not over see the same homes for 20-30 years ) This job has left many people with PTSD. Not recommended to work here!

Pros

Rewarding helping others.

Cons

Long stressful days /nights

Not great

The environment was not ideal to say the least. It truly was not the most enjoyable but it wasn’t so bad. It was okay. But not great. Didn’t love it.

Nice people, nice work but low pay

It is a pretty nice place to work. People are friendly and willing to help you. Not very good pay sadly. It is a faith-based organization, so unfortunately, it would be hard to advance your career if you don't have a reference from a Pastor.

Pros

Nice environemnt

Cons

Low pay

Excellent place to work

This job gives you the opportunity to zone in on many different skills: if you're a team player, willing to put others first, and have a carrying heart, this is the place to be!

Pros

People supported

Cons

Not enough people applying

Good company, challenging but rewarding field

Good benefits package for Full Time contract employees. Ample vacation accruals and sick time accruals. Management approachable. Focus is on the people supported living with disabilities and how they relate with family, the community and the world. Fun to 'go along for the ride' to see how persons living with disabilities experience Life. Work as often or as little as you like. Good pay for the amount of 'office work' required.

Pros

flexible schedule or call in only

Cons

benefits package not great until you advance to full time contract

Worse place to work

This company treats you like your just a number unless you’re doing something for them. They hold personal family situations against advancing within the company. Management are “ christians” but definitely not practicing ones. They only care about the audits and budgets

Pros

Supported individuals

Terrible

Not a Christian company at all. Management was terrible overall. I had some good supervisors and the people I cared for were awesome. The company has become very new age

Pros

Good pay, great individuals

Cons

Terrible management. Toxic work environment in some homes.

Meaningful work in a collaborative working environment. Excellent training.

Great place to work. Compassion care culture Supportive collaborative working environment.. Great client to staff ratios. Meaningful work with individuals living with developmental challenges. Ongoing training for staff.Good benefit package

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christian Horizons (CA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Christian Horizons (CA) with

• Christian Horizons (CA)