Chop Employee Reviews

Warning
Sever (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2019
Back of house kitchen can't keep up to standards of modern restaurants of this caliber.
BOH Management needs improvement
Stubborn management with quick to blame mentality
No benefits for servers.
The keg does if you are full time making loyal employees
Supervisors get minimum wage plus tip out.
Shouldn't be coming from other employees tip out.
Should be coming from the bottom line.
Pros
Money
food is good..poor management
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2018
long work hours with no breaks at all..long hours you cannot go home on your cut time hours.Lots of stuff to clean ..Lots of work and stress for minimum wage
Pros
decent tips
Cons
long hours, poor management
Very fast paced and physical demanding jobs
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 November 2018
Fun to work at and decent pay, only problems is conflicting management issues between corporate officers and the restaurant chefs. Very confusing workplace, management sometimes can be very harsh to rank and file workers.
could improve
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2018
the culture was awesome and the best part of the entire experience but the management was lacking they were constantly running around with their 'heads cut off' and screwing the staff out of tips and we were consistently understaffed throughout the period of time that I spent with them. From what I've heard they have improved significantly since last I heard from former coworkers.
Pros
half off meals, the welcoming kitchen staff
Cons
poor management, minimal hours available, understaffed
Best job I’ve ever had.
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
The culture at chop is incredible no cattiness or cliques such a tight knit family and management truly cares about their employees. I would reccomend working at chop Barlow to anyone and everyone.
Amazing food but terrible work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
It’s very unfortunate because although the food at this place is amazing, I cannot say the same about the work environment. Anyone who wants to serve here should know what they are getting themselves into as I can list so many things... don’t expect to make any money because several nights you will walk out with no tables at all, sections are awful, they overstaff almost every night, and even when you have a lucky night where they give you more than two tables, more than half of your tips will go to the kitchen and selfish management, who can’t even spare 20 dollars out of their 700 dollar tip out bags to the food runners Who work harder than any position at the restaurant. Pretty much every shift you will be cleaning the back for longer than you will be serving tables. Not to mention the fact you will get sick because they expect you to clean buckets of dirty cutlery, dishes and glassware. Save yourself the time, pretty much any restaurant is better.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Everything else
Feet constantly hurt
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2018
Good overall work atmosphere. Management is OK. Staff is ok.

The short skirts and high heels as a requirement was always a little offsetting. There were times when I recall some female dining room servers being told that they couldn't work in the lounge because they didn't meet the physical appearance requirements, (weight, skin tone, height, hair, make up). Food was good. Drinks were good.
Pros
Bottles of wine at cost
Cons
High heels
Fun workplace with great people to work with
Hostess (Current Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB14 August 2018
A typical day at work consists of a fun energetic attitude amongst management as well as my coworkers. Hardest part of my job is not getting enough hours which therefore doesn't supply me with sufficient income.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Short hours
Very Unprofessional Company
None (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
They don't seem to understand how to employ people. Came in for an interview where they said I would start work the following week. Called multiple times to see what time I would be starting, with no answer. Finally got there to be told "there must have been a misunderstanding" and that they would call me when I would come in. All this after taking my personal information, assuring me I was hired, and me cancelling other interviews.

Even if they called me back now, I think I'd much rather work with a more professional management.
fun workplace
Busboy (Current Employee) –  Meadowvale Village, ON22 June 2018
chop steakhouse is a fun place to work with everyone being very nice and open. At chop Steakhouse, the energy in the restaurant is very enjoyable and fun to be around.
Pros
good hours
Cons
sometimes have to stay longer then usual
Slow restaurant with alright food and alright management. Fantastic guest service and experience!
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
Every day is a gamble when coming into a shift, no one knows if it is going to be worth it to go in as business has declined drastically in the past few months. You could be there for a half an hour, or three hours with no tables.
Great opportunity for advancement
Hostess / Service Quality Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2018
I enjoyed the work culture, training and opportunities for advancement within the company. I have acquired skills and leadership qualities from my training at Chop that I continue to practice and strengthen.
Pros
great leadership training
Cons
employee retention, understaffed at times
Great learning experience I will cherish
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
A typical day at work for me would be seating and greeting customers. Preferably working at a fast to medium pace to pass the time. Connecting and insuring all customers are satisfied with their meal and services. Ive learned to always put yourself in customers shoes when they come in with any kind of complaint. Try to understand and solve the issue to the most of my abilities. Customers always COME first. The most enjoyable part of hosting is the interacting with different people. A happy customer always makes me feel great. Its my reassurance that my job has been done correctly.
Pros
Flexible hours, great staff and management
Cons
Long hours at times
very organized
Prep cook/ Linecook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2018
I enjoyed working at Chopsteakhouse and I have gained a lot of experience working here. It was a very organized kitchen and everyone there was professional.
Fun workplace with high chances of advancement.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB20 February 2018
Been working at the west end location for just over three years. The work is hard, but rewarding. The staff makes it not feel like work. Very tight knit group of people, and will make you feel welcome. Great starting place for someone with zero kitchen experience as well.
High turn over rate!
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 February 2018
Great place if they would keep the staff and not fire and hire like they are changing socks. They need to train and keep the staff they have but they don't.
Cons
High turn over rate.
Great Work Culture
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 December 2017
This is by far the best restaurant I have worked at:

Friendly staff
High level of customer service
Great food
Respect between all levels of managerial hierarchy
The company is always growing and changing
Nice team
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2017
Indeed is a great place to work:
- exciting use of technology
- fun work environment with great people
- diverse projects to work on
- casual work environment
- unlimited PTO
Pros
unlimited PTO, free lunches and snacks, great coworkers
Cons
salary a little bit under market.
Busy and hardworking workplace but very friendly and nice people
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 November 2017
I use to work there from 8am to 12pm. In the morning, I was alone in the kitchen cutting an washing fruits and Vegetables ,so it was very relax. At 11 am, it started getting very busy but everyone came to do their job and everything was well handled, Overall, good experience!
Pros
Breaks when I wanted
Cons
Working after my shift was over
server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2017
Chop has a great culture. I would reccomend this company to anyone. They are great for accomadationg schedules. The management is also great and easy to get along with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chop. Our community is ready to answer.