Chop

Chop Employee Reviews

Canada52 reviews
Fast paced environment
Due to the nature of the establishment, there was a high standard of work that required you to be diligent in your duties. Management was alright but there was a lot of gossiping and tension between employees.
Seasonal Banquets at Chop
The banquets at Chop were a fast paced environment. It was fun to be working a different function or event every night. The downside of the job was resetting the rooms at the end of every function every night.
Would probably work here again
Although i left chop as a front line leader the work to life balance was not there for me if i were t work for this group again i would not want to be anything more than a prep cook
No love for the kitchen
The difference between working in the kitchen and working as a waiter/waitress is huge. Impossible to become a waiter unless you have an "in" with the manager or are a female.
so pathetic
Worst place to ever work , I would not recommend working here bad management, so not professional , unorganized , just all and all just a hot mess that will never improve
Loved my time spent with Chop
Such a fantastic work environment! Enjoyed every moment working with all staff, front and back of hous3
Thankful for everything I learnt in my 2 years at Chop Winnipeg!!
Great opportunity for growth
I learned a lot with this company. I miss it dearly to this day! Their systems and standards and policies and procedures and thorough and valuable.
My typical day at work began by checking emails and ensuring the night service or lunch service was prepped and the restaurant and team were ready to go. I was on the floor throughout service working with the team to ensure the highest levels of service were upheld. I chatted with guests and ensured they were having a great time. I rectified any complaints or issues with food or beverage.

The workplace culture was fun-loving and people focused.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learned the systems and standards and being able to implement them with the team and see real time results!
Meh
Its a decent place to work. Unless your life is dedicated to the job you won't get far. Depending on the location some management is really good to work with and others mehhh.
Chaotic & Fast-Paced
Was not a good experience. New staff was disorganized, environment always messy, asked me to perform tasks outside of my job description. Good ambiance for customers but not for workers.
Don’t work here
Over all was the worst place I ever dish washed for was suppose to be full time and yet was getting as low as 16hrs and a week during the summer they like most restaurants don’t give proper breaks you can go for a smoke if u feel it won’t put you behind most dishwashers were falling behind never Postes the schedule a week in advance as required by labour standers management was never willing to sort out problems and complaints they would say okay I’ll look into it and never did witch caused multiple work place disruptions and fudes I really hope that they are under new management by now as most the staff were kind and friendly even tho no one could afford their own smoking habits witch is sad
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Poor management
Warning
Back of house kitchen can't keep up to standards of modern restaurants of this caliber.
BOH Management needs improvement

Stubborn management with quick to blame mentality

No benefits for servers.

The keg does if you are full time making loyal employees

Supervisors get minimum wage plus tip out.

Shouldn't be coming from other employees tip out.

Should be coming from the bottom line.
Pros
Money
food is good..poor management
long work hours with no breaks at all..long hours you cannot go home on your cut time hours.Lots of stuff to clean ..Lots of work and stress for minimum wage
Pros
decent tips
Cons
long hours, poor management
Very fast paced and physical demanding jobs
Fun to work at and decent pay, only problems is conflicting management issues between corporate officers and the restaurant chefs. Very confusing workplace, management sometimes can be very harsh to rank and file workers.
could improve
the culture was awesome and the best part of the entire experience but the management was lacking they were constantly running around with their 'heads cut off' and screwing the staff out of tips and we were consistently understaffed throughout the period of time that I spent with them. From what I've heard they have improved significantly since last I heard from former coworkers.
Pros
half off meals, the welcoming kitchen staff
Cons
poor management, minimal hours available, understaffed
Best job I’ve ever had.
The culture at chop is incredible no cattiness or cliques such a tight knit family and management truly cares about their employees. I would reccomend working at chop Barlow to anyone and everyone.
Amazing food but terrible work place
It’s very unfortunate because although the food at this place is amazing, I cannot say the same about the work environment. Anyone who wants to serve here should know what they are getting themselves into as I can list so many things... don’t expect to make any money because several nights you will walk out with no tables at all, sections are awful, they overstaff almost every night, and even when you have a lucky night where they give you more than two tables, more than half of your tips will go to the kitchen and selfish management, who can’t even spare 20 dollars out of their 700 dollar tip out bags to the food runners Who work harder than any position at the restaurant. Pretty much every shift you will be cleaning the back for longer than you will be serving tables. Not to mention the fact you will get sick because they expect you to clean buckets of dirty cutlery, dishes and glassware. Save yourself the time, pretty much any restaurant is better.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Everything else
Feet constantly hurt
Good overall work atmosphere. Management is OK. Staff is ok.

The short skirts and high heels as a requirement was always a little offsetting. There were times when I recall some female dining room servers being told that they couldn't work in the lounge because they didn't meet the physical appearance requirements, (weight, skin tone, height, hair, make up). Food was good. Drinks were good.
Pros
Bottles of wine at cost
Cons
High heels
Fun workplace with great people to work with
A typical day at work consists of a fun energetic attitude amongst management as well as my coworkers. Hardest part of my job is not getting enough hours which therefore doesn't supply me with sufficient income.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Short hours
Very Unprofessional Company
They don't seem to understand how to employ people. Came in for an interview where they said I would start work the following week. Called multiple times to see what time I would be starting, with no answer. Finally got there to be told "there must have been a misunderstanding" and that they would call me when I would come in. All this after taking my personal information, assuring me I was hired, and me cancelling other interviews.

Even if they called me back now, I think I'd much rather work with a more professional management.
fun workplace
chop steakhouse is a fun place to work with everyone being very nice and open. At chop Steakhouse, the energy in the restaurant is very enjoyable and fun to be around.
Pros
good hours
Cons
sometimes have to stay longer then usual
Slow restaurant with alright food and alright management. Fantastic guest service and experience!
Every day is a gamble when coming into a shift, no one knows if it is going to be worth it to go in as business has declined drastically in the past few months. You could be there for a half an hour, or three hours with no tables.