Chop Steakhouse and Bar

Chop Steakhouse and Bar Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
Working at cop has been a pretty decent experience, there are no tip outs for hosts and bussers which is unlike other restaurants and definitely is a drawback. Overall not too bad but could be a lot better in terms of pay, considering how much you are expected to do.
Ive learned a lot of things like how to dealstress at wqork , how to deal people that doesnt making effort at work , and i love how to love my job because the people i work with
No chef means no life, management is greedy, favors foh than boh, dont give you proper days off after long 7+ day stretches, puts all chefs duties on the supervisors with no pay increase, the workers made it better, training is non existent. They do very good with their customer appreciation but belittle and dont repect their staff.
Pros
Staff somewhat
Cons
Greedy management
If you're a 10/10 and a kiss a s s you'll be fine, if not don't expect to advance
High prices = high tips

Sexist and creepy managers

Lots of back stabbing and gossip
Pros
Easy tips
Cons
The management talks a lot about advancement and learning and customer service and pride in the company. Yea great, they pay their supervisors $16.50 at most locations, when min wage is $15. As a supervisor you also don't get OT. I do cash as part of my job and see how little the servers make vs ring out. Most of the girls who make money here make it off of their own friends that come in and tip them on their one shift a week. Everything is broken, management is stretched way to thin, every day is straight chaos. I thought working at a place that emphasized pride in your company would be a more well run establishment but I was completely wrong. The one thing i will give this place is that the staff are fun and there really isn't any drama like at most places but the hours I'm working with the total lack of compensation is just not worth it
Pros
free supervisor meal
Cons
long hours, poor pay, tip out kitchen and bar on total ring out not individual food/liquor sales
The management is absolutely terrible. The owners talk about staff on shift to other staff members. They belittle their staff by appearances and schedule servers who are prettier in the lounge. The tips are good, but the amount of work you have to do for a minimum wage hourly rate is absurd. For a place that thrives on making the customer happy, they don't care about keeping their staff happy to do so.
the management staff have zero idea how to run a restaurant. They don't care about their employees, all they care about is that the restaurant makes money. This company makes employees pay for credit card fees, instead of taking on the cost themselves. They take money from servers and out into their own pocket. Would not recommend to anyone. Very toxic environment.
Pros
couldn't think of any
Cons
too many to list.
Fun environment and very fast paced butthe job security just wasnt there. No room for growth or movement within the company. Very helpful in developing dealing with people of all temperaments .
The managers are great and they genuinely want to see you do well but they are stretched too thin to facilitate growth in employees. They promise opportunities for advancement and then use that to bait you into working harder than you should for the wage you are offered. Back of house staff are treated unfairly and relations with servers are tenuous at best.
Pros
Great management and staff
Cons
Poorly organized
Lots of promise for growth & opportunity. But will use you, or drag you down when it serves them best. Little reward and respect for the Kitchen staff who work tirelessly. Turnover in the kitchen is insanity. Management is toxic. Saw almost an entire management team with the exception of 3 people turnover completely in less than two years. Feel as if I have ptsd from working at Chop.
So far this has been the best place I have worked. Everyone is so friendly, quickly became super close with a few people. It gets pretty busy most nights
A large growing company with many different sectors in the hospitality industry that is easy to transfer in and out to. Opportunities are always there. It's a great company to grow your career with.
I started off at chop for my first restaurant job as a host before advancing to serving after 3 months. Hosting was relatively easy and straightforward, however you were severely under compensated for the amount of work you put it (especially as a busser). They claim they pay you “above industry standard” which is 15 cents over minimum wage, and you receive no tip outs. Servers take advantage of the bussers and have them clean all their tables. Servers are also very aggressive with their tables & rotation and have no issue yelling at 16 year old hosts when they’re skipped for one reason or another. Working as a server, you have little to no support from managers, are constantly understaffed and are there for long hours despite having no new tables for the last 3 of your shift. Tips are good but come at a big cost of entitled customers & long days. The only perk about this job is that I’ve met some of my best friends here. It’s a good place to start if you want your foot in the door and have no prior experience, but this job has ruined serving for me.
Worst management. Unorganized. Very unprofessional. Turnover is bad,

Regulars have stopped coming back due to lack of service. Not as busy as it use to be
The job was good hours and such, but I disliked the management and staff as they conducted themselves poorly in many situations.
I once had to go purchase a food item during my shift, which was not part of my job description.. was made to pay out of my own pocket at the time and was never compensated for it.
Loved the management! Very accommodating with my family life. Caring and thoughtful but also thorough with training. You feel like you can answer any question the patron asks once finished training
Treats employees as if they own you but also treats you as disposable. Management is vindictive, two-faced, and unaware of what actually happens in the restaurant. No loyalty no matter how hardworking you are.
Managers act more like children than the employees. Managers have favorites and that really shows in the scheduling. I have never hated managers the way that I hated the ones here. They don't care about the others who actually work hard and do what they are suppose to. If they don't like you, trust me you won't be getting good shifts. Employees are extremely shallow, they talk behind your back and isolate you in every way if they don't like you. They are all stuck up and all act fake rich as if they could do better than the job they are in. Hated this place and everyone there, especially the managers. Complete waste of time.
I was hired under false promises.
Management was ok. They were easy to talk to when problems would arise. They dont do auto grat which was suprising to me. The pay is not good. Food is GREAT! & the restaurant is nice. That's about it. Parking was stressful I received a ticket pretty much every shift. Which they would take care of but it was still stressful.
Pros
Were generous about tasting food
Cons
Pay, advancement, parking.
If you have little availability and want a casual job with short shifts this is a good job, if you're looking to make a lot of money it may not be the job for you.
Pros
short hours
Cons
little shifts
I love my job and enjoy going to work everyday, Each day is a chance to learn, teach and grow as a manager and as a person. We have worked and are still working on building a great culture of positivity, passion and fun. The hardest part of the job is how slow we are, it's hard when the sales aren't there and I enjoy being busy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chop Steakhouse and Bar. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6