Choices Markets
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Working at Choices Markets: Latest Choices Markets Reviews

Canada77 reviews

grocerydiscountstorefriendlyadvancementstaffnicecustom

Better than no job at all

Choices wants to operate as a big company but store fronts are not maintained properly, jot ergonomic, and upper management does not listen to concerns of staff

Overall fine, very basic responsibilities, awful management

I worked here for 4 years, met some good people but the management was generally awful and unhelpful. Some mangers were nice but others were almost psychotic. Just did general stuff like stick shelves and clean, so nothing crazy. Worked on cash for a bit, and again just basic skills required. There is barely any room for growth or a raise.

Insights into Choices Markets

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Fast paced and stressful workplace

Working at choices can be stressful and busy at times, however it did make shifts go by quickly. Be aware that you will be on your feet for long hours.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Busy and stressful at times

If you have experience, dont work there

Overall for people who are new to working in customer service its a decent start point. If you already have experience in customer service I would strongly advise against it. The upper management is poor, they cut hours when they feel like it so if you want to make a living with this job good luck. The pay is mediocre for the work you have to do but, for a newcomer, its fine.

Decent place to work

Decent, not the best grocery company but not the worst, lots of cool products on shelf but extremely expensive which makes it hard for people to want to shop there

terrible company to work for

look elsewhere for employment, no raise in 6 months, very poor management, extremely unorganized store, asbestos under the tiles that have simply taped over, overall terrible experience, would not recommend unless it’s your very first job in Canada, so you can see what the bottom of the barrel looks likedefinitely better ways to make your minimum wage

Pros

you get to leave at the end of the day

Cons

management

The Abbotsford location is horrible and has a terrible store manager. He is rude and talks down to his employees.

Never ever work at Choices it's a cheap company that doesn't care about it's employees and management is awful. Also if you ask for a raise they will tell you they can't afford it! They will overwork you to the point of exhaustion then make you feel bad when you finally say no to unpaid overtime. You're expected to work with broken equipment and supplies and then if you ask for safer equipment you'll be told it's broken because you're not using it properly even though it's already broken! Don't expect to get ANY training either! You get maybe 4 hours of training at the most then you're on your own and expected to know everything. If you're asking for a full time job at Choices you won't get it either, they will keep you at 28-32 hours or even less so they don't have to pay you any benefits.

Okay place to work

People are really really fun and nice, only get a 10% discount, very strict corporate management (strict uniforms and breaktimes), and some rumours of covering up SA. Depressing breakroom.

Pros

Great people mostly

Cons

bad benifits

Very poor management, but learned a lot about health products.

Had monthly trainings from at least 4 different companies each month which was amazing, learned a lot about health products plus we got lots of samples. Management wasn't the best: they had mood swings and we would get the brunt of it, manager lost temper a few times and would yell at us, many coworkers were brought to tears. There needed to be more collaboration and communication. Training on store procedures was very poor. Pay is not a living wage considering all the studying/training we go through to give customers good advice. The store discount is 10% which is absolute nonsense.

Pros

At least 4 different companies would train us each month (we would get paid, plus receive samples)

Cons

Poor management Poor wage Poor discount Poor work environment

Friendly young workers, weird management

Where to start ... when you first get into your interview, it'll actually be great. Management will be good to you and everything will seem straightforward though repetitive, but you should know that as repetition is key to low skill grocery. But after the first week, is when you start, well, noticing. Chores will be inconsistent and management will be unorganized and get mad at you for, really, no apparent reason; not complete micromanagement but, for example, changing the displays you made behind your back to better suit the "look" the individual manager sees and likes. Management also seems to get angry when an employee calls in sick. Even some who have called in sick once, are given a weird suspicion as though they are lying over the phone. If you're working as a grocery clerk sometimes your left to do way too much, and boss-man will sit in his office doing paperwork. This is where the understaffing issue comes in. You're gonna do a lot. But, overall, all your coworkers are gonna be really great for the most part but the management makes you wanna drop dead. So, in conclusion, hopefully you take my words of caution, random internet wandering job seeker. Oh, and the Christmas bonus was a $25 gift card ... make of that what you will.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Management Organization

Great job if you're young and ambitious.

Certain locations are smaller so there is not alot of room for advancement. Great job if you're seeking part time or full time. Work life and personal life do clash if you're full time because grocery store employees have to be flexible with the needs of the business.

Pros

Small discount on groceries

Cons

Trouble balancing work and personal life

Productive and fun workplace. Sometimes it becomes really repetitive and heavy work. But overall it's okay 👌. Very low pay and customers always ask unnecessary questions.

Pros

Good management

Cons

Heavy lifting, customer's annoying questions.

Toxic management will take advantage of you

I worked for choices for about 2.5 years. The amount of stress I endured here was insane. The store manager was awful. They picked on employees who weren’t trained properly (because of them??) and micromanaged every single small task. We were also worked into the ground. I was hired as a cashier and ended up doing the role of the another department for months, and I wasn’t being compensated for it at all. (There was supposed to be a $2 increase in pay) we were so understaffed I had to switch back and forth between these two positions all day, and would get reprimanded if I missed a small task like I hadn’t just been working myself like a dog. The only decent thing about this place was my coworkers because we all bonded over our dislike of the manager. Staff turnover is high here and it’s not for no reason. Management also fails to hire new people once staff give in their two weeks notice and instead just shifts all the work onto the staff, overwhelming them and making them quit too. I’m glad I got out of here.

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

Toxic management

Great place to work, great management

Everyone was so nice, accommodating and supportive. Managers would step in and help with no questions asked and wanted everyone to feel safe and supported.

Poor management

A typical day is receive orders, stock shelves, clean, dust and then customer service. No support from management, it is all about them. Very little flexibility. The best part is the customer support and some co-workers.

Pros

Samples

Cons

Poor management

inclusive, fun, kind environment

everyone working at choices is very kind and easy to get along with. the managers always make sure you are comfortable and happy at work and are always willing to help you with your scheduling needs

Amazing workplace.

Amazing and fun workplace, would highly recommend. Very accommodating with schedules and an overall joy to be once part of an awesome team. Lots of breaks and great pay.

Pros

Accommodating and fun

Cons

Repetitive tasks

Great place!

I met life long friends working here. The team was amazing! They always made you feel heard and treated the staff with dignity and respect. It is definitely a place I miss the most.

Low wages hard work lousy hours

Working at Choices Market was great to start. Its a demanding job as a supervisor and not paid your worth. The bonus about Choices it’s like a family away from home. Yes shifts are all over the place but it was fun too. The Lockart Family who previously owned it made it the company it is today. I don’t believe any one can replace that. Hard work yes. Customer service #1 I met so many sweet customers at the Whiterock Store. Every week repeat customers would come in and request me to bag there groceries. I got pushed out through upper management forcing me to transfer to Yale town or I didn’t have a job.

Pros

The customers and staff

Cons

Low wages hrs all over the place

Good Place for First Job

Great place to work as a young adult, but standing on your feet everyday can get tiring. Management can be a bit unorganized at times, but nothing to difficult. Hardest part of job is standing on feet all day, dealing with customers.

Great people, managers treat staff well. Plenty of staff appreciation events, such as BBQs. Made plenty of friends while I worked here and had a lot of fun too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Choices Markets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement