Choices Markets Employee Reviews

I hope to make a difference in productivity
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ontario13 January 2018
A good and enjoyable place to work.very nice management team.it will be fun working here.team work is always good.I hope I will make an impact in the job.
Very busy and Productive workplace
Point of Sale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2017
Usually 8AM-4:30PM, Occasional 6:30AM-3PM
Typical Day includes sorting emails and mails, putting out talkers and labels, price verifying, answering to customer and manager inquiries.
Management is very helpful and open to advancement
Very close knit workers, very helpful with new employees.
Hardest part of job is every first of the month and weekly ad flip.
No loyalty to employees, no room for advancement
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Anonymous31 August 2017
I worked my butt off and did more work than my job title and pay offered and when I applied for an advancement in the company they gave the position to someone from the general public. My department manager was an amazing person but the store manager was insulting and cold.
Pros
Small discount off products, most staff friendly
Cons
Dreary staff room, terrible management, high school staff
Lots of work politics
Employee (Former Employee) –  BC28 August 2017
Good benefits. salary is fair. Lots of workplace drama going on. HR is either taking sides or just too lazy to investigate if there are frictions between employees. They seem to have "preferred" employees who stayed with them for a long time. Some senior employees are lazy and passes most of the work to the new guys.
benefits
Cons
management
A workplace that is busy but overall everyone is like Family in the end.
Point Of Sale (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 August 2017
In the morning,
I would either start with the bakery department by sorting and putting fresh baked foods in the shelf and do my deposits. After, I will go back to my regular duties such as making price signs for displays, maintaining the proper prices on the shelf, helping out coworkers by being on cash to help the rush hours. Usually, when people call-in sick i help out or cover their department and management is outstanding. Most enjoyable part of the job is everyone one at the job, we treat each and everyone with respect and were like a family at work.
Great first job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 May 2017
Safe environment for people to work at for their first job. Great opportunity to work on customer service skills. Provides helpful information on healthy eating habits and options
Pros
good hours
Cons
not much room to move up
great staff
Meat Wrapper/ deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 December 2016
helping customers, doing some general cleaning every day. i enjoy my job alot therefor I don't find it hard at all. My boss is awesome and really takes the time to make sure I am properly trained.
Great Family Business for all ages
Great perks
good benefits
learning training
advancement
Pros
flexible
Cons
retail
Productive and fun workplace with awesome staff
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 May 2016
Choices Markets treats their employees so well, and shows so much care for the people who work for them. The employers are always making sure everyone is happy, and the wages are more than minimum wage which is also a bonus. They strive on the idea of "if their employees are happy and treated well, their customers will be happy too".
Pros
More than minimum wage, great people, friendly environment
Cons
Limited amount of hours for part-time employees
It's a long way to the middle
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2016
The best part about working at choices is the people. If you don't enjoy meeting new people, this job isn't for you because the turn over is insane and you'll be meeting and working with all types of people.

The pay is horrendous for those who do not "aspire" to manage a grocery store. middle management and management sound average for this line of work. $18-25 but it takes a very long time to get there.

This company expects a lot from its employees. Skipping breaks, working overtime for no pay, it's stupid. We often joke that this job is the "golden handcuffs" pay you just enough to be comfortable but not enough to save.

This company is growing fast but will not hire adequate staff for their stores. This leaves you working with whoever they can get. This is especially frustrating if you have an academic background or have an extensive work history. Must keep in mind, their demographic employee is "high school student".
Pros
pay every week!
Cons
grocery store lifestyle
A high volume sales store, busy but efficient.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2015
I worked in the highest volume store which was challenged by the limitations of it's square footage. A great emphasis was placed on good customer service which they achieved. Staff were pleasant and conscientious though lacking in product knowledge. Maintaing sufficient staffing levels was challenging.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
High dstaff turnover rate
Fun work place and family owned
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 October 2014
A good place to work if you want to grow with a company.
I learned a ton about grocery
managment is a little slow
I love the people I work with
Great staff with little room for advancement
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2013
I have worked at Choices Markets for over 7 years, and I have gained a lot of invaluable experience. I have learned how to supervise and manage people, handle large amounts of cash, and to be and independent thinker. I gained insight in how to implement an orientation and training program for new employees and was the first point of contact for new staff members. I have had a lot of fun there and made lifelong friends.However, customer service can be difficult, so I have learned how to be patient.

The company itself is family-owned and operated and there is very little room for career progression. I found myself capped at my current position, and I started to look elsewhere. I wanted to be challenged and I felt I had reached my potential there.
Pros
employee discount, knoweldge about the organic food industry
Cons
standing for 8 hours a day, lack of advancement