CHILLIWACK SOCIETY FOR COMMUNITY LIVING Employee Reviews

Bully culture from the top down
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC31 January 2019
There is a massive gap between what Cscl says they do, their mandate and policy, and what actually takes place. Most of the managers are inept. They seem to believe their job is to harass and second guess, micromanage staff which gets in the way of some great support staff actually doing their jobs, supporting their individuals. It’s supposed to be person-centered support but managers always get in the way, telling our individuals what they need and want. Managers are also adversarial with most staff, and are over-the-top passive aggressive. Cscl directors are more invested in officially saying all the right things, than in actually doing all the right things. What sounds good, sound bites. Optics, marketing. It’s a mess. But cover it up with ill-got accreditations and marketing rather than actually addressing the problems. Management is exploitive, asking staff to work for free on weekends or evenings.. the expectation under implied threat that if you don’t cooperate.... They don’t seem to care about the employment standards act. They definitely don’t care about their staff. Expendable. Surprising, considering the sector they’re doing business in. I never understood why Cscl hates its staff so much. So disrespectful and unprofessional. Obviously there is a reason for such rapid staff turnover. Cscl directors set up an employee questionnaire allowing staff to review their employer. Give honest feedback. Seems like a great thing, right? Well Cscl called it an “anonymous” questionnaire, but then issued every staff person an unique identifying number they had to attach to their  more... questionnaire. Not so anonymous after all. Then they made it mandatory under implied threat for every staff to complete the survey. Cscl paid for a third party to conduct this racket, with the intended goal of getting another corporate badge as a “preferred employer.” Every staff I know did not want to complete this not-so-anonymous questionnaire but were forced to, and everyone knows the results are skewed artificially in to the positive. Just another example of Cscl being heavily invested in its surface optics, but not so much in actually addressing its toxic bully culture.  less
Pros
Relationships with the clients that we try to support
Cons
Top heavy Cscl seeing clients as contracts / paycheques, not as individuals
Productive and engaging work environment
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC31 July 2018
I have been working with CSCL for 3 years now, and love the job and opportunity I have been afforded. The job has a lot of opportunities to work in a variety of job details. A great place to work.
Negative workplace
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC13 June 2018
CSCL hires pretty much anyone, always short staff and they hire people with no experience or education. It is somewhat a rewarding job, however, the work culture is terrible. Management support each other. Supervisors are not trained and experienced. They do not know how to solve conflict and often blamed people instead. My co-workers were dysfunctional, back stabbing, and talked about other staff members. Very negative and toxic environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunches and dinners
Cons
Unpleasant work environment
An amazing place to work
Program Manager, Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC14 January 2018
Large organization with unlimited opportunity for rewarding work. Supportive management and peers. Above average benefits. Great work and home life balance.
Pros
Supportive work place
Cons
contracts are often part-time
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 November 2017
This is a fantastic place to work. For the mostpart, all of the people I work with are kindhearted and accepting. Lots of opportunity for upward mobility.
Pros
Very Healthy Work Culture
Cons
Wages and Benefits Could be Better
Racism / Bullying ?
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC29 July 2017
It took me time to realize that work culture do suffer from racism and bullying. I reported my experience to all management - I just didnt want anyone else to go through.
Nothing personal but management has to do a lot to make check that there is no discrimination.
Pros
Good people, Good HR
Cons
No support for worker
positive environment, allows me to give care one to one to the individuals; therefore it is less stressful.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC26 April 2017
A typical shift for me consists in providing personal care , preparing and serving meals, assisting the individuals with their scheduled outings.The hardest part of the job is not being able to correctly perform transfers because of the inadequate equipment.
Pros
low workload, free lunches
Cons
low pay
Unprofessional
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC21 November 2016
Unionized management what more do I need to say. The training across the entire organization is very poor to non existent. Care provided is poor.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Unprofessional, poor/no training.
dysfunctional
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC31 January 2016
Client were fantastic, management needed some work. Supervisors did not know how to solve conflict and often blamed people instead. My co-workers were for the most part pretty good, but they were just as dysfunctional.
Pros
free trips
Cons
A very rewarding place to work, great opportunities, wonderful staff
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  9353 Mary St, Chilliwack, BC V2P 4G9 Canada24 September 2015
As a support worker with Chilliwack Society for Living, I had to opportunity work with and provide caring and individual service, for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Services which were designed to meet their personal and unique needs.
Pros
very supportive staff/management
Cons
no proper lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHILLIWACK SOCIETY FOR COMMUNITY LIVING. Our community is ready to answer.

CHILLIWACK SOCIETY FOR COMMUNITY LIVING Reviews by Job Title