Children's Services Employee Reviews

CPS/Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Caro, MI3 April 2018
Tons of available vacation time. Great place to work with very supportive staff. Great place for individuals who are career oriented and want to put the time in to advance.
Not for everyone
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NY1 March 2018
Job overall is very stressful and overwhelming, you work a lot of hours and get home every night at 9-10pm. You will work 60+ hours a week and you will never have time to take an hour lunch which they don't pay you if you decide to work through it. You need to be able to time management on a extreme level. If you don't have a supportive supervisor/ unit you will not be able to succeed. This job is not for everyone and definitely not for people who have children and families. Job is best for young single people who have college or other bills to pay off. The pay is not bad but not enough for the amount of case work you do.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Okay
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 1003828 January 2018
At this job as an intern all I did was file and gave out mail from 8am-2pm Monday-Thursday. Work with a lot of older people that was 30+ years older then me. They all was mean and always looked angry but, fun to work with and talk to when I got a change.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
very cold
We worked with children who had ADHD.
Certified Professional Coach, CPC Cert (Former Employee) –  Yucaipa, CA30 November 2017
We met with the children.
Helped them learn better coping skills and how to deal with ADHD.
Management was very helpful and cooperative.
Workplace culture was warm and friendly.
It was so much fun seeing the children realize they could accomplish far more in their lives. Additionally, seeing the light and joy in their lives as they learned and advanced in our program.
Pros
Helping children.
Stressful work place
Children's protective service (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MI8 October 2017
Children's protective services and foster care workers have to work long hours under high levels of stress. It is not a job for the weak minded. It is hard to see children in abusive and neglectful situations.
Educational, health and safety.
New York City Administrative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY24 September 2017
After school program services. Recreational activities, homework, writing skills. Healthy snacks, and exercise.

I learnt that every child has his or her own opinion and it's not what they say, it's how they say it. I also learned more about them, like there favorite color/s, and what they would like to be when they grow up. As the owner of my day care, it continue to be managed productively, professionally and safe.

Diversity does not play a role in my care. However, it is very important that staff and I are trained to speak about the world, Science, History, and English as a second language to the youth today and tomorrow. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with each child medical history, story, or condition and not be aware of the situation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when they are prepared to leave my program, they show me their finished homework, assignments, drawing, and last and not least, I get a daily huge twice a day.
Pros
Promote balanced learning. Culture awareness, and care
Cons
Exposure to illness, Docked pay. Attendance
casework
caseworker (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY13 March 2017
A typical day at the office consist of managing case loads of 40 or more. Completing legal documentation to present to family court. Protect children and ensure their health and safety is being monitored at all time. Ensuring all documentation is in the system as this becomes legal documentation.
experience
Special Education Internship Brookville Center (Former Employee) –  NY4 March 2017
I learned so much about special education and how the students education is part of whole day of learning. From the start of the day, teachers and staff are dedicated to each student.
challenging work environement
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NY6 February 2017
a typical day at work is very hectic as worker's deal with ensuring the safety and well-being of children. Most staff is overwhelmed with caseloads and is a constant challenge to keep up with the work.
Supporting Special Educational Needs
Assessment and Planning Officer (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom31 January 2017
Monday - Friday 9-5 - good life balance.
flexible hours and good pay.

I learned a great deal of knowledge about Education services including legislation and the support and provision available for children and young people 0-25.

I worked within a large team of officers working to meet challenging targets and fast paced deadlines, in a stressful working environment.

The work is never boring as there is a real variety of plan writing, letters, panels, meetings and reports to complete.
Pros
Flexible working hours and Agile desks and able to work at home sometimes
Cons
Heavy workload, lack of management support, high staff turnover
Overall positive environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL16 January 2017
I provided crisis intervention to clients and families coping with emotional and/or behavioral difficulties and conducted home/school visits to monitor emotional and behavioral stability. I attended Individualized Service Plan meetings, Individualized Educational Plan meetings and Court hearings to advocate for clients’ rights and services
A productive and professional enviroment. Everyone is a Team player
Preventive Case Manager Administration (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 100384 January 2017
Although I have worked with many individual with different temperaments. Everyone does come together for the best interest of children and families and of course their jobs.
Pros
I love helping families in need
Cons
Court visits can be exhausting
n/a
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI2 November 2015
Learned many different things while being a manager including how important relationship building with your employees is.
Interim Director (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS2 July 2015
A typical work day would be overseeing the field operations and management. I've learned to enjoy life and make a difference everyday. Management was easy, the staff was wonderful to work with. Co-Workers were big talkers, I had to limit there visitations from time to time. The hardest part of the job was wearing several hats and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with a cool group of hard working ladies.
Pros
Awesome Team Workers
Cons
Supervision
Great job overall
Typist II (Former Employee) –  Dayton, Ohi29 May 2015
I loved this job. A typical day was typing up summaries on families. I learned there is a lot of abuse and neglect going on in the world. Management was great! Co-workers were great! The hardest part of the job was typing up the reports where kids were being abused and neglected. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers and supervisor.
Pros
Great place to work overall
Cons
Hearing about ongoing abuse
Friendly workplace
TLC Childcare Centre (Current Employee) –  Meadowbrook5 November 2014
Supportive team and management. Families and children are all lovely and friendly.
Pros
Great team in the Centre and lovely families and children
Cons
Management and owners of the Centre
Secure placement for children who were removed on emergency basis due to allegations of abuse and neglect
Case worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NY22 October 2014
We had adequate foster care agencies to work with. Sometimes, there wouldn't be adequate vacancies for higher levels of foster care.
We had adequate supervision and guidance for securing placements. We always worked together to secure placements as a team within each unit.
The hardest part of the job was placing children who had severe and multiple conditions.
The most enjoyable part of the job is placing a difficult children in foster care.
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
There weren't adequate foster homes; census differed daily.
Demanding and rewarding job
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, ENG20 January 2014
I don't have a typical day at work, priorities are arranged and planned and families are supported as, and when, they drop in to the centre.
I have learnt a host of valuable skills including empathy, empowerment, coaching and guiding and how to complete full family assessments.
I am distance managed and work closely with colleagues both within the centre and across the town.
The hardest part of my job is when I have to refer the family in to social care. This does not happen often but, occasionally, depsite the best efforts of both myself and the family, a referral has to be made to protect the children.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see a family change and grow. When the parents are empowered to make changes, no matter how big or small these are, the lives of their children improve.
Pros
Challenging and busy
I really liked my time while i was doing my certificate 3
Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubbo3 October 2013
just being a tafe made my day I enjoy being around children and just some of the words and sentences they come out with. the imagination is just fantastic
High pressure but rewarding environment
Social Work Asst (Current Employee) –  Dundee7 May 2013
I work within a locality children services social work team, covering the east end of Dundee. This had a wide variety of clients and involvement. This ranged from low level investigations to high level child protection issues.
Pros
Felt you were making a genuine influence in children's lives.
Cons
Can be very difficult at times.