Children's Aid Society of Toronto Employee Reviews

Rewarding workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2018
Worked with some very caring and professional staff who devoted themselves to the protection and safety of children at risk and assisted in supporting their families to bring them back together whenever possible.
Fun
Receptionist/ Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Ajax, Ontario28 December 2017
Great place for a career. Fun and also very firm when it is time to work. The employees are always willing to assist in the unknown areas. As long as the work is complete the supervisors are pleased.
Doesn't recommend working in the HR department
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2017
Benefits are very good however it doesn't make up for the lack of advancement, and communication.
People are not allowed to talk to each other.
Management doesn't communicate with employees only during department meeting.
Employees feel scared to loose their job every day so they never speak up about issues.
People are backstabbing each other to impress the management. The work environment is very bad and it's depressing to work there.
Pros
Benefits, Vacations, Work hours 9 to 5pm
Cons
No communication, no collaboration, no teamwork
Amazing
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 August 2017
Everyday can be different ,but for the most part you drive the same child/children.workshops and mandatory car seat checks and Vulnerable Police Check and Driver Abstract
Pros
pick you own days and hours
Cons
some late nights
Great balance of home life versus work life
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Excellent place to work. I feel that there is job security and a general sense of caring for needs of clients as well as employees. It is a higher paying employer with this comes much responsibility and long hours at times. Overall, employer is fair in decision making.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Workload
Very difficult place to work at
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 November 2015
I found that it is a very stressful environment and co-workers have very heavy caseloads. I was working on a contract and I found it hard to get some assistance and training as my co-workers where very occupied.
Fun
Centralized Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2015
There is a sense of job satisfaction and accomplishment.
Caring work environment and a fun place to work.

There is on the job training and workshops which re-enforce the knowledge of the job,
A frustrating work environment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2015
It was not a very supportive environment to work in. There was no praise or direction when dealing with clients. Promotions were more based on the friendship with management rather than actual qualifications, I found my co-workers did not function as a team and were more interested in partying with the manager, a functional alcoholic, than focusing on the well being of the clients or became enmeshed with clients and created an unsafe working environment at times.
Pros
It was the best paying job for Child Youth Workers
Cons
You often ended having to do double shifts because co-workers calling in on short notice
Busy and demanding profession. Client contact and coworkers make experience rewarding.
Children Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2015
Employment with the CAST has been a rewarding and challenging career. During my over 20 years of experience with the agency I witnessed many challenging organizational changes typically which were influenced and driven by economic influences (funding) and or as a result of recommendations from Inquests.

A typical day at work involved meeting the needs of Ministry mandated standards to see clients, document case notes associated with these contacts, supervising family access visits, complete at minimum quarterly reports regarding client progress, attend Child Welfare Court and complete necessary Court Documents associated, lots of driving across Southern Ontario, administrative paper work filing tasks and responding to crisis related matters (abuse investigations and or apprehensions).

What I learned was how to multi-task in this highly demanding and often fast paced profession.

Management at the CAST has gone through many transformations over the past 20 plus years. Approaches to management style and treatment of employees has varied also. For many of the years of my employ with the agency I had the good fortune to have highly supportive and caring Supervisors who mentored me and truly believed in and supported my work in Child Welfare. During the later stages of my career with the CAST a significant shift in style of management took place starting from the top characterized by a switch in title of the agencies head from being an "Executive Director" to calling himself a "Chief Administrative Officer". Coincidentally or not the culture of the agency became more "corporate"
  more... in nature and treatment of clients and employees began, in my opinion, to erode.

Co-workers at the CAST are some of the most courageous and inspirational people I know. I am privileged to have met them and consider some of these people to be the dearest and closest friends I have. However it would be unrealistic to overlook that in an agency of this size and with the number of people it employs that there are not a few "bad apples" within who avoid their responsibilities and increase the burden onto the shoulders of their co-workers. I am sure that at times, because of my challenging nature, some considered me to be a "bad apple". But I prided myself on completing my work responsibilities and not being a burden to my co-workers. I had too much respect for them to do anything otherwise.

The hardest part of the job one might think was dealing with clients and witnessing the tragic and difficult lives they experience. But for me in fact the clients are a reward in that they show such incredible resilience and strength even if they are not successful in accomplishing their goals. I truly like and enjoy the clients I had the good fortune of working with and find them inspirational. The hardest part for me with out a doubt were the changes in management style and the associated "corporate" like agendas associated with these changes. The hypocrisy of this style of management within a helping care profession is upsetting to say the least. I also found it challenging to cope with the few "bad apple" co workers who avoided their responsibilities and burdened co-workers such as myself.

The most enjoyable part of the job was with out a doubt the challenges of client contact. I also value the many wonderful, highly intelligent and stimulating co-workers I had the good fortune to meet. And lastly it goes without saying that the compensation and benefits of employ with the CAST are some of the most competitive in the field of Social Work.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Increasingly ridged corporate culture
A pleasant, quiet, work environment with friendly co-workers.
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Downsview Station9 June 2015
I worked at the Toronto Children's Aid Society last summer. I arranged case files in chronological order, scanned them onto the computer system, and organized files. I learned what it is like to work in an office environment. The office is well managed and the co-workers are all very friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was having to be inside all day when the weather was nice. I would have preferred working outside.. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers as they were all very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Friendly, pleasant work environment
Cons
Being inside
Productive and great team work
Legal assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2014
Productive workplace. The team at the legal department worked well together. Good communication between supervisors, assistants and lawyers.
Pros
Training provided whether or not you have experience in the area
Cons
Can be stressful just like any other law office
fun experiencing
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  cornwall ontario14 July 2014
it was alright the days where useually spent outside working with the mini tlb and cleaning the property up and installing a garage and other tasks when it was raining i worked inside.
Fun learning experience for me as well as the young people I work with
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2014
Everyday is almost like walking into my comfort zone. All of our staff work well together to ensure the benefits of the young people we work with. The hardest part sometimes of my job is witnessing the crisis and break downs of the young people I work with. Listening and learning about what they have gone through as young people is difficult emotionally sometimes, however the enjoyable part of the job is being part of the healing and recovering process of the young people to get them back on their feet again.
a difficult challenging job
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 June 2013
everyday brought new challenges with children from all back grounds. each child had to be treated differently in their own unique way.
Pros
lots of training
Cons
24 hrs a day job
Foster care
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Rama ontario25 September 2012
Foster care that is ware I take in childreen to give them A safe home untill they go back to family or to A new family
Cons
extremly long hours
foster sister
was a foster sister with family (Former Employee) –  Oshawa ON31 August 2012
helped mom with children and learened basic skills. was a foster sister for 11 years. i was a foster for many different age groups from new borns to 12 year olds
Pros
parents adopted sisters and my brother