Children's Aid Society of Ottawa

Children's Aid Society of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
This is a child welfare agency after all... so unfortunately the work can be very heavy and demanding which obviously affects people on a day to day basis. My team and supervisor were absolutely amazing, the culture is great knowing the work is hard... but the type of work is really only for a certain type of person who is an angel but also a workhorse.
Children's Aid has been helping me since the age of 14 and over the past decades I have looked after over 40 children from newborns to mostly teens. It has had it's tough passages and overall very rewarding to see the majority of the kids in care being happy.
Volunteer with CAS

Mentoring children and helping families

securing facilities and property

protecting property and people and information

working in a team environment
Great work life balance and benefits!
Friendly Staff

Good work hours

Possibility of moving within the organization

Competitive salary

Free parking - gym on site
I worked for the organization for almost a year on a contract. Working in child protection was my dream job. I worked extremely hard in order to achieve this goal. The job as one can imagine is quite challenging as you are working with families and children in a distressing time and often seeing people at their worst. I loved the work I did with my families. The long hours and paperwork did not detour me from showing up to work with a positive attitude however management and supervisors did. I unfortunately had a supervisor who quickly demonstrated she had a dislike for me and no matter what I did in order to please her she would find another fault in my work. It was clearly observed by other supervisors and my colleagues the unfairness that was going on. This supervisor was new and clearly wanted to make a name for herself, to which ultimately impacted my not being kept when my contract came up. Very clique, and political environment.
Pros
Colleagues, flexible schedule, salary
Cons
Clique, supervisors, impossible deadlines
Receptive and supportive environment, environment consists of skilled and professional social workers. There is extensive support provided to new and exisitng foster parents.
CAS Ottawa is a great location to work in the child and youth welfare space. They are continuously making an effort to improve the system and its flaws.
Pros
Empowering
Cons
Mostly administrative
While I really liked the work and have lots of experience and high secret clearance I was constantly being criticized by a member of the staff who was not my supervisor and not in a kind, informative way. 90% of the employees were great but a couple were against me when I walked in the door for no reason I could not do anything right in their eyes and they made it very rough for me until I left. Worst place I have ever worked in my long career.
Pros
I enjoyed the work and know I did a good job
Cons
Union, criticism, unfriendliness of some, back stabbers
This will be the most stressful job you've ever had (if you work as a protection worker). It's an extremely challenging job where you will be exposed to very sad and traumatic situations. I see some positive reviews on this site - but these are absolutely not from front line staff. If you are on the front line or working as a child and youth counsellor, expect long hours, some evening work, and a massive amount of responsibility.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Too much stress
Very good staff and very well organized with an inclusive and welcoming environment. There mandate is to protect the children of Ottawa and they work hard to ensure all their staff have the appropriate resources needed to work effectively.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Children's Aid Society of Ottawa?
dealing with planning outings and events, made sure that the youth were able to have fun in the summer also while attending meetings that would benefit the lives of the youth in future events.
Great place to work. Excellent team members and work environment. Supportive supervisors and managers. Hardest part of the job is the nature of the job. Excellent things in place for worker well being and self care
Fun place to work with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape, but this is to be expected of an organization of this size.
The Children's Aid Society provides a variety of services for children and families who are in need of extra support, care and access to special services.
As Unit Assistant in the Adolescent Protection Team a typical day included answering phones, arranging team meetings and/or family visits.

We were constantly opening and closing files which put a tremendous amount of strain on the social workers. I was there to support them in a variety of duties as needed.,

I learned about child welfare, social welfare and also how paperwork can become priority over actual care when government is funding an organization. That was the hardest part of the job, feeling like my hands were tied because of bureaucracy.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.The compensation and benefits are more than fair and the staff were offered the use of on site gym facility for a very minimal fee.
Pros
helping children and youth
Cons
long hours, difficult cases
people are more often happy than not. It is a very rewarding place to work. It can get pretty stressful at times but everyone always helps eachother out. everyone always makes you feel like you are a true part of the team.

I would work at CAS anyday. I loved it there
I am still learning about them. Counselling, issues in low income families...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Aid Society of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.
4.7