Cheshire Homes of London

Cheshire Homes of London Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Does not fit if you have any other commitments, kids, jobs etc
They give you a schedule but will schedule you at any time that they need you, and you cannot say no.

They have "rules" that you and they are supposed to abide by, but they urge you to break them if it suits their needs.

They do not care about the safety of their employees or clients.
This company only cares about money. They do not care about their employees or consumers. Often you are sent into bookings that you are not trained for and if you request a Care Plan, there is no information written down.
They are/did not handle this pandemic well. (They removed our PPE from offices, locked it up and sent us out into the hight of the pandemic without resources)

The management is a disgrace.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Enough time to do my job effectively, good training and support, good communication. Wish my pay was a bit more but that's life for a PSW. Benefits are good, but a bit expensive.
Pros
good pace, good colleagues
Cons
part time can be tough if you dont get hours
always short staffed and always asking people to stay and work over time and not paying them for it. the management is horrible they dont care about the staff of the residents that live there its all about money and thats it
lots of scheduling and dealing with clients when they call
the PSWs were fantastic and did a wonderful job

the change in hours was hard and my health prevented me from staying
Fast paced. Variety of clientele. Flexible hours. Can be tough work though, at times your on your own when you feel as though you should have a buddy, but overall its well balanced.
Pros- Cheshire has a supportive team and friendly, appreciative group of clients that are a blast to work with!
-Wide variety of duties/ not repetitive

-Opportunity to gain lots of experience with personal care, transfers, catheters and colostomies, wound care, medication administration, cooking, cleaning and communication skills

Cons- slightly understaffed
Cheshire is a company with loose rules and management rarely has straight answers. They are always short staffed. They do not care about the employees, you are just a number. You can do favor after favor for them, but as soon as you can't, they'll find a way to make you. Benefits are outrageously expensive, you are not paid your worth, and no matter how much you think you might be apart of a team, there is bad blood from the PSW's right up to managers. The managers even are catty to one another. You're constantly questioning if what you're doing is even legal.
If your a good worker they will take advantage of you. Trust no one they will all stab you in the back, nice to your face but talk behind your back. No confidentiallity what so ever. Lack of communication. Always short staffed. I worked in the oxford area and there were very few nice people you worked with. Consumers were great and very nice. I would not suggest this company to anyone. I worked there for a year. Apparently that means nothing to them. Management doesnt care about you, the more you show you are willing to do or learn the more that is expected without any give back. Depending on who your "friends" with desides what you can do or not do. Very unprofessional. Worse then high school with the drama. No one stays because flipping burgers is a better opportunity.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Managment sucked
I've been with Cheshire for almost 8 years now and I love how caring, compassionate and dedicated all the staff are.
This is a workplace that allows you to help provide the type of care that I think we would all want for ourselves and our families. At the same time, you are given the opportunity to learn and grow within your own role and potentially move up should you want to. Keep in mind that you need to have a flexible schedule but it's worth it.

I highly recommend this organization to anyone who is passionate about providing a high level of care to people in our communities.
Pros
Culture, The Clients & Staff, Good Pay
I have been employed with Cheshire since 2012. I came to Cheshire intentionally seeking a role in a not-for-profit organization because I needed to do work where I knew I was making a positive impact while helping others and not doing work to line the pockets of others.

The work we do here is incredible; there is no denying that the employees make this organization everything that Leonard Cheshire wanted it to be. The consumers are held in high regard and the employees who work in the field traveling in the communities to the consumer's homes truly do drive the expectations to a whole new level.

This year Cheshire celebrates 40 years of supporting individuals with disabilities and seniors. It has been 40 years of excellence in the industry!
If you want to work somewhere that really cares..this is the place to be. Great team...straight shifts...good pay and benefits. Paid for travel time and mileage
I have worked with this organization for a short time now and can’t speak highly enough about the company and its clients.
I came into this field with a passion for caring and if that is what drives you to be a PSW you will love this job.

Cheshire is very organized when you are first hired and offers lots of training and support. There are lots of hours if you want them.

So happy to have made the move to Cheshire.
I am pleased so say that my experience with Cheshire has been rewarding and engaging. My favorite part of this organization is the clients.
Having past experience in Hospital and Long Term Care it was refreshing to experience Cheshire's independent living philosophy and patient focused model of care.

The pay is great and there is plenty of opportunity for PSW's to work extra hours if you want to.

I love my job and will be here for a long time to come!
If you value yourself and have family stay away from Cheshire very poor management, always short staffed, total lack of compassion from higher ups, they have created a sense of entitlement for the clients over the years and some treat you like dirt. No weekends off, forced to work double shifts, high staff turnover high rate of burnout. The money is not worth your sanity! Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for hands down!!
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Long hours, short staffed, bad management
They pay great, but you work your a butt off, you have no life, they have the right to make you work when ever they want, plus you carry on call. no weekends off ever, and this is a very true fact. They lie to you at the interview saying you get every second weekend off, but you don't, your a very lucky or a butt kisser, to ever get 1 weekend every 6 months. The benefits are great but you pay almost $200 a month. The company does not care about there stuff, unless your a butt kisser. The clients are great, level of care is super heavy with almost every client being a lift. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Never a weekend off and on call.
Not a good place to work no job/life balance you are expected to work when they want , your weekends and days off are booked for you to work whether you have plans or not. Last minute scheduale changes sent to your work phone, last minute on call weekends.Team leads and managers are trained to disregard you as a person and walk all over you. Heavy work loads , short staff all the time. Very negative and emotionally draining environment. Leaving this job was the best thing I ever did!
Cons
No value placed on employees, very negative environment.
Cheshire Homes has provided my the opportunity to work on my communication skills as well as allow me to build on providing effective personal support.
Management is not coopoative with the front line staff. But. The clients are awesome. The job itself is very rewarding. You will grow to love who you work one on one with.
Pros
Lots of hours.
Cons
There are a lot of hours if you like to work. They are always short staffed but a good company to work for. They have some online training and also some other training that they provide including First aid and CPR.
Pros
Lots of hours to work
Cons
Dont get much time off
honestly if you became a health care professional because you care, than this is the company that will allow you to provide the care a client needs.

I love my job
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
lots of hours