Chemtrade

Chemtrade Employee Reviews

Featured review
Chemtrade selected this as a representative review
Chemtrade Montreal is a plant to recover sulphur in form of H2S of crude oil by diethanolamine(DEA) solvent. H2S is transformed to SO2 and then to sulphur and by- product of sodium bisulphite.For me as a trainee in the company, team working is delightful; each individual is performing his duty with communication with his co-workers to assure that the sequence and the whole of work is achieved.A mutual respect has been between the co-workers. If there was a human or a technical fault, the whole team were trying to solve the problem.The enjoyable part of the work was that, during the work, each individual feels that his role will be rewarded and will led to the aim of the work.Also, the majority of personnels have Golf play activity outside of work place.The challenging part of the work was that, during each duty the individual was alone to achieve his duty.
Pros
team-working
Hours were all over the place was put on a different schedule than everyone else and expected to work overtime with no notice couldn't make plans if you reject overtime they get very upset. Safety is everything there it takes so long to get anything done. Little to no room for advancement. Training is non existent. You will load trucks everyday and learn very little until someone new is hired. Management will not push for you to be trained in new tasks so don't expect to advance. They say they will but they won't. Management is extremely disorganized and will make false promises to keep you in the position. Workplace culture is very toxic. Has decent pay and is unionized for an in city job.
Pros
Decent Pay, union, safety, excellent benefits.
Cons
disorganized management, no advancement, toxic work environment
More opportunity for growth. There were many areas to learn. The colleagues were very cooperative. People will learn about SAP Financial. lot of macro works for financial analyst
Pros
helping each other
Cons
not available
Production, production,production. Yes they have every safety rule imaginable, but it's all on paper.. they dont actually want you to follow the rules if it costs them money or slows production. It's a giant charade juggling their written rules yet doing what your told by supervision. Never seen such a backwards company..
I worked at Chemtrade for 3 months as EHS Technician summer-contract. Great work environment, EHS manager and H&S Coordinator were very good to work with. Had the opportunity to work at three plants Brandon, Valleyfield and Beauharnois in all those plants the EHS leadership were amazing.
Pros
Very good EHS culture, approachable management
Cons
Temporary job, which was unfortunate.
Nice place to work , good staff , cooperative management . Work culture is very good . But my manager was little bit wired in giving me extra hours . SAP was the best part of the job
Management is horrible, arrogant engineer spells disaster! Manager that won't make a decision, backstabbing! No support from management up. Letterhead says people first, but that is the farthest from the truth possible. Pay is ok but not worth the stress . Dangerous place to work and a terrible polluter.
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Bad management, bad atmosphere, bad pollution, bad engineering, just all around bad place!
Well structured in terms of roles. Worth to note is that, it is small plant but when up and running, it's one of the most efficient. Coworkers are very pleasant to work with. It is a good working environment if asked.
Pros
Good place to work, well mannered coworkers
Cons
Small nature, pay is a little bit lower than the big giants
The company has grown a lot over the last few years. It is great that the company is growing by acquisition. I think there is a lot of potential here and it will take some time to work through some of the growing pains but I think we can get there.
Pros
Lots of growth, entrepreneurial spirit, employees work hard
Cons
The company has grown very quickly and does not have all of their processes in place just yet, All companies experience growing pains and I think there may be a few right now, I think they are on the right track
Comment – 18 June 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are happy to hear that you have a positive experience working at Chemtrade. You are correct, we are growing fast, which creates certain challenges, but also opens up new horizons and lots of growth opportunities!
The culture is serious as is the business of making Chlorate. Slow to moderate pace with post progression a requirement. A high focus on safety is the main concern. Railcar loading and unloading, DCS operations as well as Tall oil extraction.
Chemtrade is expanding fast, as the growth strategy. So far, it's been good, but start showing symptoms when mid-size companies grow into big companies. Management issue, and strategy issue. Overall, it's a good place to work.
Chemtrade is a Canadian company with a large presence in the United States. My experience was limited due to being eliminated on account of a mega-merger with a large competitor.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Old staff with no vision
no thought put into there safety for the maintenance personal not a safe place to work the only thing that they care about is covering there own butts, safety was a joke there. would not recommended any one to work there
Pros
close to home
Cons
not a safe place to work
Overall a great place to work. Fun people to work with, except a few of course. No official provided to learn applications, not a lot of direction provided by managers. They go by doing their work, and expecting you to figure everything out yourself. However Senior management were really approachable. Something I haven't seen anywhere else. Direct manager was always in his office, no direction was provided regarding job duties.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
no training provided, lack of direction
Comment – 18 June 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We value your opinion and we are glad that you had a positive experience with the senior management. We are committed to continuous improvement of our employee experience by internal recognition program (CHEers!) and learning and development opportunities with Chemtrade University.
Includes everything from budget management, review of productivity and plant costs, ensuring safety and environmental compliance, plant reliability, developing and mentoring people, ensuring product quality, ensuring a viable operation, capital execution, technical oversight of plant operations and so forth.
Pros
the people at the plant are exceptional
Cons
excessive hours
I worked here as a contracted labourer because the official employers are not labours by default. I would arrive at Syncrude and the Official Employer would pick me up and drive me to the work site. We would be debriefed on our objectives for the day and then we would wear our protective equipment and would go right on site. Basically we the labourers would clean up the ammonium sulfate residue on the site and pile them up for the caterpillar to take them out to waste by the end of the day. Co-Workers would be randomly paired and I had no problem with any of them for we all did our part. Hardest part of the job was the repetition which was always about shoveling and it would be quite a strain on the back but if you were fit and had pre-workout before the work, then it wouldn't be bothersome. But in end you gotta do what you gotta do and we finished all our work on time. But the people you worked for always was the enjoyable part of the job. A simple compliment would make you work a lot better in the end of the day.
Pros
Great People and Workplace
Cons
Labourers are only stuck on clean duty therefore repetitive work and not much experience
Corporate restructuring resulted in entire department being laid off. Got the news on Tuesday but did not find out how this would affect us for over a week. A week of hell, very badly handled by HR.
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
Unevenly distributed workloads, minimal training
Managed up to 20,838 tons of sulfur products every month with the value of over CAD $3.5 million