Chemtrade Logistics Employee Reviews

good place to work
Accounts Payable & Rail Administrative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Nice place to work , good staff , cooperative management . Work culture is very good . But my manager was little bit wired in giving me extra hours . SAP was the best part of the job
Stay clear of this one
Operator (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 July 2018
Management is horrible, arrogant engineer spells disaster! Manager that won't make a decision, backstabbing! No support from management up. Letterhead says people first, but that is the farthest from the truth possible. Pay is ok but not worth the stress . Dangerous place to work and a terrible polluter.
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Bad management, bad atmosphere, bad pollution, bad engineering, just all around bad place!
Growing Company, lots of Potential
Corporate Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto5 October 2017
The company has grown a lot over the last few years. It is great that the company is growing by acquisition. I think there is a lot of potential here and it will take some time to work through some of the growing pains but I think we can get there.
Pros
Lots of growth, entrepreneurial spirit, employees work hard
Cons
The company has grown very quickly and does not have all of their processes in place just yet, All companies experience growing pains and I think there may be a few right now, I think they are on the right track
Official response from Chemtrade Logistics
18 June 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are happy to hear that you have a positive experience working at Chemtrade. You are correct, we are growing fast, which creates certain challenges, but also opens up new horizons and lots of growth opportunities!

Educated approach to the work environment, progression is slow, union shop
Utility "A" / Assistant Process Oper (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC13 July 2017
The culture is serious as is the business of making Chlorate. Slow to moderate pace with post progression a requirement. A high focus on safety is the main concern. Railcar loading and unloading, DCS operations as well as Tall oil extraction.
Has potential
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2017
Chemtrade is a Canadian company with a large presence in the United States. My experience was limited due to being eliminated on account of a mega-merger with a large competitor.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Old staff with no vision
was a night mare after chemtrade toke over
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
no thought put into there safety for the maintenance personal
not a safe place to work
the only thing that they care about is covering there own butts, safety was a joke there.
would not recommended any one to work there
Pros
close to home
Cons
not a safe place to work
good place to work... can get boring
Fleet Logistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Overall a great place to work. Fun people to work with, except a few of course. No official provided to learn applications, not a lot of direction provided by managers. They go by doing their work, and expecting you to figure everything out yourself. However Senior management were really approachable. Something I haven't seen anywhere else.

Direct manager was always in his office, no direction was provided regarding job duties.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
no training provided, lack of direction
Official response from Chemtrade Logistics
18 June 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We value your opinion and we are glad that you had a positive experience with the senior management. We are committed to continuous improvement of our employee experience by internal recognition program (CHEers!) and learning and development opportunities with Chemtrade University.

Various functions typical of a plant manager
Plant Manager - Acid Plant (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 February 2016
Includes everything from budget management, review of productivity and plant costs, ensuring safety and environmental compliance, plant reliability, developing and mentoring people, ensuring product quality, ensuring a viable operation, capital execution, technical oversight of plant operations and so forth.
Pros
the people at the plant are exceptional
Cons
excessive hours
Good Workplace
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 April 2014
I worked here as a contracted labourer because the official employers are not labours by default. I would arrive at Syncrude and the Official Employer would pick me up and drive me to the work site. We would be debriefed on our objectives for the day and then we would wear our protective equipment and would go right on site. Basically we the labourers would clean up the ammonium sulfate residue on the site and pile them up for the caterpillar to take them out to waste by the end of the day. Co-Workers would be randomly paired and I had no problem with any of them for we all did our part. Hardest part of the job was the repetition which was always about shoveling and it would be quite a strain on the back but if you were fit and had pre-workout before the work, then it wouldn't be bothersome. But in end you gotta do what you gotta do and we finished all our work on time. But the people you worked for always was the enjoyable part of the job. A simple compliment would make you work a lot better in the end of the day.
Pros
Great People and Workplace
Cons
Labourers are only stuck on clean duty therefore repetitive work and not much experience
Great boss, great people, fun work atmosphere
Customer Service & Logistics (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB29 March 2014
Corporate restructuring resulted in entire department being laid off. Got the news on Tuesday but did not find out how this would affect us for over a week. A week of hell, very badly handled by HR.
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
Unevenly distributed workloads, minimal training
Great company culture
Supply Chain Assistant/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2012
Managed up to 20,838 tons of sulfur products every month with the value of over CAD $3.5 million