Cheam First Nation

Working at Cheam First Nation: 3 Reviews

Canada3 reviews

good

A typical work day is 7 1/2 hours so made for good work/life balance. The management is typical of a First nation administration office. The wiorkplace culture is typical of a First nation office in that I worked with family and friends which can be both the hardest and most enjoyable parts of the work

Lack of leadership and business experience from chief and council. Not much business sense by council and not interested in making money for the band.

A non progressive organization that is content trying to spend the government funding with no interest in developing income to help its band membership. Every 2 years there is a complete staff turnover after chief and council elections. Very few band members work at the office and outsiders are often not welcomed. Policies and procedures are virtually non existent. Difficult to get things done waiting for chief and council approvals. Lots of crime on the reserve and you don’t feel safe being there. Projects never get finished and unable to retain people because they leave from frustration.

Pros

Short work week

Cons

Micro managing chief and council.

fair

typically, every day I would go to work mon-fri, 8:30-4:30. when I got to work I would sign in, meet with the supervisor who would then give me my daily task. with this job, I learned first about safety of operating small equipment, and actual operation of the equipment (weed eater and lawn mower). the management was good, although I had very little interaction with management. I enjoyed the company of my co-workers, as they also were summer students and we all learnt together. the hardest part of the job was that the job was only short term but the most rewarding part was to receive a pay cheque knowing that I earned it.

Pros

good people, lunch hour

Cons

short term work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cheam First Nation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement