Chatters Limited Partnership

Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Slow, no room to grow, good employee discount

Pretty slow, but good employee discount. No room to grow as a beauty consultant, so it’s a good job if you’re a student or looking for part time work.

Treated very poorly and paid poorly as well

Getting yelled at and called names yet having good reviews at odds with one another. Lots of people quit and went on stress leave because of the terrible treatment. Higher ups didn’t care

Pros

Discounted product and service

Not bad starting job

Working front was okay. The people there were great and the company places importance on customers. You can learn a lot of useful skills. There isn't much room for advancement though, and no pay raises. They also cut your hours with no warning. Fun job, but not a long lasting job

Pros

Good people, product discount, few selling incentives

Cons

Unsteady hours, low pay

Low wages

They will provide you with lots of hours. However the quality of clientele here can be quite low. Many people do not care who they revived as a stylist as they are not loyal. Management is lacking and more fixed on numbers then a good business culture.

Be careful with your interview process.

A lot of lies, to be blunt. Impossible incentives. Poor district management, due to lack of salon knowledge. Zero opportunity to advance your career to professional levels.

Pros

Cons

Lies lies and more lies.

21 October 2021
Thank you for your feedback. At Chatters, we strive to provide the best experience we can for our team members. We would like to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with any further comments, concerns or suggestions.

Save your time

Management is very selfish and picks favourites with both the hairdressers and the girls working at the front desk. The stylists also acted very self entitled and rude, it was not a nice environment to go to every single day.

Pros

Cons

Manager

21 October 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. At Chatters, we strive to provide the best experience we can for our team members. Our dedication to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all is what sets us apart in the beauty industry! Your feedback is crucial to us building a working culture that would encourage team members to see Chatters as their second home. We are disappointed to hear about your experience, we'd like to learn more! Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with any further comments, concerns or suggestions

worst management

manager has no relevant management skills for job. abused their power and took advantage of employees and expected them to do their work. this made my experience pretty miserable. hours and shifts would get cut minutes before i would arrive. very unprofessional

Cons

management

21 October 2021
We know it is our team member's commitment, loyalty and talent that makes Chatters successful, and that is why we want to ensure we are providing our team members with the best environment! We would like to learn more about your experience, If you'd like to share your feedback please email us at recruitment@chatters.ca

Supportive

Listen, they have EVERYTHING you need to be a superstar in your career. It’s really up to you to want it. I’m supported with benefits, RRSP’s and education to fuel me. So much opportunity to grow your brand within a brand! You get a team from across Canada working and cheering you on. Everyone is open to ideas to make work not feel like work. I get to be a creative and not feel bad about it! More celebrated.

Pros

Contests, Competitions, Opportunities oh my!!!

21 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and we are glad to learn that Chatters is providing an environment that encourages your growth! You nailed it! Chatters is a community of Style Happy artists and we love providing our team members with opportunities to learn and grow together. We know it is our team member's commitment and talent that makes Chatters successful, and that is why we want to ensure we provide our team members with effective training tools! Our yearly Dare to Hair and Avant Garde competition really allows stylists from all over the country to showcase their incredible talent! We are happy to have you a part of our team. Wishing you the very best and thank you again for your valued feedback.

it used to be great

When i started, things were really great, beauty consultants were given a lot of incentive to strive and make goals. however as time went on and the new ceo took over most of that was taken away from us and our head office did not listen to any complaints given by beauty consultants. most of us at this point feel under appreciated and over worked. our hours continuously get cut, it’s not as stable as it once was

21 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At Chatters our commitment is to not only customer service, but to our employees. That is why we would like to hear more about your experience, please feel free to email us with further comments and suggestions at recruitment@chatters.ca

Not trustworthy

Problems getting paid, high turnover, bad management , lied about flexible schedule and work life balance, so bad at booking clients properly, take advantage of staff

21 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. At Chatters, we strive to provide the best experience we can for our team members. Our dedication to creating a understanding, supportive and rewarding environment for all is unwavering. We are disappointed to hear about your experience and we would like to hear more. Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with further feedback and suggestions.

As many opportunities as you want

As a stylist I've never felt more supported, And encouraged to better myself in my career. It can be a fast-paced work environment because there are so many learning opportunities because Chatters is always trying to help their stylist(s) become the best in the industry. They Supply tons of Education to help you learn and Advance your career if you want it. They also have RRSP contributions and a Stylist tool Purchasing program (neither which I have never heard of these things in a salon before). And they also have a pretty good benefits program. I've always been able to get ahold of management when I've needed help and found them actually very supportive. It's a really fun environment to work in, more life a family.

Pros

Opportunities

21 October 2021
Thank you very much for your review and we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying being a part of our organization! We love that you mentioned our Stylist Support program, we want all of our talented stylists to have access to all things beauty at incredible prices! Here at Chatters, we believe in building a rapport with our guests and our team, with an unwavering understanding that the “Experience is Everything”. Great employees deserve flexibility in scheduling, great benefits and awesome perks! We know it is our team member's commitment, loyalty and talent that makes Chatters successful, and that is why we want to ensure we provide our team members with the very best environment. Wishing you the very best of luck on your journey with Chatters!

Productive and fun with the table

Chatters Salon is the highly recommended salon in Fort McMurray, most specially to those client who looking for professional , honest, kind and well trained stylist and beauty consultant.

Pros

2 Days off

Chatters doesn't care!

Where to begin! When I first started at Chatters in 2017, I had very minimal issues with the company. The company had decent morale, and they seemed to care about their employees (as much a big company could). As time progressed, however, things changed drastically. What once was a family atmosphere turned into a cold and rigged corporate nightmare.There is absolutely no job security at Chatters. Management will often cut hours for both Beauty Consultants and stylists with no notice, and expect you to be okay with it. Management also will schedule Beauty Consultants based on who they like and not on their actual job performance. Beauty Consultant schedules were also made with minimal notice, and often changed with the same minimal notice. Don't expect any raises either. Even the longest standing employees never got raises, or if they did, it was taken away. Store management gossips about their employees to other managers, as well as employees themselves. Upper management is also guilty of gossiping about other managers, and other employees. When I first started, store managers were competent at their jobs and were more professional. Chatters has now basically stopped from promoting within, and have been hiring managers from outside the company who aren't very competent or professional. Communication between head office, and various levels of management is very lacking. The company has become very disorganized and a non-supportive atmosphere to stylists and Beauty Consultants alike. The product discount and being able to get your hair done is the best part of working -

Pros

product discount

Cons

No job security, unprofessional management

Stay only within 2 years for beginners, good for part timer.

Worked for 10 years. Had fun and great experience for first 4yrs, other company took this Chatters over and company down hill.Always saying “for employees” but only for company and managers. Sick and tired of their speech in front of people, pretending they are nice people but no heart. There is not a single manager has heart believe me. For the first 2 years great for apprentice stylist, but don’t stay more than that, they don’t care your future, there is no going higher than “top stylist in salon”, unless you are a great pet of higher management. Do not complaint anything to manager and she will come to you and say “the DOOR is open” They are looking for saving money out of your pocket so GOOD LUCK. Commission never goes 54% there is hidden fee 8%. They never call when you leave after 10 years working. No one cares...

Pros

Flexibility, benefit

Cons

Wage (trick sneaky) manager’ game.

You dont get paid what is presented..sketchy pay stubs..missing money

They advertise up to 54% commission for stylists...this is not true..take 8% off for hidden fees and 2 dollars per service .watch your pay stub like a hawk and good luck deciphering it or resolving any issues regarding your pay.

Pros

Some good people, some not

Cons

pay errors and missing money

Pay people for the work & effort you expect from them

I first joined Chatters because I was very drawn in by their promise of being an environmentally friendly salon. They only recycle select service related products. There is no recycling done for the excessive amount of empty product bottles from the back bar, any of the other excessive paper & plastic waste from retail inventory and admin supplies. Very frustrating to see.You likely will not get paid what you're worth, especially without a fight - I frequently hear from my coworkers that "raises never happen". If you have a nice manager and district leader, they'll constantly tell you how thankful and appreciative they are of all your hard work and initiative to meet goals. If praise means more to you than a respectable wage, you're in the right spot! They'll run an individual employee to the ground without paying adequately if you let them, so be ready to utilize the greatest weapon in your arsenal, "No."Scheduling is barely done a week in advance for our location, which makes it hard to schedule appointments or work a second job to compensate for hours you may or may not get at Chatters. It frequently feels like I'm an on-call employee with the amount of short notice shift changes and calls to come in.The discount on products & services is very nice, and I enjoy the access to many of the products to be able to sell them better after a personal experience.The clients can be amazing and sweet, but you'll deal with a fair amount of people who blame you for the stylist's work because "you" scheduled them with that stylist.

Pros

Coworkers, product/service discount

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, no work/life balance

2 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the amazing perks employees receive such as complimentary haircuts, 90% off services, and 40% off all regularly priced retail items! It is also great to hear that you were able to build meaningful connections with your team members and our wonderful guests. We truly believe in inspiring our guests and employees to look good, feel good, and do good! At Chatters we believe it is important to evolve with our guests and employees, Thank you for your feedback on the importance of sustainability. We are proudly a certified Green Circle salon, which allows us to recycle 80% of the waste acquired from every hair service! Green Circle Salons transform beauty waste into a desirable commodity as they re-purpose hair for oil spill clean up and manufacturing of bio-plastic, recycle colour tubes and used foils and turn hair colour by-product into new sources of energy. Your feedback is crucial to us as we continue to build a culture that encourages growth, development and collaboration. We are disappointed to hear that you feel as though your experience wasn't always that, so we'd like to learn more! Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with any further comments, concerns or suggestions.

Poor Managment

I worked at Chatters as a hairstylist for a couple of years and eventually I got fed up and left. The employees (stylists and front desk) at the location I worked at were wonderful and probably the only reason I stayed as long as I did. The main problems are seen in management. Upper management belittles store level staff, act like they are better than everyone at store level, do not care about employees at all, gossip about other employee/stores, when concerns or issues are brought to their attention they will either ignore the problem or simply didn't care and do nothing about it. Store level employees are seen as disposable. As for store management, this based on which location you are at but the location I worked at store management has huge bias/favoritism and they gossip about other employees. The managers at my location were not properly trained in professionalism or how to be good managers. In the company, there are huge gaps in communication, no opportunity for wage increase or advancement, there is zero job security (management will cut you from full time hours to 15 hours a week like nothing or warning) and huge false positivity. For hairstylists, the only bonuses are they are decent health care benefits, RRSP matching and free education.

Pros

Decent Benefits, Free Education, RRSP Matching

Cons

Management, Poor Wage, No Advancement, No Job Security, False Positivity

2 March 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. At Chatters, we strive to provide the best experience we can for our team. Our dedication to creating a collaborative environment for all is what sets us apart in the beauty industry. We are happy to hear that you were able to build meaningful relationships with your co-workers! We are growing quickly, which at times presents its challenges. We'd like to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with any further comments, concerns or suggestions.

Excellent place to work as district leader

This company has a great culture that truly focuses on each individual's progression. Teamwork is exercised on all levels from everyone to ensure the best experience for both our employees and our guests. Definitely a company that has put together a great team of cooperate partners, everyone from the director of sales, HR, operations, communications and visual merchandising are collaborative and present. This level of skill set and talent at my disposal as a district leader is reassuring to me. Having the support of your cooperate partners in your personal success and growth at this level is rare in retail. Chatters has made sure everyone at all levels is supported.

Pros

collaborative culture, consistent communication. continuous learning and development

2 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your experience and we are glad to learn that Chatters is providing a supportive and collaborative environment. Chatters is a community of Style Happy artists and we love providing our team members with opportunities to learn and grow together. Wishing you the very best on your journey with Chatters and thank you again for your valued feedback.

Forward thinking company revolutionizing the beauty game!

Forward-thinking company that truly has a focus on ensuring their employees feel good and love where they work. Working to be a more sustainable company everyday, Chatters is a GREEN CIRCLE salon, recycling all they can and being as green as possible. Chatters has a competitive edge when it comes to compensation plans where it pays to perform, and invests in each employees growth, including Stylists with free education and programs year-round, keeping employees engaged and inspired.Career paths are endless. Company truly recognizes great talent.

Pros

Education, Green Circle, Benefits, Chairty donation, employee incentives, Support teams, Stylist development, career advancement opportunities

2 March 2021
Such a thoughtful review! We love that you appreciate our efforts to be an Environmentally Sustainable Salon, creating #StyleHappy moments, not waste!At Chatters we believe knowledge is power! Keeping an eye on what is trending and developing your skill is one of the keys to success. As part of the Chatters Stylist Community, our team members get the support, career opportunities and FREE education that they deserve as an industry professional.Wishing you continued success on your journey with Chatters, and thank you again for your feedback!

Fun atmosphere, great team leaders, A+ education

Fun atmosphere, team leader super supportive, amazing education. Chatters really wants to invest in there stylist and help grow there business. Great work place for an apprentice hairstylist or a season stylist.

Pros

Great Education

4 February 2021
We appreciate your feedback. At Chatters we believe experience is everything, for both our guest and our employees! We are thrilled to hear that your journey with us has been nothing short of amazing. Wishing you continued success on your journey with Chatters!

Stay as far away from this company as you can.

I worked for Chatters as a stylist for a number of years before I just couldn't take it anymore and left. Everything that the company prides itself on in the interview process is no longer practice for this company. The minute the old CEO stepped down is when everything took a turn for the worst. What was a family focused business that made you feel comfortable and have a good work/life balance while feeling like you mattered is all gone. Everything is about numbers and if you aren't preforming to their unrealistic standards, you will constantly be made to feel like your job is on the line from upper management. There is zero job security at all, even if you're one of the more booked stylists. Zero room for advancement as well. Their ranking system for stylists is not based at all on skill, it's all about how much money you pull in for the company. So you could have a stylist that's worked there for 10 years with almost every single bit of knowledge under their belt ranked as an intermediate stylist, where as when they are desperate to hire they will bring someone in as a master stylist when their work output isn't nearly as good just because they want to lock in the hire. If you like making minimum wage in your career with no ability of getting a raise, while not even being paid enough to balance the cost of living, this is the company for you! Apprentices are treated like dirt on the floor from upper management, and if they need help they don't receive it. Hours get cut back so badly that any stylist willing to help teach the apprentice isn't able to because the "hours aren't -

Pros

Free online education

Cons

Unfair pay, no work life balance, unrealistic expectations

4 February 2021
Thank you for your feedback. At Chatters we believe experience is everything, for both our guest and our employees. Through anonymous employee engagement surveys and our "Focus on You" initiative we’ve been focused on listening and understanding how we can continue to make positive changes within our company and help lead a transformation in the hair and beauty industry. Our dedication to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all is what sets us apart in the beauty industry! Your feedback is crucial to us building a working culture that would encourage team members to see Chatters as their second home. We are disappointed to hear about your experience, we'd like to learn more! Please feel free to reach out to recruitment@chatters.ca with any further comments, concerns or suggestions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chatters Limited Partnership. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement