Chatters Limited Partnership Employee Reviews

Untrustworthy nonconfidential management.
Apprentice Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 May 2019
Coworkers information was continuously shared with other staff members via manager and district manager including health history, employers reasoning for time off and other general gossip. Unprofessional and clearly lacking in funds which reflected harshly on minimum wage employees. A good place to start out hair, but not at all a long term job placement.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
non confidentiality
Honestly, I wasted three years spinning in circles.
Full time hairstylist at the salon (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2019
Where to start. First I’d like to start off by saying, This place gives me anxiety. Every day was a high school dramedy with absolutely no one to turn to. Your managers tell the head office, head office bullies you into thinking YOU'RE the problem, not them. It’s your classic a abusive relationship. I loved my team, but the management made me feel as though I was a peon in the game of numbers and the only thing that matters is sales. Absolutely 0 support for the stylist staff, I didn’t feel appreciated, and I felt like I never did enough. They kept hiring new people, and you get pushed out, Making commission nearly impossible. I had number programs that I had to download on my phone, so they could make sure you know how terrible you have done for the week.I was belittled in the back room, with my name plastered for all other employees to see how my progress was not as good as anyone else. I was so stressed every, single, day. Bullying me into constantly thinking I’m the issue and then coming home to only be stressed around my family, over work, was enough to make me leave this place for good. I value humanity and empathy, and at chatters, you will never get that. You are a number. Nothing more.in the end I had to leave. Value yourself. You’re worth it!
Pros
Education, fairly flexible with hours, benefits
Cons
Hard to make money, no support for staff, feel like you’re replaceable
Could have been a great job
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 May 2019
if you are thinking about applying for the bookkeeping job think twice. Treated disrespectful, yelled at and there is no other right way but her way. Make sure you use the correct color highlighter and be prepared to do everything the long hard way. Not at all professional and just plain mean.
Pros
The dog is nice
Cons
Poor treatmemt
What the average day looks like for myself:
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 April 2019
Arrive at 8am, conduct opening duties and prepare store to open. Organize orders and receive them as they arrive to our location.
Multitask between helping customers and answering phones
stylist
Senior Stylist (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC28 April 2019
good company to work for. fun team with lots of continued education available at each stylists convenience. Work is solely based on individual work ethics the Commission/ hourly wage ratio is great for any one who is starting to build a clientele. the company maintains both Daily and Monthly incentives and reviews on client retention verse walk in clientele. As much as Hairdressing is mainly based on individual performance of skills, the company feels strongly on continued staff support within each salon. The company offers commissions and incentives on retail sold. Chatters has a good medical dental program, most hair salons do not offer at all.
Awful management
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 April 2019
All I can say is DRAMA drama drama. Workes there for way to long. 3 years and all you got was drama, bullying and terrible management who would do most of the bullying. Didnt get paid near enough to deal with that evey day.
Do not value stylists
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB31 March 2019
I have been working for Chatters for a year and never seem to make commission. They take 8% off chemical servicea and $2 from every service before figuring commision. Your days off are split so you never get a real weekend. You get sent home early because it is too slow and they keep hiring new stylists.
Benefits
Cons
Schedule and pay.
I just answered phones and swept
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 March 2019
I want there long I was unhappy with the way the staff treated me and also not being able to help customers as much as I wanted. I just ended up sweeping and stocking
Cons
Rude staff
Loved it
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 March 2019
I loved working at Chatters. I enjoyed the work and the people that I worked with. I would recommend anyone to work there and would say that those next to work there will enjoy it.
Awful. If i could give 0 stars I would
Intermediate Stylist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 February 2019
my location couldn't hold on to a manager, the rules kept changing and the over all experience was chaotic and unorganized. Ive never worked anywhere this stressful, not only is there bullying constantly but the drama was like high school. The managers were all apart of it as well.
Cons
small paychecks, no overtime, terrible managment
Ultimately a waste of time - Avoid
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 January 2019
Worked there for a year and a half and ran every machine they had.
Stock pickers, reach truck and forklifts

loaded trucks, trained people, did invoicing, and just a huge array of duties and i got payed 17 bucks and hour.

my fellow operators were payed 15 - 16

I was also a team lead.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Feeling completely unappreciated or acknowledged
Drama and bullying
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2019
Don’t ever work for chatters they are nothing but drama especially the Bayshore location. They will create lies and bully you into either quitting or fire you on false pretences.
Great coworkers - horrible management and employment growth
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2019
If you are looking for somewhere to start this is not a bad place. If you are hoping for a progressive career choice I would apply elsewhere. Management communication is sub par. Management’s interest in developing employees are only for high sale stores. You feel like your in constant fear of losing your job. No consistency with new operational changes. Also, extremely high turnover. No interest in the actual employee despite trying to change company culture. Although there is a bit of this in every job, I feel it’s more prevelant at Chatters. Retail employees are discarded easily and receive little to no recognition or development within the company. The individual store teams are fantastic, and are a blast to work with but there is a lot of room for improvement on corporate level. It’s still a wonderful company but if you are not coming in with already amazing skills and the ability to jump Chatters political hurdles you won’t be able to go anywhere.
Pros
Discount, benefits, great store teams, fun working environment, great smelling stores
Cons
Bad management, high turn over, little development for retail employees, lots of politics, constant changes, too many people trying to manage
has changed since my employment
hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC16 January 2019
Busy salon so lots of experience gained. Well established in the community. Well managed. Great stylists. Could use more staffing. Location of this salon has changed when I was there.
Great company
RECEPTION & BEAUTY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB.7 January 2019
Very busy environment with a great staff to work with. Management was very approachable and provided a great culture to work in. Great location and free parking.
Really Bad Immature Managers
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
I loved the job in general, I loved what I did. Talking to people was my favorite part and helping them find the appropriate product for them was a blessing. When it came to management on the other hand, they were very immature. Always on their phones when customers needed assistance. They were never able to keep any employees for very long at all. Pouted when they had to do "manager work"
Pros
great customers
Cons
terrible management
Productive and fun working place
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB29 November 2018
It is a great company with great people. I had a great experience working for the company. Very friendly people and very caring management. Head office location is remote but the building is nice.
Good for passing time
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2018
Unless you're a stylist, they don't treat you very well. Bonuses, better wages, and benefits are better for a part-time stylist than a part-time receptionist. Management is fluff, they do a lot of talk but no action and have preferences for bubbles than ethic. They offer a good discount for employees, but even that is inconsistent where you work. One manager could say wait for 3 month probation and that same one (if they like a new employee), they will give the discount right away.

There is no environment of "teamwork" anywhere, let alone cohesion between salon and reception. Poor layout and work experience overall. The only way you get "bonuses" is you have to constantly upsell customers extra products $6+ only to get $1 on your paycheque.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Poor management
Great workers, awful head office management
Assistant Manager/ Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Shawnessy, AB6 September 2018
Honestly, I loved working at chatters. The people who I worked with where amazing and I still have life long friends from it. I personally put my heart and soul into the Shawnessy location with little to absolutely no return. The issue is poor management and wages. Head office rarely comes into the stores but seems to have a lot of opinions and changes to each location. The head office employees are also very tight knit through out the company, so if you have an issue with a higher up manager, its sloughed off/ disregarded and you are the one who ends up in the dog house.
Pros
discounts on hair products/ services
Cons
No growth room, bad benefits, minimum wage without increases.
Drama
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 August 2018
There is all girls working there, which makes for some very drama filled days and rude at sometimes. However for the most part it was a fun and relaxed atmosphere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chatters Limited Partnership. Our community is ready to answer.