Chatime Employee Reviews

Tiring job but co-workers make it worth-while
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2019
There are many shifts and they are very flexible and try to work around your schedule. You make minimum wage but you get a very small bump in wage the longer you work there.

The job can be very physically tiring and can be overwhelming when it gets super busy, but you'll get used to it. Management could use some work, my manager was pretty strict sometimes but they're alright since they don't come by the store often.

The hardest part was handling/closing procedure/prepping tapioca, tea and toppings with long lines while being understaffed, the only thing making it manageable is my co-workers and getting paid.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, flexible schedule, nice co-workers
Cons
Physically tiring, understaffed, low wage
fun with coworkers but management is a mess.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2019
i've been working at chatime for almost a year. I got the hang of it fairly quickly after a few weeks of training. I got trained through head office and our first day on the job was a busy day because of the BOGO promo for the newer locations.

the head office trainers had a lot of patience for us, which I liked because i was comfortable around them. however, when i was being taught by another manager, it was completely different and told me not to follow head office. um?

Overall, my coworkers were the best part of working here. I also liked meeting customers.
the hardest part i would say is staying late till closing. and also being understaffed on a day that isnt supposed to be 'busy'. uber eats orders + long lineups + long orders gets crazy sometimes.

theres not much benefits you get while working here besides the free bubble tea lol. and also staff discount card isnt given to all staff, ONLY team leads/supervisors. you get discount at the specific location you work at, however you wont get the staff card if you arent a supervisor unfortunately.
Pros
free bubble tea during your shift
Cons
no staff discount card given to regular members, only supervisors.
Amazing coworkers and fun shifts, but management could be better
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2019
There are many positions you could be working at Chatime: cashier, person making the drinks, person prepping the ingredients, etc. The job itself is not difficult, but depending on which location you work, it could get really hectic and busy. The coworkers were great and everyone had a great time working together, but management could be a lot better. There are lots of different shifts so it's good for someone who is still in school. However, there is not much room for growth so doing the same thing everyday could become stale very quickly.
Pros
fun coworkers, free drinks, staff discount
Cons
physically tiring sometimes, bad management
Enjoyable Job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 January 2019
Positions :
Cashier, Runner (get toppings, hand out drinks), Shaker (Make the drinks), Prep/Back (Make tapioca, tea)

Good training on how to prepare toppings, drinks, cleaning procedures and general information
Pros
25% employee discount, unlimited shift drinks, fun environment, nice co workers
Cons
Long closing shifts (until 2 am at times), disrespectful management
good and fun place for part time
tearista (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK15 January 2019
typical day:
make tapioca, tea and milk tea
prepare drinks
be as a cashier
clean and maintenance

fun time with co-workers and it's a good place for students to start a part time job
Pros
free drinks
Cons
short hours for part-time
Chatime Job
Tearista (Current Employee) –  Toronto11 November 2018
Coworkers are what made the job very interesting and fun, unlimited drinks on shift gave me the opportunity to try more things, huge kitchen, but poor managers, who have no sense of customer service at all.
Chatime
weekly sales and ensured daily food safety (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 November 2018
Prepared ingredients, tea base and merchandise for store opening
Promoted weekly sales and ensured daily food safety
Maintained, ordered and stocked inventory for daily operation
Work independently, interdependently and participates as contributing member across work teams
Unfair Termination for On-the-Job Training
Tearista (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 October 2018
I honestly love Chatime. However, as a new employee who just started their on-the-job training for only TWO days, I receive an email the following day about my termination. Which is very absurd and unfair. What happened to allowing your new employees the sufficient time to actually learn and grasp the given tools, guidance, support and training needed to improve their overall performance?

Not only that but the trainers are very rude and are poorly structured. There was no plan or direction other than informing you all of the cleaning procedures and how to make tapioca/pearls. After that, they just assume you right away know how to make the cold/warm/hot drinks. If you don't then.. SAYONARA.

During the first on-the-job training, you would expect that all NEW employees would make mistakes. And that is what I obviously did. Of course, I have learned from those mistakes. And during the following night, I literally tried to practice more from my written notes of the Chatime Training Manual..

On the second day, all we did was clean, clean, clean, make fresh tapioca/pearls, and did some small Q&A. At the end of almost 30min of our shift, we were only able to make 1 drink and that's it. What took me off guard is how the trainer sharply criticizes our performances (when we literally did NOTHING other than, clean, make tapiocas/pearls, and some Q&A) saying we are still lacking/ incompetent with our performance. I mean what would you expect?

1) We are still learning so obviously it will take time for us to learn and grasp everything. PLUS, this was our second
  more... day of training.

2) AGAIN.. all we did was clean, make tapiocas/pearls and did some Q&A.

Then the following day I receive an email about my termination? Are you serious? So much for loving Chatime and for seeing myself progress and grow with them in the long-term...
very drama working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2018
too much drama for a part-time working place.
If you are a person just looking for a fun and easy place to work, dont go Chatime, the management wasn't good, also there were too much drama between employees.
A good place for part-time job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 August 2018
A small drinking shop with friendly co-worker and management.
Chatime (Chinese: 日出茶太) is a Taiwanese global franchise teahouse chain based in Taiwan. It operates 1,002 outlets in 30 countries. In 2006, it opened its first store outside of Taiwan in California, and it has since expanded to China (PRC), Malaysia, Canada, Indonesia, the Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, India, Dubai, Japan, and Korea, among others. Its expansion and growth model is through franchising.
Busy, fast-paced work environment
Barista/Bartender/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 June 2018
There are days where it will be particularly busy, and times where there will be very little customers. It was an adaptable, fast-paced job, but don't take it lightly - to be able to work you must be willing to memorize the syrup/sugar levels for every drink and the cooking procedure for all the teas and toppings.
Fun work place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON4 June 2018
Friendly staff members and ability to improve skills. Learned how to take down orders as well as work the cash register. Job is very enjoyable because of all the people you meet.
Great environment, good experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2018
Typical day consist of performing specific duties and responsibilities split among those working. Either preparing, cleaning, stocking, or serving customers. Employees and mangers are considerate and nice. Workplace culture was great and most enjoyable part of the job was flexibility and company.
part time job
cashier and barista (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 April 2018
it is a good place for anyone who enjoys this environment and wants a couple bucks. it is a fast paced environment and can get really messy. the place is small and everyone has to be comfortable with one another
Pros
environment
Cons
management
Productive and fun workplace
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 March 2018
A good and friendly environment to work in, although it does get very busy and stressful during later hours. Surrounded by a friendly staff who supports each other constantly.
Loud and busy atmosphere with customers constantly coming in
Tearista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2018
Overall, I would recommend this job to beginners with no experience to people with lots of experiences. Once you worked at chatime, all the other jobs will be pretty simple.

Some tasks:
Cashier, Runner (get toppings, prepare the beginning of the drinks, hand out drinks), Shaker (Make the drinks), Prep/Back (Make tapioca, tea, smoothies, etc.
Clean Clean Clean Restock Restock Restock

It gets really busy sometimes and it can get out of control if there are not enough people working.

I gained multiple skills such as customer service, teamwork, communication, problem solving.

The pay is minimum but can be increased! I love creating my own bubble tea drinks!

Working at Chatime part time and school full time is manageable because the minimum days are 3 shifts per week and each shiftis around 6-7 hrs.
Pros
Unlimited drinks during shift, can bring home one drink, 25% off employee discount, fun working environment, can create own recipes
Cons
long hours (work till 1am and then clean...), management is ok, busy and fast paced
passion for customer service
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 January 2018
warmly welcome customers upon entry to the store in a friendly manner, casually engaged customers in conversation to understand the purpose of the needs
Experiences working at Chatime
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2017
Working at Chatime was a very new experience for me, as it was my first paying job. I was able to interact and build relationships with my fellow employees very well and got along with the manager. Facing customers on a daily basis was not a problem for me at all, as I enjoyed the interactions with different personalities. I was able to adapt to different kinds of people in order to make them feel welcome and was also able to teach new employees as well. I had no problem teaching new employees on the skills needed in order to properly work at their stations and was able to memorize the required amounts needed for every ingredient. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and building friendships with my fellow employees. The environment at Chatime was very quick paced but manageable at the same time.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Not enough sleep/ time to catch up with school work due to getting off work in the A.M.
it's a family
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto15 June 2017
teamwork and good service is our duty. management is my main duty. everybody work like family, treat each other like a friend. the pay is lowest by low but it's can cover and save some in my life.
Productive workplace
Supervisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2017
• Recruited and trained new employee
• Managed the bubble tea shop by distributing jobs
• Learned the proper way to interacted with customers
• Well organized lead to prosper in business
Pros
rapport atmosphere
Cons
work till midnight

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chatime. Our community is ready to answer.