Chatime

Chatime Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
really fun place to work
my managers were super friendly and always very helpful and understanding. at first, it was intimidating to learn all of the drink procedures but after a couple of weeks it's really worth it.
Easy to learn and colleague are friendly.
Supervisors were very kind and patient, they taught me how the whole process works, from cashier to make the drinks. The work environment is good. Customers usually came in specific hours, which makes you very busy, but you would feel time went very fast.
Standard minimum wage job with good co-workers and iffy management. Little to no chance of a raise/advancement
I'm not good with paragraph formatting, so I'll break this up into sections

Training

Arguably the least fun part of working at chatime, where you'll be expected to memorize many drink recipes and procedures. Depending on who's training you, it may make or break your time there

Normal work day

You'll learn to perform many tasks at the same time, as there are rarely enough people working all four roles (runner, shaker, cash, prep/back) at the same time. Multitasking and being quick/efficient are extremely important, as rushes can be hectic and can come out of nowhere.

Work Culture

One of the best parts about the chatime that I worked in is that everyone was friendly. Most people there are either in highschool or uni/college, so everyone clicked quite easily. Management on the other hand, was alright at best, as they were quite overbearing if you were new. It got better over time, but they were still critical about the silliest of things

Pay

Minimum wage (base) with little advancement or raises

Hours

Generally flexable, though if you get closing shifts, it might be a little stressful if you have morning classes. The store closes quite late, roughly around midnight, and you'll be around for roughly 30-50 minutes after the store closes, depending on how busy it was
Pros
Free tea on shift and you can take a drink home (or multiple, depending on whos in charge), Reasonable schedule flexibility for students, Friendly co-workers
Cons
Little to no chance of advancement, occasionally understaffed, small working area
Coworkers were highly capable, but management was not the best
Postive: very friendly, coworkers are very knowledgable, customers are also very friendly (may help to be able to speak mandarin or cantonese for some customers)
Negative: management was not the best, part-time workers would be overworked and would have more hours per week than full-time workers, management once used tips to buy company products, and mangagemnats literal motto is to "save money". (must give your all to work here)
Clean working environment
The working environment is very clean and everyone cleans it up every day. The relationship between employees is also very friendly.
Chatime Barista
Pros: - Great Management
- Great Coworkers

- Management accommodates for your availability and gives you the days you book off

Cons: - low wage for the amount of work you do

- no benefits

- hard work
Productive and fun workplace
Hard at first but got the hang of it. It was intimidating at first but with training and work experience the job became easier. Was an enjoyable experience
Management is horrible
The work culture here is beyond toxic. Management is always on a power trip and doesn't care about the workers that are running and maintaining the store.

One day the manager will tell you the mistakes that you made were permissible so long as you correct them, the next day they'll fire you. They'll have you help train some new employees, then let you go. There is no job security and you're always in constant fear over losing your job. Even on a slow day and you're done with the day's cleaning, if the manager is there you gotta be wiping or cleaning something. Slow day? Talking to your coworkers? No go.

I only liked this job for 3 reasons: the friends that I've made there, money, and how easy it was. Sure there were busy days, but as long as you and your team are efficient, it's tolerable.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Physically tiring, understaffed, low wage
Productive and fun place to work
A fast paced workplace with a great management team that will listen to you, your concerns and ideas. I recommend this place for anyone who enjoys the bubble tea culture!! :)
Productive and fun workplace
The fast-paced working environment is the hard part but also the fun part of this job. The coworkers are friendly and helpful with new employees training.
Productive and fun
i was happy that i experienced working in those kind of job. that was my first job in the phillippines and i learned a lot about customer service and a making beverages
Simple tasks but difficult environment
A lot of time is spent preparing and making bubble tea for customers therefore the job was pretty easy to learn and maintain. The location that I worked at did not have a great management team and the workplace became a place where you can't make a mistake at all for fear of losing hours or your job. Other locations may not be the same situation. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the management while the most enjoyable was doing the actual work.
Nice part time job for students
If you're applying to a new location, you'll be dealing with BOGO immediately, despite knowing little to nothing, which can be very overwhelming and hectic. Luckily, the trainers are very friendly and patient.

There are four main positions at Chatime: cash (taking orders), runner (handing drinks out, preparing toppings and bases), shaker (making the drinks), and prep (cooking tapioca, brewing tea, making smoothies, etc.). None of these positions are entirely difficult to master, though it becomes annoying when there aren't enough staff scheduled... you'll find yourself working two positions at once, and if it gets super busy, you will not have time to start cleaning/preparing for closing, meaning you will not leave your shift on time.

I definitely enjoy the work culture at Chatime, co-workers were great, and the majority of customers are friendly. Management was flexible in regards to hours during the school year, though management isn't the best.

Tip: I suggest bringing paper and pen if you make it to training! You'll be expected to make lots of notes!
Pros
Unlimited drinks on shift, 25% discount, flexible hours
Cons
Unable to give discount to family/friends when on shift, understaffed, closing late
tearista
good environment to work in, fast paced, awesome management and great co workers as well. Can be extremely stressful at times, but you work through it.
stressful
When I was still a few days new, I was already made to work alone, then they would confront me for everything I did wrong, even though I technically should still be in training.

I never got paid after store hours. I would have to clean and close the store by myself which took an extra hour or so. Went home at 12 am some nights during school nights.

Prepping the store for opening was incredibly stressful especially when working alone. They expected us to be at work an hour before opening, but cooking the tapioca took longer than that. Never paid when coming early.

I got free bubble tea during work. If the store was particularly empty,I could do whatever.
Pros
free bubble tea
Cons
stressful, understaffed, poor management
Tiring job but co-workers make it worth-while
There are many shifts and they are very flexible and try to work around your schedule. You make minimum wage but you get a very small bump in wage the longer you work there.

The job can be very physically tiring and can be overwhelming when it gets super busy, but you'll get used to it. Management could use some work, my manager was pretty strict sometimes but they're alright since they don't come by the store often.

The hardest part was handling/closing procedure/prepping tapioca, tea and toppings with long lines while being understaffed, the only thing making it manageable is my co-workers and getting paid.
Pros
Free drinks on shift, flexible schedule, nice co-workers
Cons
Physically tiring, understaffed, low wage
fun with coworkers but management is a mess.
i've been working at chatime for almost a year. I got the hang of it fairly quickly after a few weeks of training. I got trained through head office and our first day on the job was a busy day because of the BOGO promo for the newer locations.

the head office trainers had a lot of patience for us, which I liked because i was comfortable around them. however, when i was being taught by another manager, it was completely different and told me not to follow head office. um?

Overall, my coworkers were the best part of working here. I also liked meeting customers.

the hardest part i would say is staying late till closing. and also being understaffed on a day that isnt supposed to be 'busy'. uber eats orders + long lineups + long orders gets crazy sometimes.

theres not much benefits you get while working here besides the free bubble tea lol. and also staff discount card isnt given to all staff, ONLY team leads/supervisors. you get discount at the specific location you work at, however you wont get the staff card if you arent a supervisor unfortunately.
Pros
free bubble tea during your shift
Cons
no staff discount card given to regular members, only supervisors.
Amazing coworkers and fun shifts, but management could be better
There are many positions you could be working at Chatime: cashier, person making the drinks, person prepping the ingredients, etc. The job itself is not difficult, but depending on which location you work, it could get really hectic and busy. The coworkers were great and everyone had a great time working together, but management could be a lot better. There are lots of different shifts so it's good for someone who is still in school. However, there is not much room for growth so doing the same thing everyday could become stale very quickly.
Pros
fun coworkers, free drinks, staff discount
Cons
physically tiring sometimes, bad management
Enjoyable Job
Positions :
Cashier, Runner (get toppings, hand out drinks), Shaker (Make the drinks), Prep/Back (Make tapioca, tea)

Good training on how to prepare toppings, drinks, cleaning procedures and general information
Pros
25% employee discount, unlimited shift drinks, fun environment, nice co workers
Cons
Long closing shifts (until 2 am at times), disrespectful management
good and fun place for part time
typical day:
make tapioca, tea and milk tea

prepare drinks

be as a cashier

clean and maintenance

fun time with co-workers and it's a good place for students to start a part time job
Pros
free drinks
Cons
short hours for part-time
Chatime Job
Coworkers are what made the job very interesting and fun, unlimited drinks on shift gave me the opportunity to try more things, huge kitchen, but poor managers, who have no sense of customer service at all.