Chartwells Employee Reviews

Found 93 reviews matching the search See all 1,472 reviews
Travelling Circus run by untrained monkeys!
Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2019
A complete joke of a company. All they care about is the $$$$ bottom line.
Empty promises from the operations manager who crawled out of the barrel of monkeys they have for upper management.
Pros
Cons
Most of it
Mauvais ambiance administrative
Aide générale (Former Employee) –  Outremont, QC28 March 2019
Bel expérience au début, bon équipe de travail, le reste je vous laisse découvrir afin de respecter la confidentialité.
Pros
Bel équipe, bon chef cuisinier
Cons
Taches pas égales, salaire, des avis disciplinaires sans raison, mauvaise attitude, harcèlement
okay
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 March 2019
This Job is okay. not the greatest pay not the greatest benefits.. management is poor. not a year round job.. not many chances for management positons.
Chef isn’t really a chef
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON13 March 2019
The chef that works there isn’t really a chef and is also kinda a rude person who won’t let you ask questions to her at all but overall good company to work for
Cons
Chef
Excellent Place to Work
Resident District Manager at Chartwells (Current Employee) –  Simon Fraser University11 March 2019
I have worked for Compass Group for over 15 years, and with Chartwells for many of those years. During my career I have met a lot of amazing staff and worked with some very talented managers. The food industry is not the easiest industry to work in, and some days can be long hours, but if you put in the hard work the rewards are there! I love the people I work with and within Chartwells we get to work with a lot of energetic and inspiring students, who make the daily grind a lot of fun.

I would recommend Chartwells as a good employer if you are hard working and dedicated to making a difference in peoples lives through Food.
Pros
Exciting work environment, great people
Cons
Strict audit programs
Fellow staff were amazing
Server (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON27 February 2019
While working with Chartwells they had good shift times, a good supervisor, and good employees, so close to home I could walk there. Supervisor was good to talk to about anything.
Great place to work at
Server/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2019
Great place to work at, fast and easy to understand and really straight forward as to what is needed to be done. Management is easy to talk too whenever something is needed.
Baker
Baker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 December 2018
The job was fun, however the demands were too much to handle. I had to leave due to exhaustion. I feel if there were more than 2 bakers than the job would have been good.
Productive young students
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 October 2018
When working in the store I helped with stocking and being the cashier. Management left me to look after the store on the afternoon shift. Decorated for each occasion which was a very enjoyable time. The hardest work was stocking the fridge. I also worked in the residence cafeteria which was a lot of cleaning and serving of the food at different stations. Tried to accommodate all students with the different types of food available. The cleaning at the end of the night was a very long procedure.
Pros
always a smile on some of the students faces
Cons
doing the food prep
I enjoyed the students
Lunch lady (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
It was a easy job but supervisor made for non nice work environment. It was a very convenient job easy to get to. I would have kept the job but supervisors let her authority get to her head and had to many double standards.
staff is fun
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 July 2018
waiting on customers, get to talk with the students and staff, some lifting is required, there is a lot of people on the management team, that are always around
Empresa agradável
Cater (Atendente) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Escócia, Canadá2 July 2018
Oportunidade de crescimento e desenvolvimento profissional, ambiente agradável, dinâmico, proporcionando uma jornada de trabalho leve e uma atmosfera acolhedora.
Pros
Ótima dinâmica
Great Company to work for.
Cafe Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 April 2018
Chartwells management treats everyone fairly, and they are very kind. I am happy to come to work everyday. There is a great balance between life and work.
Job Experience Working In My School Cafeteria
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 April 2018
I developed being able to serve quickly to customers, clean properly with scorching hot water along with soap. I also figured out how to properly break down boxes in order to be able to carry everything without dropping cardboard. If there ever is an offer in a school cafeteria I would recommend it.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Didn't get paid
Large site at the Red Deer College
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 February 2018
Started as a part-time cashier and advanced to Assistant Manager. Then advanced to managing Bower Ponds then Innisfail Country Lodge. When contract closed for Innisfail went back to the Red Deer College as Administrative Assistant until position was deleted.
Pros
Advancement
Toxic work environment
Lead night cook (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB14 February 2018
Management expects more than willing to pay for., always yelling and diminishing associates,. The best part of the job is the people that you meet and serve.16.40
Toxic work place
Lead cook (Former Employee) –  Olds Alberta14 February 2018
The management at Chartwells in Olds expects you too work longer hours than scheduled and not pay for it, ( we do not pay overtime), but stay until your work is completed,!! Management will not help but will yell and diminish you in front of customers.... Not cool
working with chartwells
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 January 2018
As it was a volunteering privilege i was not paid but was paid with free food at the end of working. The managers were very nice and very patient and taught you all your basic skills and needs.
Pros
free lunch, caring
Cons
rude customers
It used to be the best place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB9 January 2018
The Chartwells family fell apart when new management arrived. I had a secure job, though I was treated poorly in the end. I quit after the Manager sexually harassed me. After I found out that others got into trouble for speaking up, I felt it would have made my situation worse. I wish it was the family it used to be before the previous manager left.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits & decent coworkers
Cons
A toxic work environment because of management
Typical Day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stephenville, NL6 January 2018
I enjoy working for Chartwells..They give you the space to grow and learn new things everyday ..Management is awesome , I could not ask for better .The hours are not long , the work is not hard and the pay is somewhat decent .
Pros
Hours are not long
Cons
paper work