Chartwells Employee Reviews

Great Company to work for.
Cafe Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 April 2018
Chartwells management treats everyone fairly, and they are very kind. I am happy to come to work everyday. There is a great balance between life and work.
Job Experience Working In My School Cafeteria
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 April 2018
I developed being able to serve quickly to customers, clean properly with scorching hot water along with soap. I also figured out how to properly break down boxes in order to be able to carry everything without dropping cardboard. If there ever is an offer in a school cafeteria I would recommend it.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Didn't get paid
Toxic work place
Lead cook (Former Employee) –  Olds Alberta14 February 2018
The management at Chartwells in Olds expects you too work longer hours than scheduled and not pay for it, ( we do not pay overtime), but stay until your work is completed,!! Management will not help but will yell and diminish you in front of customers.... Not cool
working with chartwells
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 January 2018
As it was a volunteering privilege i was not paid but was paid with free food at the end of working. The managers were very nice and very patient and taught you all your basic skills and needs.
Pros
free lunch, caring
Cons
rude customers
It used to be the best place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB9 January 2018
The Chartwells family fell apart when new management arrived. I had a secure job, though I was treated poorly in the end. I quit after the Manager sexually harassed me. After I found out that others got into trouble for speaking up, I felt it would have made my situation worse. I wish it was the family it used to be before the previous manager left.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits & decent coworkers
Cons
A toxic work environment because of management
Typical Day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stephenville, NL6 January 2018
I enjoy working for Chartwells..They give you the space to grow and learn new things everyday ..Management is awesome , I could not ask for better .The hours are not long , the work is not hard and the pay is somewhat decent .
Pros
Hours are not long
Cons
paper work
Great job
Food Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON3 January 2018
Laied of too much not enough work going around for all the employees
Like the fast past environment tho.
Managers are often in the floor taking away work from others.
Awful place
Counter Attendant - Tim Hortons (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2017
Team member that have been there for the longest ridicule new staff. Talking behind your back right beside you and mocking. I found learning the environment to be easy and the customers were great, it was the other staff that was the most difficult to deal with.
general
Project Coordinator Home Depot (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2017
Its a amazing environment to work at , i usually go on time do my duty , staff's are super helpful , trained me well, taught me whatever i really needed in short period of time.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Short Hour
Do not work here
Catering/ Food service associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 November 2017
Benefits only apply if youre fulltime and they tell you this after they hire you.
Unstable hours.
not paid enough for the work you do.
Enormous waste of food
Very unorganized work space
One of my managers are cool, and the workers are cool in general
Pros
Only if youre full time.
Cons
unstable work hours
Productive place to work fun people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 September 2017
Good place to work .....
I put dishes away in there right spots
Changed milk in the machines
Changed pop syrups in the machines
Kept the dishroom clean and tidey
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short hours
Fast paced
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Campbellford, ON6 August 2017
This is a very busy work environment that involves a lot of hustle and bustle. Dealing with the students was the peak of my day. I found that this company had a lot of high expectations for a very low wage. The time off in the summer was great, especially with little kids.
Pros
Students and time off
Cons
Not enough money
good company poor management
Lead Sous-Chef (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2017
Great place to work with fun group of people. There is room to move within the company which is great. The benefits are good but the executive management are very difficult at this location and make it more challenging than what it has to be.
Pros
good benefits and group to work for
Cons
long hours, difficult executive management
Fun place
Customer Service Representative (part time) (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK25 June 2017
My time at Chartwells has been really a fun and exciting journey. As a student, it provided me with the perfect work and study balance. The management are really good.
fast paced
Porter Fanshawe College (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2017
working as a porter in a college is bound to keep you busy whether it be stocking up the restaurants, serving or cleaning up after caterings or cleaning the different kitchens and restaurants keeping busy was never hard
Poor senior leadership
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto24 May 2017
After spending 2 years I decided to leave and it was the best decision. If you are looking for an organisation that doesn't develop its people, is super political and where there isn't an open door policy this is your place
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Leadership, long hours, not development
fun place filled with friendly people
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 May 2017
Busy environment, friendly and fun people to work with.
I was able to learn how to organize my time better and how to communicate with not only my coworkers but customers as well.
It is inside Conestoga Doon campus, which makes it a fun place to work at. Can be difficult due to many students but the managers and the rest of the co-workers make it easier to deal with
Pros
Can eat many different foods
Cons
no guarantee hours for the summer
Very productive and fun working environment.
Fast Food Cook (Current Employee) –  Ada, OK4 May 2017
Prepare meals in school cafeteria. Nice friendly management and the culture on the workplace was simply to get the job done in a good time. hardest part of job would be the clean up process afterwards and that wasn't too bad at all. I learned a lot about culinary and a lot of responsibility from this job. I learned how to work better on a team in a work environment. Most enjoyable part of my job would have to be seeing a satisfied customer.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Long Hours and Short Staff
Always doing a different event.
Catering Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2017
Nice people for the most of it. They work with your school schedule so that is nice. They are not the most organized company though and they don't do the greatest job at training you when you are new. You kind of just get thrown in.
Pros
Free food and meals at times.
Cons
Can be long hours, on your legs and feet a lot. Can be a very physically tiring job.
ok
General Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 April 2017
ok work place I guess no raises or room to advance I don't really have much more to say on the subject, in 3 years no raise and they weren't very concerned.