Chartwells

Chartwells Employee Reviews

Canada119 reviews
Enjoyed being with the children and cooking for them.Loved to get there input on what they would like to have on the menu. Loved to have idea days with the kids.For example Hawaiin day.
Pros
Being with the kids
Cons
Alot of work for 1 person
This company is all about the $
I have work on Diferent place food related

And this company is worst by far

The wan you to make money no matter what

Serve poor food
Cons
There will be no advancement within the company. Management doesn't have the compassion needed for their role. Staff works within a schools setting therefore some discretion should be used by management when visiting.
This job shouldn't be relied on for a fulltime salary.
Not a great place to work, stressful, no benefits management they will yell at you, and expect way to much on little time ............... ...........
There is no typical day at work, We can learn so many things like handling cash, greeting people and we can meet so many new people everyday. The management was good, nice working culture, overall we can enjoy our job.
Upper management failed to be forthcoming on pretty much any issues with lower management and staff until the issues themselves became a larger problem.
It was very interesting and not my best work. I. did a lot of prepping food and washing dishes. I also learned many cleaning skills I can use in and out of the kitchen.
I got along great with everyone. My co workers, my supervisor and manager, I started to remember regular customers and how they took their coffee or tea, it was such a pleasure to be part of that group.
I was not fond of my management at all. The person running operations was grossly underqualified which made for a very difficult and stressful time on the job. The manner in which employees communicated was quite unprofessional, as well. I wish there had been a better screening process.
i found working for Chartwells stressful and very very disrespectful to staff. Management is never around during the day they do not have a supervisor working at all t any of the stores which should be mandatory!
There is a clock-in/out machine with a fingerprint scanner to confirm you are the correct worker, where your worked hours can be viewed on screen if you press the button for it.

Generally, you would go check the curent days food/order schedule to see what is going on that day and prepare for it. Depending on your position, this may be more or less relavent.

Typical break setup apart from when you can physically take them, but you are in fact owed your breaks. You take your break when it is possible to do so.

Due to the flow of customers, you will see and can chat with plenty of people throughout your day. Which can be both friendly and relaxing, and uncooperative and stressful. How you deal with people and internalize comments will greatly help/hinder you in those times.

Employers (management), is staff and typically paid salary. Whereas employees (non-management), are union workers and are paid hourly. Due to how unions work, seniority takes precedent when being scheduled and taken time off.

Vacation days, and availability for the part-time workers, must be filed in advance. Due to scheduling and checking for seniority, if multiple people are requesting some of the same days. This means some people might not get those days off. You could check up on the list with management to see if there is anyone else requesting the same day, to help plan ahead and make changes if required.

Sick days must be called in advance of at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled shift as to allow management sufficient time to reschedule someone. Although, if you are scheduled to
 - more...
Pros
Free Lunches or Dinner, depending on time of shift
Cons
Lunch / Dinner breaks aren’t scheduled, usually only available during down times
The job in itself is not hard or awful, it's the way you are treated by management. They were always following people around claiming we were all thieve or worse. I was even yelled at in front of customers. It was tolerable for a while, but at some point, for minimum wage; I'm not putting up with you dragging my name through the mud every day and working garbage inconsidtent hours. I would only consider working here maybe 2 times a week part time when the 'more difficult' supervisors and managers are known to be off.
Fast paced work environment, experience an asset but not mandatory. People are friendly to work with. Hours are short unless you get promoted to supervisor. Supervisory positions available occasionally.
For the work that you do,prep,cooking,cleaning,dishes,delivering food minimum wage is not worth it especially when the supervisor is making more for doing less. I was promised my job back when school was back in and I never got it they tried to put me in another school that just wouldn't work for me.
it doesnt support managers, we are expected to know things even though we have worked in other rwsturants all are different. hire new managers that are paid 2 to 3 dollors per hours then managers who have been with company 8 plusmuears. No bonuses.Expect mamagers to do inventory, payroll, ording, pay bills, met seritec requirements but dont give you supplies or info tomdo so, especiallu new managers. expect managers to do shopping and banking on own time. Keep kitchen spotless and always wear gloves to serve food and impossible when working alone and running cash. they give no room for loss of food e.g. we are only allowed to resell food after one day. Lots of waste which effects our inventory and we domt get to claim it as lost. No support.
helped me out while I was in between teaching positions. Fellow staff were kind for the most part with the exception of some jaded longterm employees who had gone through numerous changes of companies having worked for in that location.
Enjoyed working with Chartwells but the management was poor. Never scheduled properly and thought it was ok to just change whenever they wanted to. Otherwise great place to work
You start you day with cleaning and if anyone of the chefs or caterers need help you help them with their job. Cleaning the dishes was probably the hardest job. Its not the most consistent job but it requires you to know almost everything about chartwells and their positions.
Head office seems very unorganized. I enjoyed my manager and loved working with and for her. She was the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. Once she retired her job was replaced with one individual who would work with no help-hence end of my job.
Island manager was not a trust worthy manager. One day tell you one thing next day something different.
Her position went to her head. But would cheat to get you your food safety ND inventory for the company was a disaster.

Over all if I did not have to deal with her, job would have been perfect
I love the people i got to work with, and generally the atmosphere. My supervisor was very understanding and readily available if needed. Keeping up with the quotas was the hardest part. I worked in a small school that didnt always make the cut.