Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Review

View all Chartwell Retirement Residences reviews

Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee) –  guelph ontario15 May 2014
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise,
  more... to get Campbell's previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.

Other Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Worst company
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2018
This company promotes incompetent senior management who's main job is to belittle and intimidate the middle management. If not done the chartwell way you will be fired. To much pressure and sales focused rather than the true reason we are there for; the seniors. Don't work there....period
excellent work environment
Long Term Care Resident & Care Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2018
The corporate team is warm and supportive with a strong vision for shared goals and accountability - the ideal candidate for nurse consultant role must enjoy extensive travel assignments!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.