Chartwell Retirement Residences

Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Fun work place with low pay

The pay wasn't good and the manager didn't do her job right but otherwise the residents liked me and I got along great with the co-workers and the residents.

Pros

Meals

Cons

The rate

Great work culture!

I have been feeling welcome since the first day. Everyone, from management to my coworkers, is very kind and supportive to me. The residents are awesome. This is a great place to get your career started.

Pros

Most residents are independent.

Stressful, underpaid and unappreciated

Poor management styles (condescending tone, poor communication, abnormally high expectation)Extremely long and stressful hours and it is treated like it is normal and expectedNo overtime pay or time in lieuNo support from managementPoor pay for the hours expectedPoor/no professional development plan follow ups to ensure employees are on the path they want to beNO work life balance and your leader makes you think this is a part of the job. When you get time off they make it feel like it is a favour to you instead of your well deserved time off- They are NOT making people’s lives better!

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Extremely long hours, treated unfairly, poor management

Payroll-the one job you don’t want to be doing!

This position is terribly stressful. The workload is so heavy that you will never be able to finish your work on time unless you work couple of extra unpaid hours daily. The learning is so intense that you don’t even have time to ingest before applying it! The staff turnover in this department is very high all because of the heavy workload, poor job flexibility and work life balance and a compensation scheme that does not match the amount and level of work load and complexity. My advice will be to think twice before taking a job in the Payroll department coz you will quickly feel you made a wrong decision.

Pros

Decent pay and extended health benefits

Cons

Extremely heavy workload, poor work life balance. Poor job flexibility. Highly stressed environment and poorly organized.

14 September 2021
Though this is not typical of the feedback we normally receive, we do appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. At Chartwell, we use all feedback to listen, learn and make improvements wherever possible.

Do not work here.

Unless you wanna deal with management who does not care about you at all. Chartwells is supposed to be a retirement home, but we have quite a few residents there who should be in a long term care home.

Pros

No management during overnights.

Cons

Everything.

10 September 2021

Great place to work. Learn and grow. Maintain work life balance

Great place to work. Learn and grow. Maintain work life balance. Management keeps everyone updated on the company through its monthly townhall meeting. Do a good job and get growth and appreciation.

Pros

Collaborative work culture. Great management. Great office.

Cons

You will love the work and the culture

8 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us! We really appreciate it!

Quite Stressful

Some Managers are always missing when needed (or doesnt even answer their phone), hardest part of the job was the staffs are always short and, of course the residents cant always understand that so they tend to yell at us sometimes ( I dont blame them tho) but I love the residents.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

Always short of staff

8 September 2021

Over worked and underpaid payroll department

Very little training is provided but the team is helpful. You are given a lot of work and not enough hours to process it. You must be a quick and self learner. Very little work life balance. Payroll is biweekly but only for the employees receiving their pay. There are several biweekly cycles so you are processing a lot of documents everyday non-stop. This job keeps you very busy and you'll most likely not get to use the vacation time you earn due to the department not having the capacity to allow you that much time off . You also lose half of the unused but earned vacation time every year. Good people to work with but it's a very sink or swim environment. Supervisors and managment don't connect with you interpersonally. Bad communication from managment so be prepared to find out urgent things at last minute.

Pros

Decent salary, daily team meetings, company issues laptop, new building

Cons

Having to cram 20 hours of work into 7, Very little Training, No life work balance, Poor communication from management

8 September 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. All feedback is important to us and will help us continue to improve our employee experience.

Fun place to be

I enjoyed the variety of work in the workplace. I took money from the customers who needed an extra drink, I did the laundry, closed up the till, secured the premises, and did the garbage bins. The pool was closed each evening.

Pros

Free meal

Cons

Selling wine

2 September 2021

Overall Great

It"'s our residents and other staaff members that make work awesome. Great DOC she has professionalism and class. Only downfall, frequently short staffed and limited parking. In winter there is no where to plug in your car. Staff truly care about the residents and provide patient centered care to each individual. I am very happy to work there.

Pros

Great residents and staff

Cons

Frequently short staffed and limited parking

19 August 2021

Jobs at Chartwell Retirement Residences

See more jobs

Productive and pleasant working place

Great experience and have learnt many things.Believe in team work .Employees are treated fairly.Pleasant working environment.Proper planning.Respect deadlines.

Pros

Free lunches, activities

18 August 2021

Didn't take the job offer. What they offered me is way below my worth.

Got a job offer for bus driver. The wage doesn't meet the responsibility level. Was not told the wage upfront, nor they willing to negotiate a wage. I got better offers from other homes, and companies. This is the high end of long term care home, however they are cheap and not willing to pay a quality wage to a quality employee.

9 August 2021

Great workplace, great staff and residents!

The kitchen staff is amazing, along with the kitchen manager. He is very understanding, organized, friendly and works very hard. I highly recommend working at Chartwell McConnel as it is a positive workplace with management who treat their staff great! :)

6 August 2021

Avoid like the plaque

This company makes promises that are so bogus. Promised a full time job but their idea of full time is 20 hours a week and the supervisor gives you dirty looks if you have a hard time finishing at the exact time. Sunday night was the worst. Low wages don't help ether.

Pros

Cons

Long hours poor pay

29 July 2021

Ambivalence

L'équipe de travail et les résidents sont la raison pour laquelle j'ai aimé cet emploi. Cependant, il n'y a aucun autre avantage. Le salaire est médiocre, les conditions de travail aussi. Les services offerts aux résidents déficients et on sent que l'important c'est le profit de l'entreprise. Il y a un énorme roulement dans le personnel a cause de tout cela.

Pros

Equipe formidable, esprit de famille

Cons

Pas d'avantages sociaux

Environnement

Équipe froide et plate. Gens très peu accueillants et incapable de travailler en équipe. Très déçu de mon expérience. Gens peu motivant

Pros

Repas à 2$

Cons

6 mois de probation

The staff are professional and friendly. I felt I was hired for my knowledge, and I respected that.

Part of The Retirement Home is a new atmosphere. It's uplifting to be part of a daily community. Clients remember your name and appreciate if you care

Pros

Actually, the Chef's tend to cook extra for the staff. Plus there's baked goods served every day!!

Cons

I can't think of one. I enjoyed it at Chartwell very much!! Wish I never would of left.

19 July 2021

Beaucoup de rotation d'employés et manquante

Environnement très lourd. Aucune valorisation, de respect , d'écoute de soutient et d'empathie venant de la direction. Mal rémunéré pour les taches et responsabilités demandées Exploite leurs employés.

Pros

Relation enrichissante avec les résidents

Cons

La Direction

Hard work but very rewarding

Expected to do a lot but most staff are helpful toward each other. I learned a lot about medications and treatments, under the guidance of the nursing manager. The general management was appreciative most of the time but did not help as much as they could have during crisis or busy times. The hardest part was the amount of cleaning you had to do, very physical and extremely tiring. The best part over and above the learning aspect was the amazing residents.

Pros

On the job learning

Cons

The amount of work expected during a shift

6 July 2021

Positive environment, Amazing team

Chartwell Georgian Traditions is hands down the best place I have EVER been employed. It's such a positive, fun, and supportive environment, where you truly feel appreciated everyday. Laughter can be heard daily by many, and the constant support from the management team is the best I've ever experienced. Team work makes the dream work and that is Georgian Traditions!

Pros

Fun, supportive team

Cons

wages

23 June 2021

Poor Management, unhealthy environment

Unhealthy seniority complex issues between staff and management. Negative work environment. Long hours, no appreciation from company. No wage increases. Zero work advancement. Don't waste your time.

11 June 2021

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare Chartwell Retirement Residences with

• Chartwell Retirement Residences
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?