Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Extremely short staffed! Yet only exspect 25 hours a week they consider that full time.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON30 May 2018
They talk about work life balance but that's not true when your only given 25 hours a week on average over 5 days. You end up spending half your cheque in gas and they take 30 mins off for breaks. You are expected to show up 15 mins early and start work without pay. And if you have to stay late don't expect any pay. 25 hours a week is not work life balance that consists of being able to pay your bills at the least...
Pros
Food
Cons
Over worked under paid
Loved working here
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON29 May 2018
Listening to the residents while they told you story's about their lives was very interesting. Loved helping them get ready for the day. Loved giving them baths and or showers. Was a very family oriented feeling. The hardest part of the job was when the residents past away very emotional time. The most enjoyable part of the job is hard to tell you I loved doing everything I did. Management was very easy to talk too. Also had the best co-workers always ready to lend a hand when needed.
Pros
looked forward to coming into work
Cons
there was always extra hours
What a place.
Guest Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 May 2018
I love the residence. They are amazing. The job in itself is really good. Med training for UCP is provided. But management sucks and pay sucks. It's not worth busting your butt for minimum wage. Management doesn't know how to priroitize and get important matters taken care of and they do the bare minimum just to get by with their day. Never above and beyond their responsibities pushing most of it off onto staff. Also, they get away with paying minimum wage because they call us Guest Attendents
SAVE YOURSELF THE STRESS and get yourself a good paying job if you're a psw.
Pros
Residence, work, friendly coworkers
Cons
Wage sucks, management sucks, feels like your job is always on the line
Attention families and potential residents
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2018
Attention families and potential residents..... DO NOT LIVE HERE!!!!

I am a former employee at Chartwell's Duke of Devonshire retirement residence and sadly left as I had to move out of the area, though it was soon approaching anyway as the quality of care and positive, friendly atmosphere has changed for the worst.

It’s very disappointing to see as it's become more of a business then a home for the people that actually live there!! Everything has become more about marketing for new residents and less about doing for the residents living here. Occupancy is embarrassingly low, budgets have shrunk but of course the rent has gone way up. These people are paying way more and getting way less and the rest of the money is going into managements pockets.

Respite care over shadows permanent living. There is no team work or communication between departments, policies are not followed or respected and upper management does not respond to concerns regarding resident care and satisfaction. Furthermore, make changes in the home based on what they think and feel is better for the business (yet they are nowhere to be found) without even asking residents or staff - the people who actually know how things best operate on the floor. They are never around on evenings, never mind weekends, and often part time minimum wage employees are forced to "man the fort" and make decisions far beyond their pay grade. And even when management is there, their noses are so far up in the air they barely acknowledge staff and resident existence!! Heaven forbid if something major actually happens.....
  more...

The reputation of this home has excelled in years due to the rewarding service excellence staff provide. However there has been a huge turn over in staff because of the lack of respect chartwell has for its employees. A ‘wow’ moment for me would be to see this company value their customers and staff. Making people’s lives better doesn’t mean taking advantage of them and pocketing millions in profit. These residents deserve the best and if you are the type of person/employee who is caring and compassionate, do not work for chartwell. You will be overworked, under appreciated, underpaid for your efforts and left feeling completely frustrated!
Love
PSW student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 May 2018
Residents are always laughing staff is amazing management loved everyone and therything abouyt there job and never let people down and always live in the moment
Food and Nutrition Manager
FNM (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 May 2018
I was hired full time as a FNM for Chartwell. I had come with years of excellent qualifications in the industry and was offered a wonderful opportunity. Since I was used to working in not for profit I decided to take quite a drop in salary to accept the job. The very first day I was told to review the P&P online and was basically left to my own devices without any assistance or help. My trainer had me set up an interview with a potential new staff member for my second day in. Then I was told I would have to interview this person by myself. I hadn't been given any information about Chartwell nor its hiring practices or expectations. I hadn't even been through any kind of new manager orientation before I was thrown in. When the applicant arrived for the the interview I felt very unorganized and ill prepared.I was terribly embarrassed and apologized to her for my lack of knowledge. There were no formal questions to ask nor did I even know what position I was interviewing for. The third day I found out I would be expected to work weekends every third or fourth weekend and take on call for 12 days in a row with no monetary remuneration. This was NEVER mentioned to me at my interview nor was it outlined in my employment contract. That night I weighed the pros and cons and went in the next day and resigned. If this is how for-profit homes are run, I choose not to be part of them. I notice on a daily basis that these homes are seeking new staff and managers. It is no surprise to me why this is. I have vowed never to get involved working for a for profit LTC home again. Avoid these  more... as work places. They are not interested in your qualifications or what you bring to the table. They only want a warm body to fill a very unreasonable role.  less
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
Salary, duties, lack of any formal training, expectations that would lead you to think you should be getting more pay.
Very welcoming and home like feel
Clinical Placement- Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON15 May 2018
Recently completed a clinical fieldwork placement at a Chartwell facility, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable time. All of the staff were very welcoming and enjoyed our help for the time we were there. The facility was very easy to navigate and get an understanding of in the short weeks I was attending there. You can tell from the resident's that the facility is well maintained and all of the staff are very good to them.
The staff at this facility were also very fun, as they planned many great activities for the residents, even for those who are unable to participate fully.
It was a great pleasure to attend one of Chartwell's facilities to complete my clinical fieldwork placement.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Small lunch room
Activities with residents regularly like baking, site seeing outdoor drive, lunch outside with residents, indoor games with the residents.
Health Care Aide (Personal Support Worker ) (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 May 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff and managers, as a team worker with respect and trust each other as client centered to the residents. Making sure that residents were taking care all their health needs and safety concerns. Reporting to the management accurately.
Pros
Free treats and gifts occassionally
Cons
Working long hours
Not bad
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 May 2018
Not a bad place to work. It is very resident driven. Lots of competition in this sector. Rooms for residents were well kept but the food was not great.
Productive and motivational workplace
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 May 2018
Chartwell Retirement Residences was one of my favourite places of employment. Not only are they kind to their employees with a tight-knit environment, but they offer flexibility in the workplace and a voice for improvement. The management went above and beyond to help and make the work environment better. I came to understand the environment very well and made life long connections with the residents. The hardest part of the job was having many shifts where you don't even get to take your lunch or breaks because of the amount of work to do.
Pros
Free lunches, staff inclusion
Cons
long hours, small breaks
Worst company
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2018
This company promotes incompetent senior management who's main job is to belittle and intimidate the middle management. If not done the chartwell way you will be fired. To much pressure and sales focused rather than the true reason we are there for; the seniors. Don't work there....period
excellent work environment
Long Term Care Resident & Care Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2018
The corporate team is warm and supportive with a strong vision for shared goals and accountability - the ideal candidate for nurse consultant role must enjoy extensive travel assignments!
Health and Wellness Manager - Poor salary and poor work/life balance
Health and Wellness Manager (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON4 April 2018
The salary they pay for a Health and Wellness Manager is so poor considering this position requires you to a) be a nurse b) work days off for free c) be on call with no pay and d) have a lot of responsibility.

As with any management position, you will have a lot of responsibility placed on you which is expected however, pay the position what it is worth not a measly $45,000 per year and expect that person to be on call for no extra pay and come in on days off for no extra pay. Kinda terrible if you ask me.

I am lucky that I found another management position as a nurse that actually pays what I am worth and I even get paid to be on call which only happen once every 8 weeks. Chartwell you can be on call for free once in every 3 weeks.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Expected to work on days off without pay, on call often without pay, salary for a manager especially a nurse manager is very very very poor
Growth industry
Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 March 2018
Industry experiencing significant growth.

Company is positioned to excel based on demographics.

Systems and processes unable to keep up with expansion.
Pros
Growth industry
Cons
Poor systems and processes
N/a
Food Server (Current Employee) –  240 Oldhardwood Avenue, Ajax, Ontario16 March 2018
It is a busy working environment and I have to work at high pace. Further , it is not a place to reward my efforts. No room for growth. It is far from my residence and I need a lot of time for travel.
Pros
Co-Workers are friendly
Cons
Far from my residence
PSW (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 March 2018
I have worked at this company for over 7 years we had great management until this last crew came in. There is no reginitio no help they only look out for them. If you go to them with a problem be sure you will be put on the hit list. They go out of there way to hide what is going on worst place ever
Pros
The workers
Cons
The management
Like most of the people
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Vineland, ON15 March 2018
I have only been working here for a few short weeks. The people seem great and happy and very easy to get along with. The managers seem very understanding and easy going. Most of the residents are great and happy and appriciate what you do.
Pros
The happy enviorment
Cons
Only part time for me
friendly and calming workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON12 March 2018
the residents are extremely sweet and kind. this workplace is very calming and fun. the hours are not good but the residents and staff make up for it.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours
No idea what project management is
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Valley, ON17 February 2018
they have no clue about what Project management is, their only tool is excel and the director of Project management doesn' have a clue what project plan is. She brings 40 people in one room and goes over task items one by one and records them on a spreadsheet, it is only checkbox management, there is no any plan successor predecessor relation, critical path, task assignment, resource levelling, scheduling, risk assessment, risk management, cost management nothing zilch nada. I managed multi million dollar projects successfully however they only asked me to take minutes in two meetings and then they let me go after three months by paying another three months . Unbelievable place, something from novels of Kafka..
productive
Night Reception/Janitorial/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 February 2018
i was working graveyard shift 11-7 am , i didn't really see a lot of the other staff , or get to know a lot of people , management was OK , sometimes a fast paced environment
Pros
lunch was made in the kitchen
Cons
regular hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.