Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Chartwell more like family - Comme une grande famille
Réceptionniste (Current Employee) –  Lachine, QC15 December 2018
I have been working here for a couple of months and i feel like we are a big family. Here we care about our residents.

Je travaille ici depuis quelques mois et je dois dire que nous sommes comme une grande famille. Nous avons a coeur le bien être de nos résidents et fesons tout notre possible pour les accomodés.
Pros
Résidents, Employés
Cons
assenseur brise souvent - elevators often breaks
Poor Management
Perfer not to say (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 December 2018
Unless Management likes you, they will make doing your job very difficult. Care more about filling the rooms then resident safety. Communication between Management to staff is non-existent.
Pros
The residents themselves
Cons
Negative environment
Very nice environment and they make sure you are comfortable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2018
I would help the residents do activities or help with preparing them. As well as serving them beverages, making phone calls from the front desk and assisting some of the residents with their wheelchairs. I learned that people really appreciate some of the work you do for them and that you are never too old to have some fun and learn new things. The workplace was a safe, comfortable environment. I got along with every one of the employees and residence and there were never any problems. The hardest part of the job was remembering what some residence had troubles with but the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be a part of the community, helping the residence and being a reason for them to smile.
Horrible experience
PSW (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON5 December 2018
When I got hired I told them I was in school for nursing, & I wouldn’t be able to take every call in, they stated that was okay. Than they would call me three times a day while I was in class. Asking if I can work all three shifts.?! Absolutely no training what so ever. They just threw me on & left. I requested training shifts & they literally never gave me any. Then fired me because I wasn’t taking call ins, & said the no training was on them & they will fix it in the future. We are working with residents lives here... there shouldn’t even be any question about training, it’s mandory!! The staff are all rude & stuck up, and backstabbing except for about two.. everyone thinks they are better then everyone else. They get angry when you ask for help because “ it’s not there job to help you”.. you are on your own. There isn’t team work here at all. Absolutely will never apply to any chartwell again. I do not recommend this place at all!! If you care about your well being & you want to enjoy your job as a PSW or nurse helping people who need us.., don’t come here.
Cons
Group bullying by senior employees and no co-operation. Horrible management and only listen to senior staff. Not a good place to work.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2018
A former employee at Mississauga kawthra garden ltc. Group bullying by senior employees. Inefficient supervisor and management. Not recommended or suitable for dietary staff positions.
Cons
Worst working environment and lot of discrimination to new emplyoyees
Not a place for your first RPN job
RPN (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2018
Long story short, they hire you. Give you a few unhelpful orientation days and then tell you to hold down a floor of 40+ residents. This includes medications administration, wound care and other topical treatments. The workload is overbearing and all the staff are too busy to help you if you ask for assistance. I would recommend this job for RPNs that have alot of experience in long-term care, have astounding time management skills and can handle working by themselves efficiently.
Pros
Residents are great, facility is clean
Cons
Terrible training, assistance is scarce, low wage for heavy workload, poor management
Une belle opportunité de 2e carrière
Conseiller en location (Former Employee) –  Saint-Hyacinthe, QC16 November 2018
Mon passage dans cette résidence a été une belle expérience me permettant de développer des habiletés auprès d'une autre catégorie de clientèle, les aînés.
Pros
Équipe de direction soudée et dédiée
Cons
Salaire principalement lié à la signature de baux (60%)
Good Workplace culture
HCM Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2018
Team work and collaboration
Nice people
There are events and activities
Good work culture
Top management is good
There are challenges
You can learn new things by yourself
Cant trust this company Big company Managed from head office They are all talk no action
Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2018
They talk nice but their actions are that of a heartless corporation. Big company that believes they are well run but in reality they are slow inflexible and and make poor decisions because management is always correct. They don't have listening skills that are required in a competitive market.
Pros
Nice environment sometimes
Cons
can't be trusted
it was challeging and crazy busy
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON12 November 2018
i learned a lot, but very busy and hard on the body. i liked sitting down with residents when there was entertainment and watch the smile on there face. Because as people well know, some family members just drop them off and never bother with them again. now that's heart breaking,
Pros
hanging with residents
Cons
not enough hours
Great staff and management team
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 October 2018
The Best thing of all from Chartwell is the team. You make a good team you will have a amazing work environment. Which I did I had a great team great staff and residents I loved . If there is ever a time that I wanted to Chang e careers I would go back to Chartwell in a heart beat. Oshawa
Pros
Team
Rampant miscommunication
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2018
Worked at this place for years, as a professional the work culture from the management is pretty awful. They're quite good at only communicating through passive aggressive emails, or not including you on at all in the communication. Management also hardly keeps anyone informed about anything, and then get upset when people do not automatically know. Evening and weekend staff end up fending for themselves a lot, as management is not around during these hours. Most of the staff is not very up to date on their education, resulting in outdated practices. The front line staff, especially nurses and kitchen are great and work really hard. Coworkers really support each other, mostly because they don't trust management.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
Poorly managed top down
don't do this to yourself
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 October 2018
high turn over rate. you have job security because of the turn over rate. management does not care about the turn over rate or tries to do anything about it. pay is minimum wage for pretty much all jobs in the building unless nurse or manager.
Pros
free staff meal
Cons
long hours, short staff is a regular day
Good people to be working for
House keeping (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 October 2018
They were nice , caring people to work for. Great atmosphere and great people to work with as well. They took good care of their employees and kept the spirits high and sweet.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not enough hours
Avoid this company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2018
They don't care about their employees life all about the profit.
They under pay their employees
They don't provide adequate training or budget to ther operation
Pros
free food
Cons
culture
Making people’s lives better
PSW (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 October 2018
Chartwell truly empowers their employees to think outside of the box. All with the goal of providing happier, healthier more fulfilling life experience for our residents. Also by partnering with wish of a life time canada it’s amazing and so rewarding to work within an organization that truly care about people.
Pros
Residents, making a difference
Excellent
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 October 2018
Excellent site for job searching.
Easy steps to help with search.
Like how search different fields and locations.
Also salary and area you would like to work in
Pros
Notifications
great place to work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 September 2018
the clients and staff are very respectful and nice. Management is very understanding and take time out to list to the clients and staffs concerns. nice
Pros
nice
Cons
nice
You do the job of three depts.-cleaning, PSW, kitchen help....
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON20 September 2018
Low pay, plus not only do you have to help with residents personal care, you have to clean rooms...vacuum, clean toilet, get trays, and even doing nightly laundry. Was not for me. They are constantly short staffed.
Cons
short staffed in all depts.
Great team
Dietary Aide/Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 September 2018
As a previous employer of a Chartwell select in Kingston Ontario I had many great experiences working there great people to work with they can work around your schedule if needed very friendly staff as well as residence

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.