Chartwell Retirement Residences

• Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Extremely stressful

Have you working more tables than you can handle right off the bat, minimal to no training. Expect you to memorize everyone diet by the first day and know everything. Way too too much pressure.

Pros

Cons

A fair amount

Ok

Workload is heavy in the kitchen sometimes have to work 7-12 days in a row , the nice thing though is there’s enough work for a shift never not doing anything.

Pros

Short shifts

Cons

Overworked

Short staffed (even with agency workers) and poor management

Sometimes patient care suffers because management can't get us enough staff to do all the tasks we need to do as PSWs. Some staff don't like working together and won't offer help. Agency workers can't keep up at times, but its not their fault because we are too busy to show them the ropes. There are wonderful, nice, caring people that work here, but one of the main reasons staff are dissatisfied is the low wages, poor staffing, and difficulty getting full time positions.

13 May 2022
Though this is not typical of the feedback we normally receive, we do appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. At Chartwell, we use all feedback to listen, learn and make improvements wherever possible.

Burnout. Full stop

This is a perfect place of you want to work 24/7. You will be scheduled without notice to changes. Called in last minute all the time, and guilted or fought with when you say you can't come in on that short notice. You are responsible for everything. Cleaning, residents, medications, paperwork, phones, doors, the extra kitchen duties, and servers. There will only ever be 2 of you on site, and there is no time to actually help residents here. Nurse doesn't want you to contact them, even when they're on call, because the 1800 number to some random person with no background knowledge on the residents is good enough between 5pm and 7am. It's a toxic work place. Co workers are amazing, hard working and dedicated. Striving to do their best for each resident.

13 May 2022

Stressful they expect you to live for them and have no life.

Low pay and expect the world from you they don't tell you what's expected until after you are on the job the general manager is unprofessional and talks down and disrespectful to employees and doesn't know how to lead a team at all.does not want to be bugged or deal with any issues that a employee might have this is what a general manager is for but this one is useless. you will be expected to use your personal vehicle for company errands with no compensation.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

everything else

It’s very enjoyable works

The company is very good and busy work, but they need more more workers to this kind of situation the company should hired of workers I observed they always short of staff

13 May 2022
Thank you for the taking the time to share a review and rating. At Chartwell, we use all feedback to listen, learn and make improvements wherever possible.

Les employés super

J'ai vraiment pas la façon ils promettent des Prime que tu as pas vraiment déçu des mensonges

Fun work place

Great place to work! Very friendly and organized the only issue is the management don’t really answer their phone. You have to go in person to talk your issue

13 May 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive employee experience at Chartwell!We appreciate the kind words and thank you for the review and rating!

Not a good place to work if you are hardworking and proffessional

Management so horrible and childish.They will give you lot of instructions and they are the one break it first.They always act as busy when you will approach them.If any working situation that we need managers help, they will just throw you on the middle and they will simply escape .Day by day they will reduce the proffessional approach of your working skill by giving you lot of extra jobs that even count on your working designation.For example If you are a LPN and you are the one coming early in morning you will be the one remove snow on the walkways.HR department doesn' t know what they are doing because they created policies always aganist workers and that will always reflect so badly to give better service to the residents.

13 May 2022
Though these are not typical of the comments we normally receive, we do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. All feedback is important to us and will help us continue to improve our employee experience.

Fast-paced, tough work load, poor pay

It's a good place if you want to get experience working in a fast-paced healthcare field. You will learn a lot in a short amount of time here. Many positions are underpaid for the amount of work expected.

Pros

Great experience in a healthcare field

Cons

Pay, workload, understaffed

Being a favourite is all it takes and don't expect time off as management

Management favours particular staff. If you aren't a favourite, you won't go far. The managers are also very picky amongst themselves. If a manager/supervisor doesn't fit in with the other managers, they will be outcast and run out. If you are a manager, expect to be emailed/called on your days off and vacation days.

It is tiring but fun.

The usual daily task here is so tiring because we prepare and serve the food, collects dishes and wash it. Yes, there is a dish washing machine but still it will take your time, especially if you are working with new staff. It is also heavy carrying the dishes back and forth the kitchen. The management is fair, salary is low for the work that we do. There are bonuses but it is from the residents and not from the company. The hardest part of the job is managing some residents who are coming late to the dining area, bringing the soiled dishes back to the kitchen with trays only (carts are not allowed). The fun part of the job on our time, workmates are so fun to work with it will get rid of the tiredness we have.

Environnement de travail dégueulasse et toxique

manager toxique et psychopathe, harcelant...culture du travail imposé par obligation.Certains résidents et famille sont des perles...

Toxic company

They don't care about employees, or residents... just seen to care about corporate. Inexperienced staff, stressful .... so much over turn in management and staff.

Cons

Unorganized

Not a fun place

Residents are great but Understaffed and management doesn't care. Coworkers calling in sick all the time. Asked to go above and beyong for minimum wage.

20 April 2022
Although these are not typical of the comments we normally receive, we do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. All feedback is important to us and will help us continue to improve our employee experience.

Horrible place to work, run from here!

This company does not care about having good hard working stAff. Instead, management makes you feel unappreciated all the time. They don’t care to listen to staff concerns, and they do whatever they want to do in the end. Work loads for nurses is absolutely insane and their pay is terrible. Nurses and care aides are beyond underpaid for the work that is expected of them. Benefits are atrocious. The only positive thing was a few of the team members who were kind and wonderful which made the work that much more tolerable. This place will accept any residents just so they can make profit. Abusive and aggressive patients who torment the staff constantly and no one ever does anything about it. Instead you are expected to “deal with it”. By far, worst experience ever.

Terrible culture

Chartwell could pay a lot better, they could also support management teams better by assisting them with disciplines when needed and ensuring a community culture is a happy and positive one. The culture at Chartwell is terrible and the unionized staff are absolutely awful and useless.

Ego based management

While the overall executive team is excellent, there are some directors and managers that are jerks and two faced. Exploitative, manipulative and disrespectful while acting differently in front of other people. Bullying and disrespectful.Overall the culture is good, but some of the Management should have never been granted power to be management. Micromanagement is not leadership.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Bad management, micromanagement, stressful, exhaustive workload, poor pay

Fun Workplace

Meaningful and rewarding work serving the elderly, great team of co-workers. The best part was the residents. Scheduling was fair and consistent with opportunities to pick up more shifts as needed.

Its work if you need it.

You do more than your job should entail, management has expectations they want met but don't provide the hours or staffing to achieve said goals. There is little flexibility in scheduling and they set it up so minimal people get enough hours to qualify for benefits. Complaints from staff are not seen to and training is severely lacking meaning those who can actually handle their own tasks have to also pick up the slack. The pay isn't worth it with the stress, extra work, and management on your A** because things aren't done or done the way they want.

Excellent Management and patient team

I did my apprenticeship with them. The person who I was shadowing was amazing and helpful. I was able to receive a wide range of knowledge. Able to do one on one assessments with residents , activities and more. I enjoyed getting to know the residents and having that connection with them. The management and staff are patient and understanding. Always communicating even with changes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement