Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

One of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had.
Receptionist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC9 August 2018
If you are a compassionate, caring, all around friendly person who can problem solve and appreciate the importance of your presence to the Seniors who live here, than this could be the place for you. You will not get rich here but you will become enriched and rewarded for your genuine efforts to make peoples lives better. Carrington House is a home and that's how it feels. Supportive Management and staff are key to making this Residence hold on to these qualities. Not to say there's no wrinkles to iron out. ( no pun intended) I have yet to know a family that's without some dysfunction 😊
Pros
Home like Residence, Union support.
Cons
Staff shortages, Management would benefit from more support staff, wages are mediocre in some departments.
Low wages = More workload
Part Time Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 August 2018
With this company, you are expected to do equal or even more work compared to other homes while being paid less. Most front line staff are paid minimum wage & other staff are paid less then their counterparts in other facilities.
Pros
A lot of vacant shifts
Cons
Minimum wages
Excellent Corporate policies and procedures in place.
DIRECTOR OF CARE (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON1 August 2018
Excellent team work and atmosphere within the residences. Always hours available and room to grow in the company. There is also the opportunity to relocate within the company as well. We remember that we have the privilege to work in our residence home.
Pros
Room to grow in the company
Cons
Corporate is a moderate distance away.
Great residents
Guest Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 July 2018
Working at Chartwell I got to know a lot of the residents there and would care to their every need. I had several different shifts there from working mornings to night shifts.
Great job! Great people
Lifestyle & Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON26 July 2018
This was an amazing place to work. I loved the managers and the residents. Only problem was no job security and salary was minimum wage for a manager role.
Awful toxic work environment
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON26 July 2018
General Manager is a tyrant and bully who terrorizes front line staff and doesn’t even know the names of most of residents. She fires and diminishes people.

The residents aren’t respected or listened to.

The place is falling apart.

The front line staff is treated like garbage and the marketing person doesn’t even acknowledge front line staff.
Pros
Residents
Cons
GM long hours no breaks harrassment tolerated.
PSW Durham region
PSW (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON23 July 2018
Poor management . Short almost every day . except you do extra work ,where almost impossible . Residents suffer ,when you hear sorry no showers today . Residents won't get that time made up. But wait till next shower day . God forbid they short on that day .
Management ont step in assist when short staffed . Already not adequately staffed . But behind closed doors there serious prob.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Management, Hr
Fuyez la résidence d’orleans
Employee (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON11 July 2018
La directrice générale ne sait pas manager son équipe.
Elle ne fait que crier et nous intimide.
L’ambiance de travail est pourrie pour preuve le staff ne reste pas
Cons
La directrice
Ninety percent housekeeping
Guest attendant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON3 July 2018
Residents and coworkers were very friendly. As a psw you are basically a glorified housekeeper with a fancy title. Do not waste your expertise here. As a guest attendant you have to multi task throughout your shift. On a daily basis you need to do housekeeping throughout the day, serve meals in the dining area. Dispense medication in their apartment or the dining area. To gain experience in all departments this a place to start.
Pros
Beautiful retirement home
Cons
Cement floors, hard on your feet standing and walking all day.
Salary is so low it’s insulting
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 July 2018
The salary is EXTREMELY low. You make below minimum wage for a Personal Support Worker position. (Minimum wage is $15/hour)

The management is great. The residents are fantastic. The environment is great.

If the pay were respectable I would stay here until retirement.
Pros
Great residents, discounted meals for workers, fun environment
Cons
Pay
Its okay
COOK & SERVER (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON1 July 2018
Management is Poor. Residents are awesome. Even though you cook the food your not given a free meal a shift which is a bummer and the manager can't seem to figure out how to order supplies for everyone
One word, STAY AWAY from applying here....
HR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2018
Stay away from applying here esp if you are in HR. Unprofessional and at times you would find individuals working around the office with no shoes on...
extremely enjoyable
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2018
On a typically work day it is the responsibility of a server to take orders from residents, bring them their appetizer, main dish and desert, clean the tables and the kitchen and make sure the residents are enjoying themselves. I have learned many skills from this job including patients, politeness, communication skills and I have improved my ability to multitask. This job is for someone who is physically able to walk around most of the day while being able to stay positive and provide the best experience for the residents. The workplace is fast pace with a lot of action at all times which will keep you moving. The staff in the kitchen are extremely fun and kind hearted people who are all hard working and will help new staff fit in comfortably. The best part about this job is being able to connect and listen to the stories that some of the residents have and it is interesting to hear what they have to say. To conclude this job is a great fit for anyone who connects with people easily, is naturally charismatic and is able to focus on many things at once.
Pros
free meals
Cons
no cons
Hard to be a cook on your own
Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 June 2018
When I worked their I was a cook, dishwasher and server. Making the food for 75 people wasn't easy. Also, the kitchen manager was away for two months when I was hired. Made it hard to get help
Pros
Cons
Long hours/job culture
Extremely short staffed! Yet only exspect 25 hours a week they consider that full time.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON30 May 2018
They talk about work life balance but that's not true when your only given 25 hours a week on average over 5 days. You end up spending half your cheque in gas and they take 30 mins off for breaks. You are expected to show up 15 mins early and start work without pay. And if you have to stay late don't expect any pay. 25 hours a week is not work life balance that consists of being able to pay your bills at the least...
Pros
Food
Cons
Over worked under paid
Loved working here
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON29 May 2018
Listening to the residents while they told you story's about their lives was very interesting. Loved helping them get ready for the day. Loved giving them baths and or showers. Was a very family oriented feeling. The hardest part of the job was when the residents past away very emotional time. The most enjoyable part of the job is hard to tell you I loved doing everything I did. Management was very easy to talk too. Also had the best co-workers always ready to lend a hand when needed.
Pros
looked forward to coming into work
Cons
there was always extra hours
What a place.
Guest Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 May 2018
I love the residence. They are amazing. The job in itself is really good. Med training for UCP is provided. But management sucks and pay sucks. It's not worth busting your butt for minimum wage. Management doesn't know how to priroitize and get important matters taken care of and they do the bare minimum just to get by with their day. Never above and beyond their responsibities pushing most of it off onto staff. Also, they get away with paying minimum wage because they call us Guest Attendents
SAVE YOURSELF THE STRESS and get yourself a good paying job if you're a psw.
Pros
Residence, work, friendly coworkers
Cons
Wage sucks, management sucks, feels like your job is always on the line
Attention families and potential residents
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2018
Attention families and potential residents..... DO NOT LIVE HERE!!!!

I am a former employee at Chartwell's Duke of Devonshire retirement residence and sadly left as I had to move out of the area, though it was soon approaching anyway as the quality of care and positive, friendly atmosphere has changed for the worst.

It’s very disappointing to see as it's become more of a business then a home for the people that actually live there!! Everything has become more about marketing for new residents and less about doing for the residents living here. Occupancy is embarrassingly low, budgets have shrunk but of course the rent has gone way up. These people are paying way more and getting way less and the rest of the money is going into managements pockets.

Respite care over shadows permanent living. There is no team work or communication between departments, policies are not followed or respected and upper management does not respond to concerns regarding resident care and satisfaction. Furthermore, make changes in the home based on what they think and feel is better for the business (yet they are nowhere to be found) without even asking residents or staff - the people who actually know how things best operate on the floor. They are never around on evenings, never mind weekends, and often part time minimum wage employees are forced to "man the fort" and make decisions far beyond their pay grade. And even when management is there, their noses are so far up in the air they barely acknowledge staff and resident existence!! Heaven forbid if something major actually happens.....
  more...

The reputation of this home has excelled in years due to the rewarding service excellence staff provide. However there has been a huge turn over in staff because of the lack of respect chartwell has for its employees. A ‘wow’ moment for me would be to see this company value their customers and staff. Making people’s lives better doesn’t mean taking advantage of them and pocketing millions in profit. These residents deserve the best and if you are the type of person/employee who is caring and compassionate, do not work for chartwell. You will be overworked, under appreciated, underpaid for your efforts and left feeling completely frustrated!
Love
PSW student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 May 2018
Residents are always laughing staff is amazing management loved everyone and therything abouyt there job and never let people down and always live in the moment
Food and Nutrition Manager
FNM (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 May 2018
I was hired full time as a FNM for Chartwell. I had come with years of excellent qualifications in the industry and was offered a wonderful opportunity. Since I was used to working in not for profit I decided to take quite a drop in salary to accept the job. The very first day I was told to review the P&P online and was basically left to my own devices without any assistance or help. My trainer had me set up an interview with a potential new staff member for my second day in. Then I was told I would have to interview this person by myself. I hadn't been given any information about Chartwell nor its hiring practices or expectations. I hadn't even been through any kind of new manager orientation before I was thrown in. When the applicant arrived for the the interview I felt very unorganized and ill prepared.I was terribly embarrassed and apologized to her for my lack of knowledge. There were no formal questions to ask nor did I even know what position I was interviewing for. The third day I found out I would be expected to work weekends every third or fourth weekend and take on call for 12 days in a row with no monetary remuneration. This was NEVER mentioned to me at my interview nor was it outlined in my employment contract. That night I weighed the pros and cons and went in the next day and resigned. If this is how for-profit homes are run, I choose not to be part of them. I notice on a daily basis that these homes are seeking new staff and managers. It is no surprise to me why this is. I have vowed never to get involved working for a for profit LTC home again. Avoid these  more... as work places. They are not interested in your qualifications or what you bring to the table. They only want a warm body to fill a very unreasonable role.  less
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
Salary, duties, lack of any formal training, expectations that would lead you to think you should be getting more pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.