Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

overall experience
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 February 2019
no team work. Over worked and under paid. Referred to as a guest attendant rather than a qualified psw. Have to be cert. psw to work there, and have UCP training. Nursing and charting responsibilities, proper documentation. Serving, cleaning, laundry, etc. Management considers themselves totally separate from you, and extremely above you. There are several "managers" above you that you must take orders from, these include the front desk, sales,and even the maintenance man, and even kitchen are all above you, and are all your managers!!!
Would avoid
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2019
I worked for this company for several years. They have a high turnover especially in management because in short they treat their staff and management team like dirt. Handing out free food to staff a few times a year at staff events in no compensation for bullying, intimidating and exploiting people that work at the facility.

I found their corporate team very dishonest and out of touch with the front line staff. They take advantage of their front line staff to make a profit and when mistakes are made placing residents at risk due to their penny pinching efforts they throw their staff under the bus to cover up the situation.

Their Scarborough location was being run by this disrespectful tyrant who was horrible to work for. She would be yelling at staff and other mangers in front of other staff and residents. Having administrators that cannot act professional and treat staff with dignity and respect makes this long term care facility one I would not recommend to anyone. She was basically a bully. Her uncontrolled ongoing poor treatment of her hard working staff results in ongoing high turn overs of management staff at the facility and also results in people that use of love their job working the residents and facility members living in the facility want to work elsewhere.

Many staff who work there do try to keep more than one job because there is huge mistrust towards Administration and Head office staff that appear very happy to blame frontline staff when problems occur to protect themselves. In many cases problems occur because they have created policies and
  more... expectations that are not realistic and set staff up to fail.

The front line staff in the home are great, but many eventually get burnt out because they continue to be taken advantage of. Talking to staff respectfully makes a world of difference to help keep them motivated. However due to their horrible administrator it is now a very toxic work place and unless you are desperate for a job I would not want to work there. This is also why many of the staff just work there for the pay cheque until they can find something better.

The pay and benefits are not good. Better organizations to work for.
Pros
The front line staff
Cons
Ongoing exploitation and mistreatment of staff, horrible administrator
People are expected to work like 3 people
Guest attendent (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2019
There is very little people helping work it is mostly cleaning as a guest attendent. Staff is not empathetic to needs of residents nor are wellness nurses team workers.
Pros
Residents are very nice
Cons
Work like 3 get paid like 1
Easy Going Work Environment
RPN (Former Employee) –  Vineland, ON2 February 2019
Nursing management is very reasonable at the Vinelands RH. Residents are kind and appreciative. Pay rate for RPNs before the probation period ends (which is 6 months) is very poor. After probation it is on the lower end of the payscale as well. Rpns can get better pay in LTC and hospitals so there is a bit of turnover in that respect. Staff are nice. Psws are great and helpful.
Pros
Cheap lunch
Cons
Pay scale
Fun and peaceful place to work
Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 February 2019
Really nice place to work and management is very friendly. The work routine is well organized and easy to follow. Learned a lot of new things and meeting people.
Pros
Good management and friendly enviornment
Cons
Salary is low.
Dietary aide
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 January 2019
I absolutely enjoyed working with chartwall Isabella retirement home.
i got along with everyone, residents were nice and caring, but most of all i didn't a excellent job getting all my tasks done and quickly
Poor Management
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 December 2018
Poor management!!!!! They don’t care about their employees at all. They only care about themselves! Will do everything behind your back and if they don’t like you, they treat Unfairly I would not suggest this place to anybody! Very poorly paid and get nothing in return always working short ! Can’t keep any staff there! Brutal place to work ! You also work for minimum wage for 6 months which is their probation ! Very unfair!
Pros
Co-workers
Chartwell more like family - Comme une grande famille
Réceptionniste (Current Employee) –  Lachine, QC15 December 2018
I have been working here for a couple of months and i feel like we are a big family. Here we care about our residents.

Je travaille ici depuis quelques mois et je dois dire que nous sommes comme une grande famille. Nous avons a coeur le bien être de nos résidents et fesons tout notre possible pour les accomodés.
Pros
Résidents, Employés
Cons
assenseur brise souvent - elevators often breaks
Poor Management
Perfer not to say (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 December 2018
Unless Management likes you, they will make doing your job very difficult. Care more about filling the rooms then resident safety. Communication between Management to staff is non-existent.
Pros
The residents themselves
Cons
Negative environment
Very nice environment and they make sure you are comfortable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2018
I would help the residents do activities or help with preparing them. As well as serving them beverages, making phone calls from the front desk and assisting some of the residents with their wheelchairs. I learned that people really appreciate some of the work you do for them and that you are never too old to have some fun and learn new things. The workplace was a safe, comfortable environment. I got along with every one of the employees and residence and there were never any problems. The hardest part of the job was remembering what some residence had troubles with but the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be a part of the community, helping the residence and being a reason for them to smile.
Horrible experience
PSW (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON5 December 2018
When I got hired I told them I was in school for nursing, & I wouldn’t be able to take every call in, they stated that was okay. Than they would call me three times a day while I was in class. Asking if I can work all three shifts.?! Absolutely no training what so ever. They just threw me on & left. I requested training shifts & they literally never gave me any. Then fired me because I wasn’t taking call ins, & said the no training was on them & they will fix it in the future. We are working with residents lives here... there shouldn’t even be any question about training, it’s mandory!! The staff are all rude & stuck up, and backstabbing except for about two.. everyone thinks they are better then everyone else. They get angry when you ask for help because “ it’s not there job to help you”.. you are on your own. There isn’t team work here at all. Absolutely will never apply to any chartwell again. I do not recommend this place at all!! If you care about your well being & you want to enjoy your job as a PSW or nurse helping people who need us.., don’t come here.
Cons
Group bullying by senior employees and no co-operation. Horrible management and only listen to senior staff. Not a good place to work.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2018
A former employee at Mississauga kawthra garden ltc. Group bullying by senior employees. Inefficient supervisor and management. Not recommended or suitable for dietary staff positions.
Cons
Worst working environment and lot of discrimination to new emplyoyees
Not a place for your first RPN job
RPN (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 November 2018
Long story short, they hire you. Give you a few unhelpful orientation days and then tell you to hold down a floor of 40+ residents. This includes medications administration, wound care and other topical treatments. The workload is overbearing and all the staff are too busy to help you if you ask for assistance. I would recommend this job for RPNs that have alot of experience in long-term care, have astounding time management skills and can handle working by themselves efficiently.
Pros
Residents are great, facility is clean
Cons
Terrible training, assistance is scarce, low wage for heavy workload, poor management
Employees
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 November 2018
Great staff! Everyone is very helpful. We all share duties, and love what we do. However they do need more PSW staff working at the same time. PSWs are constantly working non stop with little to sometimes no break, not due to them unable to time manage but because it’s HARD work. God bless them for everything they do!
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
Impossible to get not only part time but also full time, Management doesn’t listen to you
Une belle opportunité de 2e carrière
Conseiller en location (Former Employee) –  Saint-Hyacinthe, QC16 November 2018
Mon passage dans cette résidence a été une belle expérience me permettant de développer des habiletés auprès d'une autre catégorie de clientèle, les aînés.
Pros
Équipe de direction soudée et dédiée
Cons
Salaire principalement lié à la signature de baux (60%)
Good Workplace culture
HCM Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2018
Team work and collaboration
Nice people
There are events and activities
Good work culture
Top management is good
There are challenges
You can learn new things by yourself
Cant trust this company Big company Managed from head office They are all talk no action
Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2018
They talk nice but their actions are that of a heartless corporation. Big company that believes they are well run but in reality they are slow inflexible and and make poor decisions because management is always correct. They don't have listening skills that are required in a competitive market.
Pros
Nice environment sometimes
Cons
can't be trusted
it was challeging and crazy busy
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON12 November 2018
i learned a lot, but very busy and hard on the body. i liked sitting down with residents when there was entertainment and watch the smile on there face. Because as people well know, some family members just drop them off and never bother with them again. now that's heart breaking,
Pros
hanging with residents
Cons
not enough hours
Great staff and management team
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 October 2018
The Best thing of all from Chartwell is the team. You make a good team you will have a amazing work environment. Which I did I had a great team great staff and residents I loved . If there is ever a time that I wanted to Chang e careers I would go back to Chartwell in a heart beat. Oshawa
Pros
Team
Rampant miscommunication
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2018
Worked at this place for years, as a professional the work culture from the management is pretty awful. They're quite good at only communicating through passive aggressive emails, or not including you on at all in the communication. Management also hardly keeps anyone informed about anything, and then get upset when people do not automatically know. Evening and weekend staff end up fending for themselves a lot, as management is not around during these hours. Most of the staff is not very up to date on their education, resulting in outdated practices. The front line staff, especially nurses and kitchen are great and work really hard. Coworkers really support each other, mostly because they don't trust management.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
Poorly managed top down

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.