Chartwell Retirement Residences
Coronavirus update
Information from Chartwell Retirement Residences:

Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Canada410 reviews
- Assisted a recreational therapist in activities and events for residents as well as conversing and filling out surveys with individual residents by myself
- Worked with nurses to distribute medication to residents who have them
Pros
Free meals
Cons
When I was there, I was hired part time...I work past the part time hours as the other employee would always call in sick. It was stressful at time dealing with management, as they didn’t appreciate any hard work done by employees unless you were on their favourite list. They would not hire full time, as they don’t want to pay for benefits. There are more staff that are part time than full time. Some of the staff were very unfriendly when I was first hired, which prompted me to have my lunch off the grounds. The only great part about working here was the residents....they made my day much happier and listening to their stories and getting to know each one was the best. The worst thing is when Chartwell rewarded you for a job well done, it was dollar store candies and a note that they wrote to you with spelling errors. Their parties for the staff was inside the building during the week, and the food was made by the chef....plus the boring games they would play. The wage wasn’t the best, and only working 24 hours a week....cannot live on that. I eventually found full time elsewhere and resigned
Pros
Residents
Cons
Low pay, poor management, unfriendly staff, no free meals, rewards were pathetic
Chartwell had a very good staff. Everyone was kind and got along very well. You get to work on your own and no one is breathing down your neck all day. I really really liked it at chartwell.
Cons
It was a temporary position which sucked.
Management is Condescending and not a great atmosphere. Expected to do what ever they tell u and do not question what u are told. Did not enjoy the management at all.
Pros
Residents are awesome
Management takes good care of employees by providing best of the facilities, technology, keeping everyone aware of what is happening, Social activities, training etc. Good collaborative team environment, good work life balance
Pros
Benefits and Facilities to employees
Cons
Interim manager and director could treat committed and qualified employees better
Working with seniors is very rewarding, it is work that truly is making a difference. That said, with the workload you have, you often feel underpaid and under-appreciated. Head Office at Chartwell is great and was very helpful in stepping in when we had a COVID outbreak, but local management in your home can be unprofessional and uncaring.

As working with seniors goes, Chartwell is a better company to work for than some (i.e. Sienna or government) but I've heard that other places, like Amica, are much better.

Overall, it's a hard job that's worth the struggle because you know you are really helping people. Not at all for the faint of heart.
Pros
Unionized
Beaucoup de travail et de responsabilité changement personnel très fréquent direction absente ou ou très dur a rejoindre on doit se battre afin avoir le nécessaire pour travailler.
Pros
Famille très proche des résidents
Cons
Salaire Bas et manque de budget.
Your pay is so poor cant live off it
Staff was very disrespectfull and dont get employees in trouble when they show up to work drunk or hung over very bad place to work except for the residents there the only reason i stayed so long
May I know that when we will get Ontario Top-up wages $4 as I am working at Chartwell Long term care (Essential service) but still now I don't get this Top-Up.
They lack appreciation to their employees who worked hard. Just little candy treats given for rewards.

I've been five years more working but still my salary would not help fed my family. A raise of cents per year cannot help me grow as a loyal employee as well as being passionate to the elders. I believe I deserved better than this job and can do more.
Great place to work. Not a good wage. They provide no benefits to there workers and refuse to increase their wage. The manager however the whole team are amazing f
25 May 2020
We appreciate you sharing this feedback. At Chartwell, we utilize all reviews to listen, learn and make improvements wherever possible, and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
When I began my psw career at The Wynfield, I had high hopes. The management was wonderful, the residents were kind and activities were plentiful. Towards my third year and after returning from Mat Leave all that changed. Management who were once so caring had either given up with the lack of funding, or had been replaced with slave drivers. From infighting between staff to management refusing to understand that many of their ‘assisted living’ residents required far more care than the two staff they provided they floor and the even more shocking allowing a resident to smoke in their suite (beside another resident on 24hr oxygen). The Wynfield was falling apart then and a fear for those residents who remain in that building. Do not walk away from this building, run.
21 May 2020
Though these are not typical of the comments we normally receive, we do appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. At Chartwell, we use all feedback as a tool to listen, learn and make improvements wherever possible, and it's this kind of feedback that allows us to do that.
I would not recommend Chartwell " Retirement" Residences to anyone. After my experience with the Niagara on the Lake location it is painfully obvious that senior on site management is made up of nurses whose ego is out of control. They cannot be trusted. Building cleanliness was very poor and on site psw's frequently went through my parents personal belongings. My mothers wedding ring was mysteriously removed from her finger - never to be found. Remember - Chartwell is an institution and you give up certain rights when you sign your loved ones over to them. If they weren't sick before they went in, give it a couple of weeks. Visit your loved ones whenever you can at different times of the day and not always on the same day. Check behind the furniture to make sure they are cleaning and most importantly - make sure you have a current and iron clad power of attorney for personal care for you family and trust no one.
Personally, my job was to lead engaging sessions with residences through board games, and interacted with residence in one on one situations. The job is quite relaxing and fun with the residence.
A very stressful environment and no respect for an employee.
only few VP doing whatever they want employees to work really hard VP to take the benefit of it. Bonus is almost nothing and no pay raise at all.

so much politics and they don't know the meaning of work-life balance for the employee.

Not recommended for career growth or anything at all. worse place to work
Constant stress of trying not to anger the residents. Staff and managers are only concerned with trying not to anger the residents. Instead they should be asking themselves, how can they make their living experience better, however that is not that case unfortunately.
Residents are great and so is venue. the teamwork is done well in managment and high retention. Certain jobs do suffer due to some managers style. For some reasons the union has had to step in for a few incidents for workers. Some managers model by stepping up and covering, others are happy to do min. The balance of managers, staff,union and government could improve.
I spent one day here and it was by far THE WORST NURSING EXP. of my life! Let me be VERY CLEAR- I have been a nurse for 9 years. I'm an excellent nurse and seasoned and this was a NIGHTMARE
-they did not inform the nurse she was training me so she had a break down when she saw me as she was on her 11 shift straight with many + Covid patients and barley any staff. She was completely exhausted very clearly over worked and it became evident they could care less about staff and they have zero respect for their nursing staff as they day progressed

-this was before management and her decided to have words with this nurse in front of me and all other staff including patients in the middle of the floor SO UNPROFESSTIONAL

-they tried to only give me one day of training as a RN as charge nurse in charge of 52 beds. I had to pretty much beg for a second day. They had the nerve to tell me that their nurses that are hired by them get three days orientation ( I went through an agency) as they work on multiple floors. CHARTWELL this makes zero sense. Its not the assessment staff struggle with its the processes. Processes are similar if not the same on floors. One day orientation is not adequate or acceptable. THIS IS UNSAFE FOR NURSES LICENSES AND PATIENTS HEALTH!!!! YOU SHOULD BE REPORTED FOR THIS. The reaction from management when I advised them I was not comfortable with one day training was on the line of bullying. They literally had the nerve to ask me "what I did all day" as if I did nothing all day !!!!!!! I did even have computer credentials the entire shift so I had no idea
 - more...
Is ok to work but don’t count on going up in the company.They can miss important details on residents present health issues and lead to serious consequences.Always look after residents not just the paperwork
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Need more knowledge Doctors and nurses
Different Managers, Different techniques. The management team there when I was employed was very stressful to deal with. They pitted employees against each other. Moral was very down and everyone was walking on eggshells. If the head of the building did not like you, they found reasons to write you up even if they were untrue or months before they were hired.
Chartwell is the best company to work for in the seniors housing industry. You need to have passion to work in this sector. I recommend Chartwell to anyone who wants to work with an organization who cares about seniors and employees. Great culture!
4 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We really appreciate the kind words.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7