Chapman's Ice Cream
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Working at Chapman's Ice Cream: Employee Reviews

Canada94 reviews

creamiceshiftfreesupervisorweekworkerlong

You are a number and a scapegoat

Basically all a production line workers job is to put ice cream in boxes, make sure nothing goes wrong (which is impossible) and be a punching bag for the supervisors to yell at even if you are trying to prevent an issue. Management is borderline terrible. Whoever makes the schedules is clueless about where they put people and their capabilities. You WILL get screwed over. It’s just a matter of when. Everyone with a higher position than the typical line worker is power tripping and will talk down to you except for the select few that know this job is a joke. You literally get a $4 off coupon on your birthday even though ice cream is free there. Terrible terrible place to work. Whoever says it isn’t is delusional.

Pros

Free ice cream.

Cons

Literally everything

Why I left

I started working here almost 2 years ago and what I ended up doing was not what I had agreed upon in the interview. Hours completely different and in all honesty, for a driver, the pay is not that great. Sure free ice cream….. the novelty wears off pretty fast.

Pros

Free ice cream, free Chapmans merchandise

Cons

1, Lazy, condescending managers who think because they have been their since high school, they can be rude and overbearing.

Insights into Chapman's Ice Cream

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Extremely stressful, Management is negligent and pushes problems onto the next person.

The job is extremely stressful, The Branch of the office that is in charge of scheduling is out of touch with thier workers and constant make scheduling mistakes or change shifts last minute. You could be scheduled for one shift when you leave work and when you come in for start up the next week its another. you could be late, or waiting 2 hour for your shift to start.

Pros

Free ice cream

Cons

Long hours, Mind numbing labor, Terrible for mental&physical health.

Not a fun place to work

Lack of employees means u move up quick as a competent person but the more u do the more they expect and the majority of supervisors and managers also suck and are as bad for avoiding their responsibility’s as the rest of employees

About the job

You get full benefits, at Christmas you get a turkey a gift n Christmas bonus, they are strict about hygiene n washing your hands plus sanitizing to, there's all different positions to pick from.

Toxic environment

I worked at Chapman's for a week and a half and promptly left. Do with that what you will. I was given dirty looks and laughed at by the supervisors when reporting an incident and followed around by them for the rest of the day while they pointed at me and spoke about me to each other (all with the same dirty looks that I got while reporting the incident). Management and supervisors treat you with no respect and as if you are an idiot. The leadhands and helpers wander around to avoid doing actual work and if you do your job and inform them of an issue, you will be reprimanded as if you caused it. You are expected to clean just about everything while also running a line. Supervisors will stare blankly at you while you ask for help but if you stop because you can't continue and set off the e-stop, they will reprimand you. You are just a number to them and they set you up for failure even if you're good at the job. Most of the people you'll work with have been there for years and know everyone else and don't like to let new people in. It's a very closed off, toxic environment with a revolving door of new employees.Also don't expect PPE to be where you're told/shown it will/should be and expect the person you ask about it to be mad that you didn't know where it is.If you need the money, go for it, but just keep in mind you will be treated poorly. My advice is to keep your head down and shut up while you look for better work.

It's a nightmare

Management is disgusting. Because so much of upper Management is related by being mother, father ,spouce, sister,brother, or child it has created a toxic atmosphere. Your shamed for missing any kind of time, including funerals. 0 absences are expected here.You clock in at start of shift and also clock in and out for breaks and lunch, so you best not be a second late, or you will be docked. Employees do all the cleaning. Bathrooms, lunch room, hallways,windows, etc. Sure you get free ice cream, but good luck finding a Management member to sign you out some, and make sure you have a reciept. Would I recommend working here? Definitely not, simply because of Management.

Not recommended, staff are hired and fired quickly, very high worker turnover

Not recommended, staff are hired and fired quickly, very high worker turnover. Very stingy on breaks, basically own all the jobs in the town, low competition.

Pros

Free Ice cream

Cons

It will destroy your dental health

Honest review

Management (supervisors, plant manager) will give you dirty looks even with having family members there. Until they realize who you are they won't care for you at all. Hazard pay (+$2hr) was kept mostly to keep employees happy over these tough times and to make sure the company looks good to the public. Your hours are rarely ever consistent. Production work can be mind numbing and you won't always get good co-workers. Piling is absolutely terrible, from Leadhands and helpers not wanting to do anything, to getting yelled at, working multiple lines at once. On a good day in piling you may have 15 people and on a bad day maybe 10. Well guess what, you'll still be running all the normal lines they don't care to shut 1-2 down to help out (it's all about money to them). There are times where you won't rotate and be stuck on one line for your whole shift/week. Don't expect your breaks to be on time by any means. The cafe prices have gone up and you don't always get what you order or an amount worth the money you spend. Maintenance; some good workers, tons of terrible workers. Most will stare at the machine hoping it'll fix its self. 90% have no idea what they are doing. Can turn a wrench a little bit and will say "should work good now" then proceed to disappear and it's still running like before .. people come and go so fast there is almost no point in remembering a name. Human Resources can be helpful sometimes but not always. My advice is; if you need money and want an easy hire, then yes apply.. but constantly be looking for something else. Just remember you can always be replaced.

Pros

Benefits, Rrsp, ice cream

Cons

Ice cream, management, hours

They don’t care

Management is on an ego trip, and never actually give a darn what you say, just try to belittle you from day one , false accusations and quick to judge and will not listen to what you have to say

Pros

Free ice cream weekly

Cons

Managers are idiots

Great place

Chapman's is the greatest place I have ever worked for in my entire life. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a job in a warehouse/production setting.

Pros

Mostly

Cons

Not many

Mind numbing boring place to work full of people with no common sense

Most of the Maintenance crew is full of people who don’t want to work and and hardly know what their doing. They will do everything they can to avoid working. Maintenance management never leaves their offices and doesn’t enforce any sort of rules. If you start here and have good work ethic be prepared to have to carry your shift through the day.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Only 8 hour shifts, coworkers are lazy, no one has common sense, management sucks

Most people will not welcome you or be friendly when you are new.

Only work here (in production) if you have very thick skin, because most people will not be welcoming or kind until you’ve been there for a while. It is not uncommon to be bullied, and Management and HR never take it seriously or get rid of the bullies. Plant management and supervisors are inconsistent, as very few are friendly and helpful, and some seem to enjoy making you fearful of losing your job or being sent home.

Pros

Eligible to take two free units of damaged product home per shift

Cons

If you have anxiety, a stress disorder or any mental health issues, don’t expect anybody to be sensitive to that at all.

Good company but...

They are a very good company and they treat you well but the distribution side is extraordinarily poor run which leads to a lot of frustration. If that does not bother you I would recommend them.

Pros

Paid for a full week even if you don't work every day.

Cons

Very early starts, very disorganized at times.

Extremely repetitive

You will be told at your interview that they will rotate you frequently so you are not doing the exact same thing all shift. That is only true of you work on the packaging side. If you are made a piler you will stand at the end of a conveyor and stack ice cream onto skids all day long and never leave that spot for at least a week, potentially multiple weeks.The skids are directly on the concrete so you see most people bending over at the waist so its only a matter of time before people get hurt. Some lines also have you stack up over your head.Shift start times are constantly fluctuating as well so don't expect steady hours. You get your schedule for 2 weeks but the second week can be changed so you only know exact hours week to week.Decent benefits and rrsp matching if you can last

Pros

Free ice cream but you have to find a supervisor to sign it out, benefits

Cons

everything else

You are a number not a person

They do not care about you in anyway you are a worker bee in the hive you can be easily replaced and they make sure you know it. Most senior managers won't even make eye contact with you and if they do it's to give you dirty looks.

Pros

Free ice cream

Cons

Horrible job

Restrictive work environment, employees not respected, treated like children.

Very little positive to say.... nothing you can do is good enough. The company always wants more out of you without supporting compensation. You will be treated like a tool for a job that can be replaced as wanted.

Pros

Local

Cons

Poor business model

Toxic work environment

I have worked at a few manufacturing plants over the years and this was BY FAR the worst experience I have had. Extremely poor level of training, unorganized and hectic, and the bullying of staff from supervisors is at epidemic levels. Their HR department will initially come across as being helpful and concerned only to turn around and fire employees at an astonishing rate. With their extremely high employee turn over rate, surprised that this company manages to stay in business. Totally do NOT recommend.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Extremely bad work environment

Work place was relaxed, coved made everything a little hard to rate what a normal environment would have been.

The work was pretty straightforward but Covid 19 made relaxing into a routine tricky. Other then that I enjoyed my 3 month stay as a temporary hire. T

Great Ice Cream and Team Members

I enjoyed working at Chapman's, my team mates were awesome and we worked well together. Management were approachable and good to work with. I would recommend working at Chapman's, especially if you like ice cream.

Pros

Free Ice Cream

Cons

Cold environment, dress warm

What amazing place to work!

They have rotating days and afternoons and straight midnights. I’ve worked all 3 shifts and found it to be alright. The supervisors are easy to get along with and very understanding. This place is hands down one of the best places I’ve worked at. From the free Icecream to having 3 weeks off at Christmas , this place is the best place to work for!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chapman's Ice Cream. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement