Chapman's Ice Cream

Chapman's Ice Cream Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews
It was fun to work at Chapman's Ice Cream Factory eventhough it was the nightly sanitation department. Good camaraderie though our team was efficient at cleaning and finishing before shift end.
I enjoyed working at Chapman's, my team mates were awesome and we worked well together. Management were approachable and good to work with. I would recommend working at Chapman's, especially if you like ice cream.
Pros
Free Ice Cream
Cons
Cold environment, dress warm
They have rotating days and afternoons and straight midnights. I’ve worked all 3 shifts and found it to be alright. The supervisors are easy to get along with and very understanding. This place is hands down one of the best places I’ve worked at. From the free Icecream to having 3 weeks off at Christmas , this place is the best place to work for!
Chapmans is a great company to work for. I enjoy going to work everyday, and always feel like a member of the team. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a great job.
Well I think it could be a great place to work. I was in the nut house and all the supervisors were great. But there was alot of staff that was older women who ruined my time there. They were rude, disrespectful. And the pay is horrible for the work. And they want you to work every weekend in the summer.
HR love to suspend when it gets slow. They mandatory schedule you for 6 days a week in the summer, work you like a horse. The HR lady is literally the Devil. As soon as it gets slow, HR sits and watches everything you do on camera and punishes severely. 3 day suspension is common.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Suspensions
Attendance is key with this employer ,it will be based on year end bonus and annual reviews.There are employees with perfect attendance who rely on hardworking coworkers to do most of the work.
You learn to use a pump cart,operate cardboard compactor,clean toilets,mop floors,clean lunchrooms(some workers need a grownup high chair with a plastic sheet on floor.

Very high rate of employee turnover with this company,they should try to become one of the top 5000 company’s to work for in Canada.
Pros
From April until August work every Saturday.
Cons
Cleaning toilets
you work with good people but management will always push blame from their own actions down on employees and force specific shifts to pick up slack because managements kids didn't want to do the work
But they don't pay enough to cover the cost of living for most especially if you are filling up a couple of times a week to get there.it doesn't help someone for advancement in the company when its tied to attendance for the winter when alot of your employees drive a long distance and some wont risk there insurance going up to get there.
RUN!! This is a company with horrible management. They lack good work ethics and integrity. They are two faced bullies who make quick unjust decisions. They like to play psychological warfare on you to get you to say what they want you to say or to be a rat for them. They twist your words to mean something different than you intended and are easily offended. Hands down the worst HR (if you can even call them human). If you are educated and have opinions, this isn't the place for you.
All the rumours you hear in all the surrounding communities are 100% true and worse than you hear. Production staff can be amazing and fun, some are down right nasty, hostile and angry. Not a welcoming environment. But the amazing ones make it worth tolerating. And barely any free ice cream, always just popsicles. Most uniforms are disgusting and in poor repair. Foot wear is cheap quality and will get stolen by your co workers ( even though they are provided ) I could go on endlessly.
No room for advancement unless you’re related/know someone. No accommodation in the area, constantly being moved around from place to place. Extremely brain dead work and a very high stress environment due to bad machinery that needs constant maintenance. Supervisors and Plant managers were mostly okay, other employees were mostly nice.
Don't get your hopes up... skilled workers are hired, then let go for no reason just before 3 month probation is up. I was warned and didn't listen... got burned. Do yourself a favour and don't make the same mistake.
Though it is a stressful non-stop work environment (which is expected in a factory), coworkers and management make the experience enjoyable. Lots of camaraderie between employees, very comfortable, family feel.
It is not what you know, its who you know.

The ice cream dream is real. You spend 24 hours of the day at chapmans. and only 8 of them awake. The rest of your day is occupied by getting ready to go to, and unwinding from the brain dead hassle of chapmans.
Everything at first seems ok, until you find out how the plant and operations are run by poor management and under trained staff. This leads the company struggling to retain skilled and valuable employees and skimming by on newly trained ones on a rotating basis.
Management team including managers, supervisor are supportive and are doing excellent piece of work. Pay rate is also good. Extra hours are also good.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
No corns
The supervisors were all very kind and helped me as much as they could. I enjoyed my summer of working at Chapman's Ice Cream and I would both recommend that job to someone and go back.
Seasonal work...was only there from June to October....one bonus was free ice cream! This was a temporary position and was under contract at the time. It was my hope to attain full time employment however they ended my contract thus I had to take another job elsewhere.
Overall there is a huge lack of organization or care among the management & staff. During my time there I saw many not only legal violations, but also so many improper practices at play everyday. There is no regard for employees privacy, & good workers are used by lazy lifers that couldn't ever find another job.
*Save Yourself The Waste Of Time*

*Do Not Apply Here*
A typical day at Chapmans is EXHAUSTING. the shift change is no fun at all! Te people working with and around you are great! Proper break schedule, proper maintenance, management is made up of well-skilled employees. i learned how to work on a time-crunch, having to speed up my work to keep the factory from being set back, hardest part of the job is having to waste so much ice cream on the DAILY and not complain! most enjoyable part of the job is having to keep close eye to detail to make sure every ice cream is PERFECT
Pros
free ice cream
Cons
overtime
Long hours, bad breaks, work environment is unfriendly. There were times where management was very disorganized and would shift me around from one place to another not knowing where i was gonna be.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chapman's Ice Cream. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8