Chandos Construction

Chandos Construction Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews
Company culture shift from production and quality to looking out for friends only
Company culture has changed from being orientated to employing local workers to trying to promote themselves as a national company. While trying to self-promote as a national company they lost sight of local construction management jobs being important.

Distinct differences in treatment of field staff and office staff. Staffing options has transitioned to a friend system rather than merit and quality of work produced by staff.
Great place to work!
Working in the field, the typical day was 7:00 - 16:30 with 2 half hour breaks. The people I worked with were great mentors for me as a young apprentice, they were patient and happy to help me develop the skills I needed. I was paired up with various experienced journeymen with different backgrounds in construction which allowed me to learn a lot while working with Chandos. The human resources staff were always easily accessible when I needed, and they were there to help. The best part of the job were the people I worked with and the welcoming workplace culture. I would definitely recommend anyone to work with Chandos Construction.
great culture
The Chandos culture is one that treats everyone the same and treats them as a person and not just an employee.
The staff are all open and work together as a team.
Company in transition
Chandos is dedicated to the training of their employees. They are unsure of their direction at this present time and how that will sustain their company. There is great unrest as to the sustainability of employment among the field and office staff.
Innovative Company
Chandos is always open to change and innovation, in fact it's one of the hallmarks of its culture. They are collaborative and helpful, and provide ample opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Great support and mentors
Cons
Extremely high standards
good work enviorment
in all the time I have been here, I have had very little in the way of obstructing my way off getting projects completed. find that if you know what you are doing in a professional manner and follow the company guide lines. You will be left to manage projects as you see fit and rewards and compensation will be forwarded fairly based on project completion and success.
the co workers where really informative and helpful i would recommend this company to anyone
this job has taught me alot especially in the desired trade i wanted the whole entire company was very nice to me and especially other sub trades but i love that they were very great people
Organized, professional commercial contractor
I have enjoyed working for this company for years. I find that most workers that I have come into contact with are polite and friendly. I have not had major issues with foremen, but sometimes there are challenges with specific superintendents. Overall, safety is very valued and promoted and the pay and benefits are competitive. As with most general contractors, there is a tendency for project management to subcontract carpentry tasks which leaves less skilled work for carpenters to do. This can create a felling of lower self esteem, as we are not trained and trusted to do more.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits package
Cons
Advancement is not always available, skilled work is often subcontracted
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Chandos Construction?
Safe, Family Oriented Workplace
& am start 4:30 end time, understanding of each individuals capabilities. Wont push you beyond your limits but expect you to try. Depending on job site that you are placed expectations and flexibility are differed. Good people to work with,Great place to learn new things, most people are also willing to lend a hand if needed. Very professional as well, and very strict when it comes to harmful horseplay. harassment could be worked on.
good company
i had a great time with this company. they were very organized and there was a lot of room for growth. one of the few companies i've worked for where the employees bought shares in the company.
Pros
goo pay constant employment
Cons
working on the road alot
Very nice environment
Very nice and safe workplace, location is great. Work and family is well balanced. Supportive giving back to the community. Good benefits with company matching RRSP and dividends.
they really knew how to treat their employees
i really enjoyed this company and i sure an going to try and work with them again
i had an emotion depression and they were nothing but class with my leave
Safety meeting each and every morning.
Group meeting about location and ways to not get hurt. Explain duties where to work. Management posted signs everywhere. Hardest part of the job was getting home.
Pros
Didn't get hurt always home safe.
Cons
Workers were ignorant and unpolite.
dissapointing
The company is professional and typically does things by the book...mostly but seems to have no control over sub-contractors. They are trying to reinvent the wheel with IPD type jobs. They tout this integrated project delivery as the be all and end all in construction. They offer all kinds of training and seminars that the Chandos "inner party" take very seriously in their echo chamber meetings, but the reality is that ipd is not that different on a practical level. Maybe the difference is in the business aspect but most people on site couldn't care less. Every job I've been on in the past has been better for organization, teamwork, flow of information and management. I gave it a chance for a few months but I was looking for jobs after a few weeks
Pros
legit company with lots of work, company shares
Cons
poorly organized, internal politics are unavoidable
good Christmas parties
Enjoyed working there ,concrete super was good to work with. worked with a good crew ,unfortunately the work slowed and I got laid off . Would go back if I was able to
Reception was hard yet decent
Reception Position:

Thrown into the first day with no training; expect you to know your job inside and out within the first hour- hard to do if you've never done this before (especially with no training- the manual was my best friend), but I wish someone trained me so I would know what I was getting into.

Typical day: going through emails, sorting mail and giving invoices to appropriate accountants for specific jobs, ordering supplies, receiving incoming and outgoing mail/packages, answering phones and transferring calls, book meeting rooms, order food for meetings, etc.

My manager barely talked to me, and even when I first started she didn't help me.

Culture: Like high school with grown adults from ages 24-68; cliques were formed, some talked down to me. Some were really sweet and nice, mostly the older ladies who would bring in cookies and nanaimo bars. That was cool.

Hardest Part: Don't get taken as seriously as everyone else because of the position; no one tells you people dropping off packages can yell at you sometimes if you can't take them until the person they're delivered to gets there to sign.

Enjoyable Parts: Lunch & going home. Nanaimo bars.
Pros
okay pay, staff food
Cons
Stress
Liars, cheaters, no training or proper communication
Chandos has proven to be a terrible company to work with. They alienated me, put me on job sites with people that dont care about their job, gave me no mentor or person to learn from and then layed me off when i finally found someone to pull knowledge from.

They claim to be about open communication and innovation but its all a show. There is a new "initiative" every month and almost none are followed through on.

Multiple people fired for embezzlement over the last 3 years, people taking advantage of project owners everywhere, terrible client relationships mixed in with a few solid ones.
Cons
Management, Training and Mentorship
Horrible environment
By far one of the worst company's I have ever worked for, poor management and communication skills by the superiors. A typical day at the site involves zero instructions on what to do, leading to mindlessly walking around the site looking for tasks and jobs. Chandos shows lack of care for their employees, and treats them very unfairly. Pushing everyone to stay everyday for long hours to do jobs that should have been done throughout the day, hence lack of management skills. highly recommend not working for this company unless you enjoy being treated like a slave.
Pros
They actually paid me on time
Cons
long hours, treated poorly
Poorly managed
This company is poorly managed and often involved in litigation for project failures.
Lower level workers receive little or no upper management support.

High turnover rate of project managers and superintendents.
Pros
Non
Cons
Poorly managed
Good while it lasted
Well payed, But got let go for no given reason after 2 years. something seemed shady about that. The work was mostly general work, cleaning and odds and ends carpentry
Not what they seem!
What to say.....well.....the rich get richer there. No room for growth, no loyalty to employees, HR has loose lips. Work/life balance was good though.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Could care less about employees