Chandos Construction Employee Reviews

Safe, Family Oriented Workplace
APPRENTICE CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2019
& am start 4:30 end time, understanding of each individuals capabilities. Wont push you beyond your limits but expect you to try. Depending on job site that you are placed expectations and flexibility are differed. Good people to work with,Great place to learn new things, most people are also willing to lend a hand if needed. Very professional as well, and very strict when it comes to harmful horseplay. harassment could be worked on.
good company
Saskatoon - Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2019
i had a great time with this company. they were very organized and there was a lot of room for growth. one of the few companies i've worked for where the employees bought shares in the company.
Pros
goo pay constant employment
Cons
working on the road alot
Very nice environment
Estimating / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Very nice and safe workplace, location is great. Work and family is well balanced. Supportive giving back to the community. Good benefits with company matching RRSP and dividends.
they really knew how to treat their employees
Apprentice carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2018
i really enjoyed this company and i sure an going to try and work with them again
i had an emotion depression and they were nothing but class with my leave
Safety meeting each and every morning.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 September 2018
Group meeting about location and ways to not get hurt. Explain duties where to work. Management posted signs everywhere. Hardest part of the job was getting home.
Pros
Didn't get hurt always home safe.
Cons
Workers were ignorant and unpolite.
dissapointing
tech (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 July 2018
The company is professional and typically does things by the book...mostly but seems to have no control over sub-contractors. They are trying to reinvent the wheel with IPD type jobs. They tout this integrated project delivery as the be all and end all in construction. They offer all kinds of training and seminars that the Chandos "inner party" take very seriously in their echo chamber meetings, but the reality is that ipd is not that different on a practical level. Maybe the difference is in the business aspect but most people on site couldn't care less. Every job I've been on in the past has been better for organization, teamwork, flow of information and management. I gave it a chance for a few months but I was looking for jobs after a few weeks
Pros
legit company with lots of work, company shares
Cons
poorly organized, internal politics are unavoidable
good Christmas parties
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
Enjoyed working there ,concrete super was good to work with. worked with a good crew ,unfortunately the work slowed and I got laid off . Would go back if I was able to
Reception was hard yet decent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2018
Reception Position:

Thrown into the first day with no training; expect you to know your job inside and out within the first hour- hard to do if you've never done this before (especially with no training- the manual was my best friend), but I wish someone trained me so I would know what I was getting into.

Typical day: going through emails, sorting mail and giving invoices to appropriate accountants for specific jobs, ordering supplies, receiving incoming and outgoing mail/packages, answering phones and transferring calls, book meeting rooms, order food for meetings, etc.

My manager barely talked to me, and even when I first started she didn't help me.

Culture: Like high school with grown adults from ages 24-68; cliques were formed, some talked down to me. Some were really sweet and nice, mostly the older ladies who would bring in cookies and nanaimo bars. That was cool.

Hardest Part: Don't get taken as seriously as everyone else because of the position; no one tells you people dropping off packages can yell at you sometimes if you can't take them until the person they're delivered to gets there to sign.

Enjoyable Parts: Lunch & going home. Nanaimo bars.
Pros
okay pay, staff food
Cons
Stress
Liars, cheaters, no training or proper communication
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 December 2017
Chandos has proven to be a terrible company to work with. They alienated me, put me on job sites with people that dont care about their job, gave me no mentor or person to learn from and then layed me off when i finally found someone to pull knowledge from.

They claim to be about open communication and innovation but its all a show. There is a new "initiative" every month and almost none are followed through on.

Multiple people fired for embezzlement over the last 3 years, people taking advantage of project owners everywhere, terrible client relationships mixed in with a few solid ones.
Cons
Management, Training and Mentorship
Horrible environment
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2017
By far one of the worst company's I have ever worked for, poor management and communication skills by the superiors. A typical day at the site involves zero instructions on what to do, leading to mindlessly walking around the site looking for tasks and jobs. Chandos shows lack of care for their employees, and treats them very unfairly. Pushing everyone to stay everyday for long hours to do jobs that should have been done throughout the day, hence lack of management skills. highly recommend not working for this company unless you enjoy being treated like a slave.
Pros
They actually paid me on time
Cons
long hours, treated poorly
Poorly managed
Senior Superintendent for a problem site (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2017
This company is poorly managed and often involved in litigation for project failures.
Lower level workers receive little or no upper management support.
High turnover rate of project managers and superintendents.
Pros
Non
Cons
Poorly managed
Good while it lasted
CONCRETE FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2017
Well payed, But got let go for no given reason after 2 years. something seemed shady about that. The work was mostly general work, cleaning and odds and ends carpentry
Not what they seem!
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
What to say.....well.....the rich get richer there. No room for growth, no loyalty to employees, HR has loose lips. Work/life balance was good though.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Could care less about employees
Very safe work place
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
Chandos construction was a very safety oriented company. The wages were a bit in the low side and management didn't really get back to you. Overall decently happy
Pros
Long hours and lots of overtime
Cons
Lots of down time between jobs
Medium sized construction company, expanding to a larger company.
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2016
Chandos is a great place to work with lots of young and energetic employees. It is a very fast paced environment with tight deadlines and tight financial guidelines. Chandos is a demanding employer, and a sacrifice of time on the employees part was not uncommon. With this thou comes the reward of an expanding company and the chance for advancement.
Pros
Their generosity in giving all employees hoodies, shirts, hats, and other swag.
Cons
The almost expectation of working overtime constantly.
lots of great employees
Apprentice Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2016
Good company to work for. Great benefits. always a good working environment on sites. worked on many different projects with them for years
A great place to be
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2016
Chandos is a great employer overall. You will not feel like a number here and the company employees are friendly and approachable. They are company owned, so they offer great profit sharing opportunities - starting at one year of employment. Many of the senior managers of the companies who have been with the company for 15+ years are said to be millionaires. The company believes in developing it's employees. The CEO is well respected throughout the construction community and meets with it's staff quarterly(all pm's, pc's, superintendents, foremen, marketing staff, estimators) to brief them on the direction of the company and does a great job at keeping people in the loop. They are constantly looking at new ways to improve. The Edmonton and Calgary office both have a different dynamic in their workplace and both feel different, which is to be expected when not at headquarters. The Calgary office has done a great job at integrating and making a place for themselves in the Calgary community and has grown that branch quickly.
Pros
paid leadership conferences, paid training and memberships, summer bbq's
Cons
long hours, slow to promote, low base salary, no internal mentorship program
First Job in Canada!
General foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2015
Thie was my first job in Canada. Here I learned the differences between the building methods at home in Ireland and here in Canada.
great company with lots of room to grow within it.
labour (Former Employee) –  grande prairie alberta1 April 2014
I felt that it did not suit me for it had required me to travel around alot and i had just become an Alberta resident and needed a local job. That I can build from.
Pros
very good pay and long hours
Cons
Having to travel far
no work for long periods of time
zoom boom operator (Current Employee) –  calgary26 March 2014
I have been a chandos employee for just under a year now and i have currently been set aside to sit at home until work ramps up but the communication as to when ill be back to work is totally unprofessional! its been almost 3 weeks since ive had work and whenever i got a call for odd jobs to pick up in the mean time, they would be picked up by someone else! not to mention i would get calls at 9 pm at night and would miss the calls dues to personal reasons but would later return the phone calls as early as 7 am or 15 mins later and never did anyone pick up when i called back and my job would be gone never did i get information on the job that im being asked to go to or never did i ever get left a voicemail
Pros
you get to have a life outside of work
Cons
shortage of work