Challenger Geomatics Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Is one of the most diverse geomatics companies in Canada
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2015
Challenger has a dedicated team of professionals who have successfully executed survey and mapping projects in western Canada and across the North

Employees at every level of the Company are responsible and accountable for health and safety performance

Challenger supports, participates in, and is dedicated to research, education, and promotion of health and safety both on and off the job
Exciting Workplace
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton18 August 2014
A typical day at work is checking backups and server logs to see if there is trouble in services. Aside from this, troubleshooting client users issues, such as file restoration from backups, printer/plotter issues and mapped drives.

In a not so busy day, I involved myself on studying technologies and researching on how to improve our departments services, by anticipating any events that may result to downtime to any services.
First job out of college, great company
Surveyor/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray and Calgary26 May 2014
Gained a ton of field experience with Challenger.
Learned how to perform and complete various types of surveys from highly trained and educated individuals.
Management was very organized and helpful
Co workers were mostly great people and fun to work with.
Hardest part of the job was being on the road for unforeseen amounts of time.
I really enjoyed the mixture of jobs. From helicopter-in oil well jobs to snowmobile heave monitoring, i had many great experiences.
Pros
lots of different jobs and good experience
Cons
pay was fairly low
Small office feel
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 May 2014
Challenger had a very "at home" feel to it. You could be candid with your bosses, and they seemed to respect your input. Work was not entirely consistent, but it was well presented and the office staff does a good job of providing important information to do your job, and the equipment necessary.

They were very flexible with personal usage of company trucks as well.

My negative experiences with Challenger were based on two factors: The work they have isn't always desirable. It wasn't often we were given jobs that wouldn't wear you down quickly. Expect a lot of long hours and long days.

My second negative experience was in relation to benefits. Before being laid off, I was advised that I was eligible for certain employee benefits, and would be paid out that additional income in addition to the severance they offered me prior to being laid off. When the time came to receive my severance, they advised me that the additional funds I was "previously eligible for" was not paid out because I was no longer an employee, and therefore ineligible for that benefit.
Pros
Home feel, good office support, good equipment
Cons
Long hours, questionable ethics on HR policies.