CH2M Employee Reviews

Exclusive Culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2018
CH2M is a good work/life balance place. However the culture is very exclusive and not open or welcoming new hires. Unless you know somebody inside, it will be too difficult to secure enough work load for yourself.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
difficult to get into the culture
working in CH2M is good
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  CALGARY AB22 May 2018
I do enjoy working while I was on duty. Once when a job is assigned to me. It is always a good challenge to me. To have a mission accomplished on time in a good order manner will bring me the most successful feeling. Every single day is a new lesson to me. Learning is a life time ongoing process that you can learn how to learn. Management is something you have follow others direction. I hate to be managed by others. instead I like to manage others without let them know they are being managed. Regarding workplace culture, I can easily be fitted in the Organization as a key member and bring in value to that organization. When some one say the coffee cup is half empty I can always agree that it is also half full. Flexibility is key factor to bring the other party to work with you. The hardest part of the job is boring. I never fell bore, those companies I once worked for, have brought me a group of people as my friends. I enjoy people and how to work with people. The key success in my job assignment is deal with people.
Pros
having mission accomplished at all cost
Cons
Not enough Pros to me in itself is Cons
Very good workplace
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2018
The leadership is great, and employees support to grow their careers within the company. Company culture is great and everyone who works here is passionate about what they do.
US ownership, all about the bottom line. Don't understand Canadian culture and employment standards like maternity leave.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2018
Cost cutting instead of revenue building in order to appease shareholders and reach the bottom line, Terrible company. US ownership, not really interested in learning Canadian culture, holds the US-centric ideals, and ask silly questions about the amount of snow etc. One manager refused to travel to Toronto until the summer when the climate in his state was much worse.
Pros
work at home on occasion
Cons
expected to be available at all hours via phone, text, email
Think twice befor apply
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 November 2018
I worked for 2weeks the company sold 2 times
Manager, Supervisor and a worker from the same town
The manager has no kind of communication All favoursim discrimination. Safety means don't speak up
Is not good for immigrants
Pros
Close to town
Cons
You got fly
Great team to work with
Document Control Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2014
Participate in Project Services meetings under Project Services Manager with
other project services management team members.
Participate in other management meetings and project meetings as required
Coordinate with other managers to actively insure adaptation of new or existing software systems are utilized as appropriate.
Arrange for and insure all DC staff are appropriately trained for their roles.
Work with all DC staff to charter them in their roles, both generally and project specific as appropriate.
Provide detailed estimates for Document Control Services for all new projects.
Participate in all project coordination, kick-off, alignment, and weekly meetings as required
Pros
great benefits
Cons
long long hours
Very productive and fullfiling place to work.
Hydro Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 February 2017
Started work at 6:00 a.m. Had our PTI meeting with the guys ,outlined our plan of the day ,did stretches, made sure the work place was safe. I made sure that packages were ready when the men needed them, had items they needed to complete their tasks was at the proper place. Asked the guys to report on their progress periodically. Some days I would be pulling on wrenches with the guys creating morale. Management was excellent to deal with and was always open to different ideas coming from the supervisors or the men on deck . The workplace culture was always about safety and maintaining a positive work force. There were times working with QC time schedules that would make it difficult . The gang was always glad to see each other and worked well together. Great comradery.
Pros
Balance between life and work
Cons
end of job
Productive and competative
Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2017
its a good place to work especially if your an engineer.

Many changes are happening right now in the company.

Company just got sold to Jacobs.

i amalso the Office Safety Coordinator in charge of the first aid team and fire teams. Resposible for all Health and Safety concerns in the office.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
many lay offs have been in the works and more to come. also no msp coverage
Bridge Deck Tester
Bridge Deck Tester (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2018
I learned and grew as an employee. I had a great summer position with CH2M. On Monday's the crew would leave and travel to bridges throughout Alberta. Testing included rebar, debonding, delamination, and corrosive testing. The hours were 12-14 hour days with great potential to make overtime.
CH2M Hill
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Statoil Conklin, Alberta31 January 2014
My experience was a first as a camp job. I enjoyed it very much along with the benefits and opportunities to meet new people. The safety aspect is incredible and work was enjoyable. I am looking forward to my next opportunity in the construction field looking for another camp job. 14/7 is preferable.
Pros
many perks and rewards for safety promotion
Cons
some camps were worse than others
Professional and Courteous
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 January 2018
Well educated individuals who collaborated well together and assisted each other when and where possible. Respectful of others and their role within the organization. Collaborative and communicative throughout the organization. Well respected by all and a solid and good reputation out in the field. Loved working here.
Nice experince
Manager C/S (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2016
It was great experience working with CH2M.
Projects were challenging, team was great, management was good.
Just job security was always an issue especially in Oil and Gas business group.
Pros
Chalenging work, great team, great work environment
Cons
job security was always an issue
Ideal work environment
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worley Parsons Calgary Canada14 February 2018
Employees have a clear sense of purpose; employees understand their immediate and long-term goals.leadership established a clear purpose for the organization
Laying off good staff all the time
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary17 September 2014
This company is not making a profit and has not done so for a long time. It laid off lots of good staff this year after they bought Tera Environmental Consultants. They cannot get a foothold in Alberta. There are far better companies to work for than this one. They go on and on about their little yellow book and how you should enjoy working there. They make you work long hours with little or no reward. The only reason this company is advertising jobs is to try and save face.

Advice - stay away from CH2MHILL!
Pros
Could be a great company if they respected their staff
Cons
Always making you justify your position.
Excellent company with excellent employees
Heavy Equipment Operator/HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC21 January 2015
Great coworkers, good management.
Comfortable accomodations, job security.
Safe Environment with a team culture
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB6 January 2015
Excellent company which offers good opportunities and benefits in a work safe environment.
Pros
Job recognition, with a good salary
Cons
Working away from home
Review of 4 Month Contract
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenland15 November 2013
Found all personnel with CH2 approachable and professional. Probably the best managers I have had the opportunity to work for. Most difficult aspect of the job was remote location and solid 4 month duration. Most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers.
Pros
Good salary, including hazard pay.
Cons
Remote location
Excellent company to work for!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON10 December 2016
Co-workers are amazing to work with and management is excellent! The best part of the job is the work environment, very friendly and helpful staff.
Similar to other big construction firms
Pipefitter foreman (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB7 May 2014
I was on two different jobs with this company the first one I really did not like. This was mostly due to the overwhelming amount of temporary forgien workers (very little english spoken on the jobsite). The second job was very good I advanced my career and made a lot of money.
Productive and fun days at work.
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC22 March 2013
For CH2MHILL we started work at 7 am and finished at 6:30 pm. Every morning before work we had a morning safety meeting then we were given our task and told who we were working with. Before starting work we had to go to the area we were working in and look around for hazards and then fill out a FLHA. Everyday was different. Some days at work I was doing hydro tests all day and other days I was prepping lines for hydro tests. When prepping the line we had to follow through the line with the ISO to make sure all the pipe was in place. We had to install pancakes and/or blinds for the high point and low point limits. I worked with a good crew that taught me a lot about different things in the oilfield.
Pros
worked with a lot of good people, work day to day was not repetitive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CH2M. Our community is ready to answer.