CFIB- CANADIAN FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT BUSINESS

CFIB- CANADIAN FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT BUSINESS Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Toronto, ON10 reviews
CFIB is a place where everyone works towards supporting the local economy. It provides Purpose to your routine. There are people of all ages and there is no time to be lazy. Everyone rolls up their sleeves. The President and CEO is very personable and approachable. For those bilingual, it's a great place to be to use your French as a large number of employees are bilingual.
17 July 2020
Thanks for the very nice message. Yes, I hear the President is quite personable too (ha!)

I appreciate your support of the team and cause. We really do have an awesome group of people working at CFIB and it is a big part of why we have so many staff with 10, 20, 30 and, in a few cases, 40 years of service at the Federation. It is also great to work in a bilingual environment in Toronto and across the country. I am so impressed with how many of our colleagues speak both French and English fluently, especially as I continue to push myself to use French more every day.

Wishing you nothing but the best in the future.

Dan Kelly, President and CEO
Working for a company with such a great philosophy and a great team work environment is the reason why CFIB is in my opinion the best place to work at. As a recruiter i was really happy with the office environment and the amazing management. EVERYONE, is very supportive and happy, it brought some great experience and knowledge to myself. After moving on from my position, i would go back to CFIB in a heartbeat! GO CFIB
Pros
free coffee, donuts, cookies, great teams, happy environment, minimal stress
13 May 2019
Thank you very much for the encouraging words. I just celebrated my 25th anniversary with CFIB and I agree that the mission and corporate culture are hard to beat. Our Toronto office is filled with committed professionals who help serve our 110,000 members and 400 employees. I really appreciate the time you took to write and wish you the best in your new role. As you likely know, we have many colleagues that return to CFIB after gaining experience elsewhere and we’re always happy to have strong performers come back in the future.

Dan Kelly, President and CEO
A 48 sentence, 6 page script that has to be memorized word-for-word and used on every single sales call is a bit too much. The secret to sales is listening, not talking. Most potential clients do not want to listen to half the presentation.
If you understood this, the membership numbers would not be stagnant at the 110,000 level over the past 5 years.
Pros
Good cause
Cons
Outdated sales mentality and approach.
5 November 2018
Thanks for the feedback on the cause and our approach. I am really happy you identified with the cause that we represent at CFIB. It sounds like you share the view that small business owners don’t get anywhere near the degree of respect that they deserve. Our work to improve the odds of business owners’ success not only helps the business owner him or herself, but also helps grow the Canadian economy. If someone is looking for work with meaning, we can deliver on that in spades.

I also appreciate your comments about our sales script. I am happy to report that we are currently working on an updated, much simpler and shorter approach to presenting the great things we do to members and prospective members. This is, in part, based on feedback that we’ve received from our team. I continue to support the importance of a consistently delivered sales presentation as we have over 200 District Managers who work with a high degree of autonomy. I take very seriously our obligations to work with high integrity and, as a result, want to ensure that our members from coast to coast are left with a solid understanding of the many things we do on their behalf, and also what we don’t do.

But I agree that we can find a better way to present this to the public and we have already made significant progress on making this happen. More will be shared with our team in the weeks ahead. Thanks again for sharing your constructive advice. Dan Kelly, President and CEO.
A fantastic organization that listens to its people, takes their views and opinions into consideration before making final decisions. If you can work in a very isolated role with little to no pier communication, this is the place for you. The pay structure and work/life balance is second to none. Managers are there if you need them, but not on your back as long as you are hitting your targets, which are incredibly realistic, you will love this job.
If you need more social interaction with colleagues and can't take a lot of no's, reconsider. This is a sales role and it takes knocking on doors to hit your targets. Again, this can be accomplished, but if you don't go out every day and cold call, you won't make the money.
Pros
Work/life balance and pay structure
Cons
Sales with a lot of rejection and time on your own.
7 November 2018
Thanks very much for the positive comments. I think you accurately describe the many wonderful (and challenging) parts of the job. We try hard to ensure we create roles with good work/life balance and the flexibility the District Manager job allows helps us attract many great people. You are right that the job isn’t for everyone, but those who are looking for a solid income while doing work with great meaning find a terrific home at CFIB. That is why we are proud to have dozens of employees with 25, 30 and now even 40 years of employment at CFIB (I will celebrate my 25th anniversary next spring). Thanks again for writing and please don’t be shy about sharing any advice with me directly on an ongoing basis.

Dan Kelly, President and CEO
Lots of freedom to manage your own schedule. Very little sales team culture due to geography and a lack a funding for sales meetings / sales gatherings. Amazing resources and benefits for small business owneres
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Compensation is not anywhere near what is promised.
13 February 2018
Thanks for the feedback, particularly about the terrific cause that drives us at CFIB. I completely agree that the resources and benefits for members are second to none and I know our District Managers take great pride in sharing our victories and battles with members. You also noted the benefit of the freedom the job allows. This is certainly one of many benefits of working at CFIB, but it should be noted that the degree of freedom can create challenges for those who do not treat the District Manager role as a full-time job. Our new compensation plan delivers on our promises to staff, but only when team members ensure they are holding up their end of the commitment. As for sales meetings, we have made many recent investments in training and coaching our team members. In fact, early today, I spent an hour with 4 new recruits taking on District Manager roles in various parts of Canada. Obviously, as a non-profit association, we don’t have unlimited funds, but our training and coaching is at a higher level than ever, including paid DM orientation in Toronto and regional meetings across the county. Feel free to share any other thoughts directly with me anytime. Again, thanks for your helpful comments. Dan Kelly, President and CEO.
Great and supportive working environment. The staff are excellent and you really feel like you're making a difference in business owners lives going to work here every day
13 February 2018
Thanks very much for your comments on the people, culture and cause at CFIB. You’ve certainly identified the main reasons we have such a large number of employees who have been with the Federation for 20, 30 and in a couple of cases, 40+ years. We’ve worked hard to make CFIB a great place for strong performers to have meaningful careers. Whether or not our colleagues start off with a small business background, most can very quickly get behind the cause of supporting small business owners (especially after the many curve balls our federal and provincial governments have thrown at entrepreneurs). We have a terrific team and I’m very happy you appear to be enjoying your career so far. In addition to your helpful post, please don’t be shy to reach out to me directly for feedback (positive or otherwise) and your ideas. Thanks again. Dan Kelly, President and CEO.
If you are looking to make a career, this is not the job for you. Great for University Grads or People looking close to retirement.
This concept of helping small to medium side businesses is good however be prepared for a lot of rejections. You spend a lot of time on your own. Support is there at the beginning however it quickly vanishes.

Not meeting your sales numbers, Management make's your life like VERY DIFFICULT

100% COMMISSION IS A THING OF THE PAST. NO CAR ALLOWANCE OR VERY LITTLE FOR NEW HIRES.

THE BONUS STRUCTURE IS OUTDATED AND VERY HARD TO MAINTAIN.

TOP MANAGEMENT HEAVY AND LOT'S OF CLOSE FRIENDS WORK IN MANAGEMENT.
Pros
It's like running your own Franchise however your are not paid that way.
Cons
Long hours, lots of rejection, very little support and too much favouritism.
2 November 2017
Thanks for the feedback from your time at CFIB. I’m glad you identify with CFIB’s mission of helping small businesses. After our giant campaign against the federal tax changes, small businesses are recognizing more than ever that they need an advocacy organization that has their backs. We’re certainly seeing a nice uptick in membership as a result.

You are right that there is a lot of time on your own in the District Manager position. I know it wasn’t for you, but for many others, the independence of the position is one of the attractive features of working at the federation. While you note the initial support you received, we are working harder than ever to provide more ongoing support and coaching. Of course, we do count on our employees to let us know when additional support is needed. To be in a position to offer ongoing support to our 200 District Managers across Canada, we do need to have a fairly large group of strong managers. In fact, we just added a few new talented managers to ensure we can improve the help we can provide to our new District Managers.

We’ve also made significant changes to our commission, bonus and expense allowances based on feedback from District Managers. I’m sorry the position wasn’t for you, but we work hard every day to make CFIB a terrific place for our staff to build a meaningful career.

Dan Kelly, President and CEO
Job entails signing new members to the small business advocacy group. So there is a lot of cold calling and the inevitable rejection along with it. The problem is that businesses receive the benefit of membership regardless if they join or not. If you do take over a territory expect either to be asked 'so your the new person and how long are you going to last?' or 'as I said to the last person I'm not interested in joining or rejoining'. So hopefully you will go into a territory will some low hanging fruit, if not, its a real grind.

That being said, it is a very good sales learning ground for newer motivated sales people that can build character and skill. You receive constant encouragement and training to help you succeed. So the people you work with are excellent and really supportive.
Pros
Great support, training and encouragement
Cons
Rejection, poor prospects, 100% commission
Comment – 1 June 2016
We take feedback from our current and former employees very seriously. We also know that the District Manager role is challenging and is not the right fit for everyone. We admire the work our 200+ District Managers around the country do for CFIB every day, their belief in our mission to support independent business in Canada and commitment to success. We thank you for your contribution while you worked for us and wish you all the best of success with your future career choices.
The values and cause of the company is great however the old school approach of door knocking to get business is a tough one to do day in and out. Typical day is parking your vehicle in your designated territory and pounding the pavement knocking on independant business owner's doors in hope of getting a moment of their time to do your presentation. This is the hardest and most frustrating part of the position. The interaction with people, the discussions, educating and helping was the highlight.
Pros
the cause, the people
Cons
door knocking, cold calling
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CFIB- CANADIAN FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT BUSINESS. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8