Century Casino Calgary Employee Reviews

Some changes are definitely needed....
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2019
Games, Security and Surveillance seem to have it together...or maybe they don’t..... Food and Beverage, Kitchen and Marketing definitely struggle. Some policies and procedures were great, however some are completely bizarre.

The volume of patrons is low, leaving it impossible for decent ring outs and you’ll never walk out with anything logical from your sales, at best 1-8% . No matter how good of a server you are.

Potential to be a busy place, If marketing existed and people knew the place existed. Until then, the managers will continue to keep busy concentrating on things that don’t even pertain to the industry. Leaving a somber environment.

Perhaps a overhaul on the marketing department would be a good start.

Great work environment- if you’re into doing side duties 3x a shift to feel like you’ve done something productive.
Pros
The other servers were awesome to work with.
Cons
I don’t have time to write a novel.
Horrible management
Bowling/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2019
I worked on the bowling side and would not recommend this place ! There are other companies such as Mountainview Bowl and Lets Bowl that treat their employees a lot better. It’s all gossip and horrible management
Pros
Free bowling
Cons
Everything else!
Horrible place to work, just another number
Certified Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2019
Terrible place to work, every string is pulled to save on cost. pay is horrible. food is terrible. management is terrible and conspire and talk like little kids in high school. surveillance manager watches the cameras and makes racist jokes about employees, laughing at them about there appearance.
It’s a terrible atmosphere and emotionally taxing, I say avoid this place at all costs.
Cons
This Casino/Bowling alley is falling apart.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 January 2019
At one time Century Casino was an excellent place to work. The OWNERS are great, but the management is struggling. ( Including the new GM ) If you are looking for consistancy, Century is NOT the place for you. The management team is a ROTATING DOOR and has been for some time. They will allow their staff to struggle, instead of hiring capable staff. Staff making minimum wage are REQUIRED to train new management. Completely unfair. Egos in management get the best of some people. (bad look) Century has lost some really fantastic staff over the past year. Many laid off WITHOUT an explanation. Some quit because they just could not handle the INCONSISTENCY anymore. I would NOT recommend this place. The entry level staff and SOME supervisors really made my time here enjoyable. Overall, please dont let the smiling faces fool you. Most of the staff is un happy and unappreciated, and you will end up that way as well.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Awful management
Management and disrespectful/ abusive treatment
Activities (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2018
Most disrespect I have ever seen to workers. Won't pay overtime. Yell at employees for no reason. Monster managers who don't know the how to do the job if they were asked. Blames mistakes made by the managers on their employees and rights up the workers because they can't do the managers jobs up to their standards.
Look else where for employment
Pros
Free bowling.
Cons
Mental health distruction, Managers sit in office all day gossiping about which employee they hate that day, Disrespectful
Management dislikes military personnel
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 September 2018
It used to be great, shift work for someone who works shift work at another job and it’s super simple, great co workers, unfortunately all the good ones quit or got forced out.
I could give countless examples of abuse from management, who literally told me “if someone finds the word DOG offensive, it’s harassment” but I think I can sum up their attitude towards subordinates in a way offensive to all.
I’m with a reserve military unit in Calgary, but sometimes we take contracts for full time military work where we go over seas. I got accepted into a hard to get contract and months in advance I gave my them notice that I was going away. They told me I had to chose between my military career or my part time job at the casino.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Good coworkers all left
cheapest place imaginable
SURVEILLANCE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
this place will do whatever they can to save a buck at your expense. i have never felt so little appreciation for everything that i did. every one else that i talked to there had the same opinion
Worst place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2018
The place has great employees. The kitchen however, has lots of people from the same nationality who gossip n overwork those outside their nationality.

Most of them are adults with childlike behavior.
Pros
Free meal, most coworkers are friendly n awesome
Cons
Overworked, unappreciated, criticizes your work no matter how hard you try, nepotism
Good if you don't care
Table Games (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2018
The management is absolute garbage, no critical thinking skills at all only regurgitation of what the owners tell them, the only people that succeed are the ones who put no effort into their work that tow the company line, if you do not care about this job and are great at sucking up it can be a great place to work because at the bottom of the totem pole it is near impossible to get fired but as soon as you start to express concerns and move up your job is as secure as a room with no walls. It wasn't bad before the new management took over but afterwards they created a hostile work environment that is nothing but distrust, it's no wonder the casino does not have customers, when your employees despise the place they work they aren't going to make the customers want to be there.
Pros
Non-management coworkers are fantastic
Cons
Management is a joke, Owners despise their employees
poor
former employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2018
Surveillance is watching security and reporting there mistakes. My question is Who is watching surveillance ? ou should have a negative column rating. All managers should be evaluated. It seems like the rules change on a daily bases. No communication between departments.. Its nothing but a daily guessing game for the blue collar workers.
Pros
there is none
Cons
every manager in every department along with every policy and procedure
would not recommend working here.
former employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
Overall not a bad place to work if you watch your back and keep your nose to the grind stone. Be wary of some of management...not very professional or conducive to staff well being. The best part of working there were the other co-workers I worked with and made lasting relationships with, really miss them. Workplace culture can be fun and enjoyable.
Pros
the people
Cons
no respect or recognition for hard work done. Lots of back stabbing and gossip.
Worst place I've worked thus far
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2018
Honestly, maybe 6 of the people there could be considered capable, and none of them are in management positions. There is a nepotism problem worse than the French monarchy, and the workers are treated like they have no where else to go. You are expected to do the work of multiple people while there is ample staff to solve any problem. While there are a few people who have any integrity, most lack any sign of it. You will always be dumped on with more hours even if you expect part time
Pros
Free bowling
Cons
Toxic work environment, bad management, theft
Demanding
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Canada18 November 2017
Not good management, not very fair hours or management. Pricey and long wait, flexible with hours and understanding of other commitments a person may have
Pros
Fairly flexible
Ample Opportunity for Advancement
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2017
Many past reviews for this company are in regards to the F&B department, which has been struggling for some time. But this doesn't speak true for the rest of the casino. Overall this is an amazing place to work. I've never felt more valued by my employer. They never fail to recognize hard work, and my efforts have never gone unnoticed. Century Casino offers a lot of different training opportunities for further advancement. As well, this is the kind of workplace where everyone has a voice, and all ideas are heard. The company is always looking for way to appreciate its employees, and I have a great working relationship with our management team. Don't shy away because of the reviews in F&B, they're working hard to turn things around within that team as well. My guess is, that some people just don't see the need for change.
Pros
Great team, staff BBQs, fun Christmas party, Facebook contests
Cons
some employees stuck in the old way, negative attitudes
Poor management
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 October 2017
Don't be confused by any adds saying you're applying for a bartending position, everyone is considered a server and you will be forced to serve. Management has little to no respect for staff input and will often ask for advice just to do the opposite. There's constantly new staff as no one is happy anymore. Due to poor communication with customers about menus changes, rising prices, happy hour change etc, what used to be a profitable job has spiralled down as there are very few regulars that return.
All and all I would stay clear.
Pros
Good coworkers
New Management Sucks
Bartender, Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2017
The casino used to be a fun place to work but recently we've gotten new management and the whole work community is suffering. Many staff members no longer feel appreciated and are unsure of their job security. The new food and beverage manager is rude and frankly has no business sense and will likely run the casino into the ground.
Used to be a great place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2017
The casino was amazing for so long with a strong bond with staff and clients until they got new management and fired everyone that was good for no more reason then *change* now it's gone so far downhill I don't know if it will ever be a great place to work again. The higher ups are two faced and if you work here best advice, trust no one. Keep your nose down and do your job because if you so much as sneeze in the wrong direction you're probably fired. It's lost all its family feel and now feels like a boot camp.
Pros
The pros have all been fired
Cons
Management doesn't know how to manage
Be careful working here.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2017
Management practices double standards and favoritism. You will only feel undervalued and underappreciated. The kitchen lacks structure and functions very poorly. There is no room for growth or obtaining beneficial knowledge towards the cooking industry.
Pros
Free lunches for kitchen staff.
Cons
Toxic work environment.
Worst kitchen go
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2017
Honestly my time here was okay. They love keeping workers who dont show up to work or who is always late. They dont appreciate the hard workers. People here take over one hour break and no one seems to do anything.
Pros
Free staff meal
Cons
Don't deviate from the party line
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2017
If you like to be under valued and not listened to, this would be the place to work.
They enjoy keeping the worst workers and getting rid of the people that draw attention to this. Don't dissent in any form here or HR will have you out the door.
Top management is there as a title, because it's the HR department that runs the show.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No help, your just a number.