Centre for Addiction and Mental Health logo
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

CAMH is an employer of choice!

Wonderful experience at CAMHJ and I only wish I could have stayed beyond the contract!The staff were amazing and the work is meaningful.I would highly recommend working at CAMH.

Pros

meaningful work

Cons

contract

Camh

It was a very good experience. The staff were friendly and really helped me out when I had any questions. People were courteous, friendly, warm and approachable. I recommend it to anybody who wants to start out!

No wonder its the number one cancer hospital in Canada

One of the most well-organized institutions I have worked at. Would recommend it to anyone who is considering an opportunity here.

Focus is on youth rather than on experienced workers. Co workers were all very young so that more experienced workers are not appreciated

Pros

Somewhat friendly environment

Cons

Sometimes stressfu

I have enjoyed working in my role as Finance Coordinator with the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. In a very short time I have been able to interact with pretty much all the departments within the organization. I have earned the healthcare experience that I desired and I feel I am ready to embrace new challenges.

Pros

Work Hours

Cons

Going through restructuring

Working At CAMH

A place guaranteed to provide multiple learning opportunities and continuous growing. CAMH is always welcoming diversity and acceptance on multi-disciplinary teams to provide care and support to the targeted population interacted with.

Excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with a clinical setting

A typical day at work involves my recording court appearances and relevant documentation for CAMH - this includes client names, dates, community service hours/sanctions assigned, urine sample information, bail modifications, and personal reminders (i.e. of documentation to bring for next appearance, such as doctor's notes, health card, proof of address, etc). Additionally, I provide personal support to clients before, during break and after Drug Treatment Court. It is a fantastic learning opportunity and a good way to familiarize yourself with clinical and court settings.

Inclusive and passionate staff, people love to work here.

Great place to work. When people get a job at CAMH they often stay for a long time. It's very hard to leave. People are happy to work here and enjoy their jobs which makes it a very enjoyable work environment. There are some bothersome bureaucratic policies but those are expected at a hospital/research facility.

Healthcare

Psychiatric Hospital Forensic System Incorporated Projects Political Courageous Patients Family Welcome Diversity Independence Bureaucratic Needs Knowledge Translation Focus Strong Union

Micromanagement of professionals

CAMH has taken to hiring managers for clinical programmes who have no clinical experience but are great with completing excel spreadsheets. If you yourself have a mental health issue they are not supportive and are sometimes quite cruel. Many staff are stressed and feel no agency over their work environment. Saying no is not an option.

Pros

Decent salary

Jobs at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

See more jobs

GPU nursing

As nursing students we followed one client for the day and assisted in their care along with the RN. We took part in various activities that happened during the day; e.g., yoga, community walk and group therapy.

A good place to learn and gain health sector knowledge

A good place to learn and gain knowledge about Ontario hospitals and community sectors specially LHIN Local Health Integrated Network)

Pros

An opportunity to learn Ontario health sector finding and business knowledge

Cons

A very tight project deadlines

Excellent rehabilitation environment and an overall excellent placement experience

During my placement at CAMH in Toronto I was a Behaviour Therapist placement student. I was placed through my Behavioural Science Technology program at George Brown College to assist with behavioural programming, design and implement a reduction program, and work as a member of an inter-professional team to provide the best overall rehabilitation services to forensic patients dealing with mental health issues. I had the opportunity to work with an excellent team of Nurses, Occupational, Behavioural and Recreational Therapists, Dietitian's, Social Workers and Psychiatrists. This was an overall excellent learning experience.

Great place

I'm just volunteering here, but it's great. A fun environment with lots of support.

Great

Great people. Great work environment. Opportunities for further education and occupational support.

Good workplace. Excellent benefits package and vacation time. Excellent environment for learning and growing yourself and career,

Challenging and diverse

Fun working with youth, very rewarding to teach and set example for vulnerable young people

Offers many services

Large number of services provided to the community. Reputable agency

Excellent Workplace

Lovely people challenging work environment excellent rewards

Pros

great atmosphere

Cons

old offices/computers

I was at CAMH for a totoal of 13 years, 10 years spent in Research and 3 years in a Clinical enviroment. Overall I enjoyed the years at CAMH.

Every day was hectic, especially Monday’s and Wednesday’s if there were clinics being held. A typical day would start at 7:30 a.m. I would unlock the filing cabinets; check the mail box to see if Canada Post had delivered any mail the previous day after I had left the office. I would then spend an hour or doing some filing. Check my emails to see if any of the clinicians had sent me an email regarding letters requesting client information from outside hospitals and/or agencies. I would also check to see if Dr. Liu had sent me a report to be sent out. I would format the report and check it for grammatical and/or spelling errors. As these reports went out to family Doctors and outside agencies that the client may be involved with (i.e. Surrey Place Centre) and the client’s family. One the most important aspects of the Admin position was admitting clients by registering them in ADT, after the client was admitted if they were a new client ADT would give them a client number as well as an14 digit encounter number. If the client had been previously admitted to CAMH they would already have a six digit client number and would only be assigned an encounter number. I developed a tracking sheet where I would list the client, make note of the client and encounter and Health Record numbers as well as who the clinician was that was involved with the client. I would then make note of them on the Excel CASE List on the Intake sheet, as well as make note that of this on the tracking sheet. If there happen to be request for information attached to the admittance I would do -

Pros

We would get together as a group after work every once in a while.

Cons

Sometimes the hours could be long, answering the door constantly could be very distracting.

Very productive environment, gratifying and ideal for individuals seeking substantial research experience

A typical day at the CAMH is often busy and your time well utilized. I was able to contribute to the regulatory applications process using what I had learned in the CRA program - the practical experience allowed me to gain insight into the reality of grant proposals, which is a huge plus for a research assistant since that quality is a major aspect of being a Research Associate/Coordinator. Database creation, database maintenance/entry/checking and maintaining CRFs were also tasks attended to on a regular basis, which again, is a another major plus for an aspiring CRA/CRC.

Pros

Not being hindered from broadening your learning experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement